bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #2
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
An interesting off-season with many questions:
Who will stay/go? I think both Bismack and DeMar will go.
Who should they build around? Jonas and Powell
Who should they draft? Trade the pick for immediate help at PF
Who should they sign as a FA? Nicolas Batum
They have Bruno, Bebe, Wright and Powell they've been developing so don't need anymore prospects for the time being. The 9th pick will spend a lot of time on the bench too so might as well move it.

Powell has great attitude, he said he's not taking anytime off and going straight to the gym to get better/stronger for next year.

I would like to see a sign and trade DeRozen to LA.
Sign Batum.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #3
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I think I'm more optimistic about Toronto's perception in the basketball world after this playoff run, especially after the League's biggest star gushed publicly about the fans and basketball culture in our country.

I don't know if it will necessarily translate to success in landing a big free agent, but I think it will at least cause some big players to give it consideration as opposed to the usual "Toronto, as in Canada?!! Yeah, no, not a chance", that's reportedly the norm for star players.

The dream scenario would be Kevin Durant, who has previously seriously considered Toronto, sees everything happening in Toronto and goes, "man, I was considering it before, but look at the fanbase and city now, plus the team is one superstar away from being contenders, and I'd be that guy".

I know it's dreaming, but man would that be awesome.

Last edited by jayswin; 05-28-2016 at 02:10 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2016, 04:15 PM   #4
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

How much can DeMar make this off-season? I hear that the TV deal in the NBA has made these new max contracts outrageous
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:28 PM   #5
jayswin

Exp:

With the NHL's simplicity in salary cap and rules I'm always left confused by the majority of American sports in this regard. This is what I found on "max contracts" in the nba.

Quote:
Maximum Player Salaries
As under the prior CBA, in the first year of a new contract a player may receive the greater of 105% of the player’s prior salary, or:

0-6 years of service: 25% of Salary Cap ($12 million this year).

7-9 years of service: 30% of Salary Cap ($14.4 million this year).

10 or more years of service: 35% of Salary Cap ($16.8 million this year).
The maximum player salaries will continue to be based on a 48.04% of BRI Salary Cap (not on the new, higher Salary Cap).
His prior contract was $9.5 mil. So with the salary cap projected to be upwards of $90mil that means he could be around $25mil???? That can't be right? There's no way a guy like DeRozan could be worth that much is there? Wow.

Last edited by jayswin; 05-28-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:28 PM   #6
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Max Contract

Quote:
Per collective bargaining rules, the Raptors will be able to offer DeRozan up to five years at around $145 million, whereas other teams will be able to offer him up to four years at around $107 million. Toronto general manager Masai Ujiri will address the media early next week.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:30 PM   #7
jayswin

Exp:

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nb...p-projections/

Quote:
The NBA’s salary cap projects to climb to roughly $90 million for the 2016-17 season, possibly higher.
Quote:
Max contracts project to start at $21.1 million for players with up to six years of experience, $25.3 million for those with seven to nine years, and $29.5 million for those with 10 or more years.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:32 PM   #8
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
Max Contract
Oh wow, it's even worse, so $29mil/yr by the Raptors.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #9
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I let Derozan go to be honest. In a sign and trade if need be. But I move on.

Anyone who signs DeRozan to anywhere near a max contract will end their franchise's prospects for the duration of the contract.

I try to move on from Carrol as well.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:38 PM   #10
jayswin

Exp:

So the Raptors are really at a crossroads as a franchise, as they have built a really great team, but as we've seen in the NBA you simply can't put together a really great team and hope they upset some teams and win a championship like the NHL.

You either get a superstar or two or you have pretty much a zero percent chance of even advancing to the finals, let alone winning it all. The Raptors this season took that nearly zero percent chance about as far as a team with no superstars could.

I hope Masai Ujiri goes balls out in attempting to land a free agent like Kevin Durant and moves on from Demar DeRozan. The sad thing is, signing Demar would actually continue to make us a VERY strong team, but if your goal is to attempt to win it all you're basically saying "Yeah, no, we can't be a championship team in this league, but we'll have strong seasons".

Last edited by jayswin; 05-28-2016 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-28-2016, 04:39 PM   #11
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you really thing Masai has the sway to let DeRozan walk or trade him?

It's the right basketball move, but this is another in MLSE stable, and that means revenue is the goal. DeRozan is popular and a big part of the growth in the Raptors popularity over the last couple of years. I just don't think they let him make that move.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:44 PM   #12
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Do you really thing Masai has the sway to let DeRozan walk or trade him?

It's the right basketball move, but this is another in MLSE stable, and that means revenue is the goal. DeRozan is popular and a big part of the growth in the Raptors popularity over the last couple of years. I just don't think they let him make that move.
Yeah, unfortunately this team is basically another Blue Jays situation, they'll likely play it safe and just go for the really good team. I couldn't see MLSE paying out luxury taxes to compete with the big franchises even though they could easily afford it.

Just like Rogers and the Blue Jays with their "what do you expect? To spend with the big teams and attempt to win a championship? Keep dreaming stupid fans, this is a business, we'll spend enough to keep your stupid buts in the seats and eyes on the TV and no more".
Old 05-28-2016, 04:48 PM   #13
jayswin

Exp:

Sorry Nik, I misinterpreted your post a little there, as obviously signing Derozan does cost a lot, and you were suggesting the owners will want to play it safe and keep the "familiar" star that they think the fans love over exploring other opportunities to bring them to the next level.

I'm leaving my Rogers rant, though.
Old 05-28-2016, 05:38 PM   #14
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
They have Bruno, Bebe, Wright and Powell they've been developing so don't need anymore prospects for the time being. The 9th pick will spend a lot of time on the bench too so might as well move it.

Powell has great attitude, he said he's not taking anytime off and going straight to the gym to get better/stronger for next year.

I would like to see a sign and trade DeRozen to LA.
Sign Batum.
This off-season I have no idea what will happen. Last year was pretty much the same, with a lot of small moves. Carroll was a trial, and while I wouldn't say it failed, I didn't think it was as good as expected. As for the three guys mentioned above, do any of them have any potential considering they've been at the end of the bench if anything? Powell looked really smart in limited action but I don't know about the other guys.

As for what I think they should do, when you look at the other teams who are elite, they either have an athletic superstar (ie: Durant and Lebron), or highly intelligent players (ie: Golden State and San Antonio team). Having said this, if the franchise is serious about going for a championship, there are only those two ways (IMO) to get one. If they don't go after Durant this off-season, then they have to build through smart roster signings of ONLY guys who can think quick (and also having good shooting percentages). You look at both GS and OKC, and you have both amazingly intelligent teams. When the game comes down to the last few minutes they think fast, yet make elite non-selfish passes with no panic, when in the Raps situation in crunch time they have one guy (mostly Lowry and DeRozan), who hog the ball and chuck it up with generally a bad or lucky shot. If they somehow sign players who are smart (like Corey Joseph), I think the team can build nicely.

There aren't many elite PG's, so I think by default you have to live with Lowry, so you build around Lowry, Joseph, Valenciunas, and you use everyone else at trade bait. Where the Raps can probably differentiate from other teams is to get a good C. Those are pretty rare nowadays.
Old 05-29-2016, 06:17 PM   #15
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

What are thoughts on moving the 9th and T-Ross for Nerlens Noel? is it an over/under payment? Gives the Raps a young starter at the 4 with loads of potential but who is also further along in their development which helps a Raps team who is looking to win now. Ross would potentially start at the 2 for them and the 9th pick gives them a chance to draft another solid piece for the long term or throw it into another trade to bring in more veteran help (more likely since we're talking Colangelo here). According to realgm trade checker the salaries balance out.

I think it's an interesting option.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:39 PM   #16
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan97 View Post
What are thoughts on moving the 9th and T-Ross for Nerlens Noel? is it an over/under payment? Gives the Raps a young starter at the 4 with loads of potential but who is also further along in their development which helps a Raps team who is looking to win now. Ross would potentially start at the 2 for them and the 9th pick gives them a chance to draft another solid piece for the long term or throw it into another trade to bring in more veteran help (more likely since we're talking Colangelo here). According to realgm trade checker the salaries balance out.

I think it's an interesting option.
I'm probably failing to see how it helps the Sixers. I haven't seen Noel play, but just looking at his 11PPG and 8RPG, in his second season tells me that he's worth more than one of the dumbest players in the game, Ross. The 9th pick isn't particularly interesting this year, so I'm thinking it would be a team picking in the top 6ish who could offer up something similar, which would interest the Sixers. The Colangelo connection is interesting as well.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:06 PM   #17
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think everyone but Ross and Biyombo will be back next year. Ross could probably net you a comparable rotational player or high second round pick, Biyombo is going to get a stupid offer and the Raps simply won't be able to afford him even though I'm sure they'd love to keep him given what he brings as an energy, defensive first guy. And to be fair offensively he has improved a lot since he came into the league as a raw guy. He won't be JV with the moves and shooting, but he can finish effectively around the rim now.

One thing we have to remember is giving DeMar the max doesn't mean he's going to play the whole contract here. If it ever goes south, so long as he doesn't regress, he'll be easy enough to trade. We just gotta hope that he works his ass off all summer on the long range shooting. As a 35% 3PT shooter he becomes a lot more dangerous and opens things up more for him doing the pick and roll with JV instead of mostly Lowry. With the same team back, with more JV, more from Wright and Powell and whatever becomes of the 9th pick, be it player or trade, this will still be the team most likely to beat Cleveland (unless we see a Western star migrate somewhere). And maybe LeBron or Kyrie gets hurt and then who knows? Just don't see them breaking up a team this "close", even if we all know it's not that close. The Durant dream died when they beat San Antonio, if the Spurs beat them then maybe he goes, but I think he's in OKC at least one more year.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 05-29-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 01:34 PM   #18
jayswin

Exp:

Bismack said today he'd be open to a home town discount to stay in Toronto. Obviously that could just be talk, but nice to hear he's at least open to the idea of staying here.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 06:49 PM   #19
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they move Ross could they afford biz and DD? How much of a hometown discount would DD need to take ? I'm not super familiar with NBA cap and whatnot
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:03 PM   #20
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

[QUOTE=Jason14h;5773088]If they move Ross could they afford biz and DD? How much of a hometown discount would DD need to take ? I'm not super familiar with NBA cap and whatnot[/QUOTE

The simplified version is they are going to have very little wiggle room. MU saying he will need to be creative and that's pretty obvious. They really need to upgrade the PF position. Personally I think he needs to jettison Ross and Carroll and let Wright and Powell play more. Then use the number 9 pick and whatever else in a deal for a PF.

All simple to type but he is going to have to live up to his wheeler dealer status this summer.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote