Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2014, 03:53 PM   #241
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The total area of solar panels it would take to power the world, Europe, and Germany

http://boingboing.net/2014/06/12/the...ar-panels.html

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 03:58 PM   #242
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ Any back-up to that?

My Dad was trying to tell me they'd have to cover the entire Mojave in mirrors to power the US. I knew it wasn't true because I have done a lot of research on solar before, but didn't have the data with me obviously.
Old 06-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #243
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Here's the source:

http://www.dlr.de/tt/Portaldata/41/R...ansmission.pdf
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2014, 10:56 AM   #244
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://business.financialpost.com/20...arming-hiatus/
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:15 AM   #245
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneufenstein View Post
Oh good, someone else who doesn't understand that stagnant surface temperatures /= no climate change.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #246
photon

Exp:

Old 06-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #247
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

What does that graph show Photon? How can the heat be negative? I understand there can be less heat than a certain average period; but if that's the case how can there be more heat in 2008; when 2008-2012 is what the blue line shows.

I ask because I don't understand; not trying to be confrontational.

It's actually some of these graphs that I think work against getting people to understand what CC is all about. I know one posted earlier shows a temperature increase; but the flat line of the early 20th century has one notch per degree, then after 1970 1 notch shows .2 degrees or something. Meaning the graph shows a spike; but the spike isn't to scale.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 01:53 PM   #248
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Oh good, someone else who doesn't understand that stagnant surface temperatures /= no climate change.
The argument in the article is that C02 levels don't necessarily cause climate change.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:22 PM   #249
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
What does that graph show Photon? How can the heat be negative?
As far as I understand the graph shows an anomaly, so plus or minus vs a baseline, plus it's a calculated value based on temperature profile, density, etc.

More info here:

http://www.nodc.noaa.gov/OC5/3M_HEAT_CONTENT/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_heat_content

But now that you ask I'm not positive (since it doesn't actually say anomaly) that I understand it correctly. I'll check into it further.

Quote:
It's actually some of these graphs that I think work against getting people to understand what CC is all about. I know one posted earlier shows a temperature increase; but the flat line of the early 20th century has one notch per degree, then after 1970 1 notch shows .2 degrees or something. Meaning the graph shows a spike; but the spike isn't to scale.
Agreed graphs can be easy to mess with to over/understate or otherwise misrepresent.
Old 06-17-2014, 02:28 PM   #250
photon

Exp:

Quote:
The argument in the article is that C02 levels don't necessarily cause climate change.
Well if that's its argument, all else being equal then it's wrong.

It's a basic question of does CO2 trap infrared radiation. No one can dispute this fact (or no one should, doesn't stop some though). More CO2, the equilibrium will shift and more heat is retained (all else being equal).
Old 06-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #251
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Well if that's its argument, all else being equal then it's wrong.

It's a basic question of does CO2 trap infrared radiation. No one can dispute this fact (or no one should, doesn't stop some though). More CO2, the equilibrium will shift and more heat is retained (all else being equal).
Is it really that simple though?
Why has the temperature leveled off in the past 15 years?

Is there overwhelming evidence that the climate change is human-caused?

What about the ice ages that the planet has seen?

I don't try to pretend that I know anything for a fact.
The problem is there's way too much information and misinformation on both sides of the coin which makes it hard to know who to believe, and one is left to basically pick a side.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:16 PM   #252
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The problem is there's way too much information and misinformation on both sides of the coin which makes it hard to know who to believe, and one is left to basically pick a side.
It really is that simple.

The question posed is does a higher level of C02 trap more heat from an infrared source, and the answer is, without a doubt, yes.

This answer has almost nothing to do with the debate on man-made climate change vs non-man-made climate change, it has to do with the physical properties of a gas mixture that contains more CO2 vs one that doesn't.
Old 06-17-2014, 03:22 PM   #253
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://www.skepticalscience.com/glob...nuary-2008.htm

Global temperatures continue to rise steadily beneath the short-term noise.

http://www.ipcc.ch/
http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/219038.pdf
http://www.globalchange.gov/
http://nca2014.globalchange.gov/high...anging-climate
http://www.epa.gov/climatechange/sci.../download.html

http://www.skepticalscience.com/clim...arm-period.htm

Climate reacts to whatever forces it to change at the time; humans are now the dominant forcing.

http://www.skepticalscience.com/glob...-consensus.htm

97% of climate experts agree humans are causing global warming.

Last edited by troutman; 06-17-2014 at 03:25 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2014, 03:55 PM   #254
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I would say that if you don't know and plead ignorance, it would be safest to listen to the vast majority of scientists and not opinions of politicians and other people that really have no clue (which, honestly, is most of us). I'm not going to claim to understand all the nitty gritty of it. But the people who study it everyday are telling me/us it's happening and it's being made exponentially worse by human industrialization. That's good enough for me.
Old 06-17-2014, 04:12 PM   #255
photon

Exp:

Quote:
That depends on what you mean by "it". I said:

It's a basic question of does CO2 trap infrared radiation.... More CO2, the equilibrium will shift and more heat is retained (all else being equal).

All else being equal, well then yes of course it is that simple. We're a ball in space (which is a good insulator) with a single source of incoming energy (the sun). So much energy comes in, so much energy goes out, that reaches an equilibrium where the two are balanced. Change one factor (how much comes in, how much goes out) and the point of equilibrium changes.

Now of course all else isn't equal, there are multiple things (forcings) that come into play. Eject the earth from the solar system, we could have Venus levels of CO2 and it won't help us keep warm. Double the output of the sun, getting rid of all the greenhouse gasses won't keep us from boiling alive.

That's what climate science does, is study all the various forcings and their impacts to determine what the cause is for the observed phenomenon.

Sometimes people post here that "climate has changed in the past", that's true, but that's like saying people die so no reason to look for a murderer when someone dies. Every change in climate has a cause, and they look for fingerprints of various causes to differentiate between one and the other.

Human generated CO2 is the dominant forcing at his time according to those fingerprints.

Quote:
troutman posted some links that sum it up pretty well but the short answer is it hasn't, it's just easy to cherry pick short term spans in a noisy signal that will show a short term trend contrary to the actual trend.

A good parallel would be during the span where the Kings had only won 1 game in 10.. How could the Kings be a playoff team let alone a cup contender playing at a 1 win in 10 games pace?

The answer is because looking at short term trend, especially one that I specifically chose (just like people specifically choose 1989 for their "leveled off" claims because it was an El Nino high year), isn't meaningful when what I'm really looking for is long term trends (i.e. how the game is played over a season, or how climate is changing over the long term).

Picking just short term cherry picked ranges you get this:

And that's the reason I posted the graph I did, because while atmospheric temperature points may look like they're not moving up, the ocean still is.

Just like if the atmosphere was nudging up but the ocean levels were going down such that the net change was zero, then there wouldn't be global warming, just atmospheric warming.

Quote:
I think there is. At its simplest CO2 is increased, we know because of Carbon isotope ratios that the increase of CO2 is from the fossil fuels we're burning (plus we know we're digging millions of years of carbon locked into the earth and releasing it into the atmosphere, that's what burning gas/oil/coal IS by definition). We know CO2 changes the energy balance of the planet. If the earth wasn't warming then we'd have to figure out what else was changing to compensate.

troutman also posted lots of good links.

Quote:
No one claims that humans are the only thing that can impact climate, there are lots of other things that can and do. As I mentioned though the argument that "humans die of natural causes therefore this dead human died of natural causes" isn't valid. We have to figure out why a specific change occurred, and that cause may be different than what caused other changes. Things like atmospheric composition, moving continents (and the resulting uplifts and ocean current changes), orbital cycles, solar variation, and volcanic activity can all contribute.

Quote:
Well we don't know anything for a fact, really.. We don't know that gravity will work tomorrow for a fact, but we provisionally accept it based on the best observations and theories because ultimately we have to live our lives and do stuff.

Facts in science refer to observations. That the global average temperature has been increasing is a fact. The cause of facts, the framework that explains a group of facts or a phenomenon, is a scientific theory (different from the common language usage of theory), which has explanatory and predictive power.

So it's not a matter of pretending to know something for a fact, it's making provisional judgements based on the best available information and understanding. All the information points to humans being the dominant forcing at this time.

Quote:
One doesn't have to pick a side. There's lots of issues where I don't choose a side because I don't feel I know enough to make a reasoned judgement. People all too often pick a side based on ideology regardless of reason or information.

From the actual science there's not much in the way of misinformation, if it's wrong it's wrong honestly (and if you can show it to be wrong then you'll be famous). So to avoid misinformation the best way is to assume that the media is getting it wrong (they always get science wrong) and go to the source.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2014, 04:17 PM   #256
photon

Exp:

Quote:
What does that graph show Photon? How can the heat be negative?
Yeah it's an anomaly and 1980 is the baseline. Everything positive is y axis units x 10^22 Joules above 1980 levels, everything negative is below 1980 levels.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:04 AM   #257
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Quote:

Did you watch the Cosmos episode that covered global warming? It covers all this nicely, and is an excellent episode overall.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:26 AM   #258
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't know enough about the science to really discuss this, but I found the article interesting.

http://business.financialpost.com/20...arming-hiatus/

Basically seems to be saying that the data we are getting isn't showing the temperature increase we were expecting from the levels of CO2 in the atmosphere.

If it continues as it is, by 2015/2017 we will need to correct our models for what CO2 does to increase temperatures.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #259
photon

Exp:

That's the article that was posted above.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #260
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
That's the article that was posted above.
oops.

I missed it, mostly because the responses to it seemed that it is denying climate change.

My read was that it was simply saying that based on the information from the last 15 years (which shows that the temperature hasn't been going up like expected given atmospheric CO2 rates), that the model might be wrong.

Getting the right information and building the right model is the best thing to do no matter what side of the debate you are on.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote