Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-04-2016, 11:11 AM   #101
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

^
Basketball is a horrible sport to watch on TV, but can be quite entertaining in person. It's the complete opposite of football, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Was it a sellout?
19,600 was the official attendance, so yes.

The Raptors and Jays both are really embracing the 'Canada's Team' concept. Wisely too. If you can draw 20,000 in the middle of the Prairies for a pre-season game, that can only translate into merchandise sales and higher TV ratings.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #102
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my opinion basketball is the best live sport. That's not to say that I enjoy going to basketball games the most, but the difference between experiencing basketball in person v. basketball on TV is the greatest.
Old 10-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #103
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
I'm not a basketball fan and only went to the game because the tickets were cheap, however, I had a really enjoyable time. The crowd was younger, more diverse and livelier than those at Flames games. I enjoy watching live sports because of the non-scripted atmosphere so I loved seeing the entire lower bowl stand up for the last minute or so.
Basketball is what the cool kids are watching these days it seems lol, not the primary reason for anyone who does not watch it now to starting watching it but it does explain the younger crowd, all my younger nephews prefer the NBA to NHL, sure helps with the Raptors success. Hopefully not a 20 year wait again!
Old 10-04-2016, 12:44 PM   #104
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had a blast last night. The NBA does a good job of putting on a show. The place was sold out and rocking.

That being said, the most boring part of the night was when the actual basketball was being played in the 2nd and 3rd quarters. 4th quarter was a blast though.

I just don't find it an entertaining enough product to get jazzed up about that middle stretch of the game. (to be fair, I feel the same way about hockey some of the time too these days). Different strokes for different folks I guess. Would still go again next year though.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:59 PM   #105
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have a shred of interest in basketball but got tickets for ####s and giggles, since I had never been to a live basketball game before. Have to say I was rather impressed by the product the Raptors put on, even if there were parts of the game where I didn't care for the product on the court.

The atmosphere was miles better than any Flames game I have been to. It really felt like a big deal.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #106
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wish I went. I've been trying to get back into basketball the last couple years, mainly because NBA 2K is the best sports game out there

I've been to a couple games in Phoenix and also an All-Star game. NBA is great live, I'd go to any basketball game over a Stamps game easily
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:47 PM   #107
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
The atmosphere was miles better than any Flames game I have been to. It really felt like a big deal.
Most special events are. If we had 45 NBA games a year as a matter of routine, an exhibition Calgary 88s game would be similar to an exhibition Calgary Flames game.

The special event nature is why I was sad I couldn't make it out last night.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:04 PM   #108
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

All I wanted was the Raptor mascot to do a front flip dunk at half time. I left disappointed.

I really think Toronto should continue doing this each year as turn out was great and they put on a great show for the fans that came out!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:15 AM   #109
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
the difference between experiencing basketball in person v. basketball on TV is the greatest.
It's funny, many Americans I know say this about hockey. Can't follow it on TV for whatever reason, but they absolutely love it live.

No doubt the NFL (and football in general) is a made-for-TV sport.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:37 AM   #110
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 10-05-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote