Old 01-23-2014, 02:16 PM   #1
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Canada Planning on Bidding for 2026 World Cup

As per Sportsnet:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/cdn-s...d-for-2026-wc/

Quote:
TORONTO — The Canadian Soccer Association released its 2014-18 strategic plan Thursday, with an eye on a huge prize further down the line.

Hosting the 2026 FIFA World Cup.

"The process has to start now," CSA president Victor Montagliani said Thursday of a bid to stage "the grand-daddy of them all."
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2014, 02:17 PM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great, start bribing Platini now and we might just have a chance.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #3
wpgflamesfan
3 Wolves Short of 2 Millionth Post

Exp:

Good luck with that...
wpgflamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

AWESOME!!! I'm so stoked for this type of commitment from the CSA. What a great step in the right direction for soccer in Canada.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if you're the Flames.. do you wait and see if we get that bid and hedge your bets that the CSA/Government is going to help fund a brand new stadium for the Stamps, or do you move forward with your current plans?

Decisions decisions..
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #6
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

Who would blame them? It's the most probable way Canada will ever play a World Cup game.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lego Man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #7
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering the US has around 40 stadiums that can accomadate over 70,000 people and Canada has exactly 0, this seems absurdly ambitious. Dare to dream I guess, but obviously as always I am vehemently opposed to 1 cent of tax dollars going to this.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:27 PM   #8
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

ya I dont see this happening

2030 will be in Uruguay for the 100th anniversary so you can cross South America out

my guess is the US, a US/Mexico bid, or Western Europe gets it

not having the tournament in Europe from 2018-2034 would be a big surprise to me, the US would be the only thing that gets in the way of that IMO

if Canada wants to win this they need to go the Qatar route and while we have the oil, I dont think we are so willing to bribe as they were...
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #9
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
ya I dont see this happening

2030 will be in Uruguay for the 100th anniversary so you can cross South America out

my guess is the US, a US/Mexico bid, or Western Europe gets it

not having the tournament in Europe from 2018-2034 would be a big surprise to me, the US would be the only thing that gets in the way of that IMO

if Canada wants to win this they need to go the Qatar route and while we have the oil, I dont think we are so willing to bribe as they were...
Europe can't host in 2026 since Russia is hosting in 2018, making them ineligible for the next 2 world cups (2022 and 2026). Uruguay in 2030 sounds extremely unlikely. FIFA requires a minimum of 8 stadia over 40000 seats, with only one city allowed to have 2 venues. Uruguay is a country of 3.3 million people, more than half of whom live in Montevideo. I just don't see it happening. More than likely england hosts in 2030.

As for Canada hosting in 2026, it's about time we showed some ambition as a soccer nation. It's at least plausible that we can build/upgrade the venues in the 12 years leading up to 2026.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure the States wields as much power within FIFA as they do with the IOC. Even when you consider the difference in markets, which is massive, I don't think it would be the David vs. Goliath many would think at first thought.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #11
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Considering the US has around 40 stadiums that can accomadate over 70,000 people and Canada has exactly 0, this seems absurdly ambitious. Dare to dream I guess, but obviously as always I am vehemently opposed to 1 cent of tax dollars going to this.
By that time, Vancouver (BC Place) / Edmonton (Commonwealth) / Calgary (new stadium) / Winnipeg (Investors Group Field) / Toronto (Rogers Centre) / Montreal (Olympic Stadium) and possibly Ottawa and Hamilton as backups could all seat 40,000+.

With CSA's new Strategic Plan, along with the explosive growth of soccer in this country along with new MLS teams and potentially two more eventually (Edmonton and Calgary), along with the awesome mix of races and ethnicities in this country, Canada could be an intriguing location to look at for FIFA for that year.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Europe can't host in 2026 since Russia is hosting in 2018, making them ineligible for the next 2 world cups (2022 and 2026). Uruguay in 2030 sounds extremely unlikely. FIFA requires a minimum of 8 stadia over 40000 seats, with only one city allowed to have 2 venues. Uruguay is a country of 3.3 million people, more than half of whom live in Montevideo. I just don't see it happening. More than likely england hosts in 2030.

As for Canada hosting in 2026, it's about time we showed some ambition as a soccer nation. It's at least plausible that we can build/upgrade the venues in the 12 years leading up to 2026.
FIFA more or less scrapped their mandatory rotation requirements a few years ago.

Russia has the benefit of being swapped between being considered European or Asian depending on how FIFA want to swing things.

Uruguay in 2030 is basically a done deal. Chisel it in granite.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-23-2014, 03:11 PM   #13
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
By that time, Vancouver (BC Place) / Edmonton (Commonwealth) / Calgary (new stadium) / Winnipeg (Investors Group Field) / Toronto (Rogers Centre) / Montreal (Olympic Stadium) and possibly Ottawa and Hamilton as backups could all seat 40,000+.

With CSA's new Strategic Plan, along with the explosive growth of soccer in this country along with new MLS teams and potentially two more eventually (Edmonton and Calgary), along with the awesome mix of races and ethnicities in this country, Canada could be an intriguing location to look at for FIFA for that year.
And only Commonwealth is grass. A good 30 of those 40 American stadiums are grass. Major, major disadvantage for Canada. Also this is FIFA. Averging 45,000 people a game or 75,000 per, one makes substantially more money than the other. Since FIFA is FIFA, the money choice wins, so unless we have someone bribing them with deep pockets, its not happening.

For fun, the 1994 World Cup still has the highest attendance ever despite the fact it was the 24 team format then and not 32. If they're coming to North America, they're going to where they can have massive audiences. The US has that, Canada does not.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:17 PM   #14
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post

As Locke said

their 'rotation' is not set in stone, and also with the presidency up for grabs in 2015 I would imagine a lot of things are on the table for votes (i.e Platini badly needs all of Europe to have any hope of winning)

and Uruguay wont matter, whether they have to do it joint with Argentina or whatever, the final will be played in Uruguay, Fifa is nothing if not traditional
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #15
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

Quote:
And only Commonwealth is grass. A good 30 of those 40 American stadiums are grass. Major, major disadvantage for Canada. Also this is FIFA. Averging 45,000 people a game or 75,000 per, one makes substantially more money than the other. Since FIFA is FIFA, the money choice wins, so unless we have someone bribing them with deep pockets, its not happening.

For fun, the 1994 World Cup still has the highest attendance ever despite the fact it was the 24 team format then and not 32. If they're coming to North America, they're going to where they can have massive audiences. The US has that, Canada does not.
I agree completely.

There is absolutely no point in hosting the tournament, we are just way to far behind the US in every aspect.

Even as a fan... it's probably cheaper and I would rather visit a random place in the US than anywhere eastern Canada.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #16
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
As Locke said

their 'rotation' is not set in stone, and also with the presidency up for grabs in 2015 I would imagine a lot of things are on the table for votes (i.e Platini badly needs all of Europe to have any hope of winning)

and Uruguay wont matter, whether they have to do it joint with Argentina or whatever, the final will be played in Uruguay, Fifa is nothing if not traditional
Thats why I said that if we want to have a hope in hell we have to start bribing Platini right now! Before the other bribers start bribing him.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:21 PM   #17
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego Man View Post
I agree completely.

There is absolutely no point in hosting the tournament, we are just way to far behind the US in every aspect.

Even as a fan... it's probably cheaper and I would rather visit a random place in the US than anywhere eastern Canada.
Believe it or not, thats the one thing we've got going for us.

FIFA's official Prime Directive is to grow the game. What shield did you think they ducked behind when they awarded the World Cup to Russia and Qatar instead of the US or England?

"We need to grow the game!"

All else being equal, the fact that we need to grow the game in Canada more than elsewhere is our tie-breaker.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #18
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The grass part is true, but very solvable by 2026. As for capacities of stadiums, it's good point, but I don't think the CSA forgot about this when deciding to pursue the 2026 event.

Lots can happen, infrastructure-wise, between now and 2026. It's unlikely, but far, far from impossible.
Old 01-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #19
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

FIFA likes Canada. 2007 U20 World Cup was a success and 2015 Women's World Cup will be a success. I don't expect Canada to win the 2026 but you gotta start somewhere.
Maybe the 2034 or 2038 World Cup is more realistic.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 03:48 PM   #20
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anything they could potentially do a Canada/U.S. bid.

Vancouver, Seattle, L.A. + as Western venues.

Toronto, New York, Chicago, Boston as Eastern venues.

You pretty much need 8 world class soccer stadiums to host a World Cup, not sure how Canada makes that work.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post: