Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-20-2008, 04:29 PM   #1
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Wild Rose D-Tox

What do you guys think? Any stories to share? It seems like quite a loony thing to do but I've had a couple people I know and respect recommend the Wild Rose Herbal De-Tox.

I've been playing hockey, working out or running 6 days a week, 1 hour a day. I've also improved my diet quite a bit over the past few years, but I'm thinking that maybe this could be what finally forces me to tighten up my diet and completely get rid of the junk.
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Depends what you're trying to accomplish. If you're looking for a basic liver/kidney detox, then really what you should be looking at is a combination of Milk Thistle and a diuretic like Dandelion Root. I believe these are combined in the Wild Rose system. But really, if it's a pure liver purge you want to do, save some money and just buy some milk thistle from Shoppers or a herbal store. Look for the highest silymarin (the active ingredient) bang for your buck. If you've been a heavy drinker, prepare for some crazy dreams and weird feelings the first couple of days.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did this detox last year. I can't say that I found it too effective, nor too thrilling to actually do, but I guess it would depend on what you want to accomplish. I didn't find the pills and drops too hard to stick to, but some of the dietary requirements were hard for me.

In all, its only 10 days, so how bad could it be I suppose?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #4
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

I did this cleanse last year... the first two or three days are complete and utter hell, you suffer from "good food" withdrawal. I had a hamburger dream where I was eating a hamburger and it was soooo good and then I woke up and my hands were still in the shape of holding a burger, but there was no burger there.

My wife and I did it at the same time, I lost 10 pounds (in 12 freakin' days) and she lost 0 pounds. So not only could I not eat pizza, but my wife pretty much hated me because of the weight loss too.

Anyways I finished it without cheating and after the initial period where I wanted to eat everything bad for me, I got over it and my lifestyle didn't change to much.

The problem was I went back to eating the way I used to immediately afterwards and this cleanse should be more of a lifestyle adjustment. So hey if you're approaching it that you want to change your diet/life then all the power to you.. if you're just doing it to see if you can do it, I wouldn't bother.

Ps. I gained the 10 pounds back rather quickly.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a website or something for this? I have no idea what you're talking about but I'm interested.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:29 PM   #6
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I stopped drinking 13 years ago along with drugs, quit smoking 8 years ago. It's been 4 years since I ate meat and I've been really trying to cut the sugar out of my diet over the past year. Right now I'm down to twice a week, either ice cream or a coke.

Sure, the cleanse is probably healthy but I'm thinking it might be that kick in the ass to finally make a drastic change in my diet. Considering the garbage I was eating 5 years ago I've already come a long way. I've been considering a dietician also.

I workout pretty hard and never miss a day, just once a week to rest. If I lost this last bit of fat I'm very confident that it will stay off.

Rube, here's the info:

http://www.wildrose.com/productinfor..._specialty.htm
Engine09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
flamingchina
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

my girlfriend is starting a cleanse soon (and I am too I guess, as soon as this stupid cold goes away) I guess the nutritionalist at her work (she works at a high end fitness studio) doesn't recommend the wild rose cleanse anymore, as she thinks it's too "harsh"
flamingchina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:36 PM   #8
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is so crazy that you posted this, I was thinking about posting this today, being the day after the big May Long beer camping beachfest I had in Invermere this weekend. I workout all the time and feel like I just need that extra few pounds gone. That or I'll just do the P90x thing.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #9
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryzsky View Post
I stopped drinking 13 years ago along with drugs, quit smoking 8 years ago. It's been 4 years since I ate meat and I've been really trying to cut the sugar out of my diet over the past year. Right now I'm down to twice a week, either ice cream or a coke.

Sure, the cleanse is probably healthy but I'm thinking it might be that kick in the ass to finally make a drastic change in my diet. Considering the garbage I was eating 5 years ago I've already come a long way. I've been considering a dietician also.

I workout pretty hard and never miss a day, just once a week to rest. If I lost this last bit of fat I'm very confident that it will stay off.

Rube, here's the info:

http://www.wildrose.com/productinfor..._specialty.htm
What is it you're looking to change? It seems you've changed most everything already?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:41 PM   #10
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does it work? Do you just take the pills and not eat for a couple of days? That seems rather unhealthy.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:34 PM   #11
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

You still eat, but just have an incredibly restricted diet. I can't recall all of the details, but there is nothing fermented or with yeast for example. This means everything that you like and all of the seasonings to go with that are out of the question!

I was wolfing down rice cakes with Almond Butter. Day One...seems like a saving grace. Day 8....not so much!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 06:55 PM   #12
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I'm sorry but anytime there is a pill involved in diet it just reeks of quackery to me. As most of these things go, the words "cleanse" and "toxins" are all bull. Medically, there is really no such thing other than what your kidney does for you. The descriptions on those programs are all mostly BS and make no sense at all from a biological standpoint.

It would probably do the opposite of ridding your body of "toxins" and "pollutants". You lose the weight because your body and internal organs get stressed instead.

Can somebody post more information on it? Like how does the 10 days go? day 1 -> 10 ?

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 05-20-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:39 PM   #13
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope you enjoy pooping. Don't fart. It won't be a fart....it WILL be a poop. So on the first morning when you get to work and you think you can let a little squeaker go in your cubicle......you will poop yourself. COnsider yourself warned. I have never moved that awkwardly to the bathroom in my life. Wild rose is a decent detox.....but all you do is poo
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 08:27 PM   #14
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzy View Post
I hope you enjoy pooping. Don't fart. It won't be a fart....it WILL be a poop. So on the first morning when you get to work and you think you can let a little squeaker go in your cubicle......you will poop yourself. COnsider yourself warned. I have never moved that awkwardly to the bathroom in my life. Wild rose is a decent detox.....but all you do is poo
Wouldn't a double quarter pounder with extra cheese effectively accomplish do the same thing?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:02 PM   #15
joe_mullen
Scoring Winger

Exp:

couldn't resist replying to this topic...as medical professional i have never seen any studies suggesting any benefit to cleanses. please don't confuse this with anti-alternative medicine bias. in my way of thinking, all a cleanse would do is disrupt your natural bowel bacterial make-up and cause unhealthy weight loss (usually suggested 1 pound weight loss/week). a more healthy way of cleansing is eating a healthy diet, exercising daily, not smoking and drinking in moderation (7-10 drinks/week for women and 10-14 drinks/week for men).
joe_mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:42 PM   #16
macker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have no hands on experience with this but I would think that if you do it you are making a statement to yourself that your taking a stand etc. etc. I think it may be something you can rally around and after you do it you can continue on with other changes. I wouldn't pay much to do it as there are many home made varieties to cleanse but if nothing else you are sending yourself a strong message (think Twisted Sister "we're not going take it.....).
macker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:01 AM   #17
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Wouldn't a double quarter pounder with extra cheese effectively accomplish do the same thing?
Nah, but an Egg McMuffin, standard will do it every time... What is that yellow stuff on there? Margarine.... I think not!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:02 AM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This sounds like one of the most unpleasant things you could do to yourself.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #19
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh yes, the herbal laxatives are DELIGHTFUL!

Seriously I'm never doing this thing again.... and FYI, the full cleanse is supposed to go 12 days, not 10... unless they've changed it.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:49 AM   #20
Circa89
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_mullen View Post
couldn't resist replying to this topic...as medical professional i have never seen any studies suggesting any benefit to cleanses. please don't confuse this with anti-alternative medicine bias. in my way of thinking, all a cleanse would do is disrupt your natural bowel bacterial make-up and cause unhealthy weight loss (usually suggested 1 pound weight loss/week). a more healthy way of cleansing is eating a healthy diet, exercising daily, not smoking and drinking in moderation (7-10 drinks/week for women and 10-14 drinks/week for men).

In your medical opinion, what is this nonsense regarding fecal matter spackled to your colon? Several detox programs make the claim that there is "X" amount of fecal build up on the colon walls. I find this hard to believe, much akin to the popular urban myth that gum takes 7 years to digest. Is there any truth to the colon cleanse theory, or is it just a bunch of crap!
Circa89 is offline   Reply With Quote