Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2024, 03:28 PM   #1421
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Pospisil is a keeper.
I don’t see why. Was Ferland a keeper?

Pospisil is a 24 year old rookie with 20 points in 56 games, with a cautionary tape wrapped around his head due to an unfortunate concussion history.

Is that a keeper, or just a player who is a fan favourite because there’s nearly no one else to cheer for at this time?
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2024, 03:32 PM   #1422
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pospisil is my next jersey buy but he is certainly not a keeper.

Too many ? marks and not core-player potential.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 03:41 PM   #1423
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

For me, it's too early to say that a homegrown prospect that brings grease and jam to his game while also contributing some points in his first ever NHL season (that still isn't over yet) is a keeper, but would be equally silly to put him on some sort of list of players to be eventually moved out, but maybe I'm crazy!

Edit - messed up his age!

Last edited by activeStick; 04-06-2024 at 04:46 PM.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 03:51 PM   #1424
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
For me, it's too early to say that a 20-year old homegrown prospect that brings grease and jam to his game while also contributing some points in his first ever NHL season (that still isn't over yet) is a keeper, but would be equally silly to put him on some sort of list of players to be eventually moved out, but maybe I'm crazy!
Pospisil?

He's not 20
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2024, 03:59 PM   #1425
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if Pospisil sticks around. He plays the game on edge and he makes things happen. Unfortunately some of those things are putting the Flames shorthand and putting himself at risk of suspension and opponents at risk of injury. If he doesn't play smarter he'll start to bounce around from team to team.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 04:02 PM   #1426
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Pospisil a lot and I think he adds a lot to the identity of the team.
But I question his effective longevity, and if a team gives a good offer for him, the Flames have to listen.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 04:02 PM   #1427
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pops could be a keeper but given the way he plays and he himself has a high chance of having his own career ended early because of his own concussion history, it doesn't make for a long term viable option for a long term deal.
Old 04-06-2024, 04:06 PM   #1428
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pospisil has some amazing fancy stats, and there was a time when our win-loss record was virtually tied to his presence in the lineup. He’s much more valuable than he appears.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2024, 04:31 PM   #1429
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
We went from turning down Markstrom for 1st + Holtz to throwing away the Vancouver 1st + Pospisil for nothing?
What are you talking about? You think that a 2025 top 10 protected 1st and Holtz for Markstrom at 50% retained and another player who from the rumours I have heard probably was Pospisil is the same value as pick #9 in this draft, no retention on Markstrom, a very late 1st and Pospisil? Chances are with Markstrom and a healthy team that 2025 pick starts in the 20's. It isn't close.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 04:35 PM   #1430
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pospisil and Kylington are the two main reasons why this team is even watchable right now, everyone else is either actively bad or good but vanilla. They’re exciting and interesting players so I would keep them around until they don’t want to be around.
Old 04-06-2024, 04:37 PM   #1431
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Pospisil and Kylington are the two main reasons why this team is even watchable right now, everyone else is either actively bad or good but vanilla. They’re exciting and interesting players so I would keep them around until they don’t want to be around.
If you have to include Pospisil to get #9 from NJ so you can pick #8 and #9 you do that without a second thought. That gets you one of the top forwards and one of the top D men in this draft.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2024, 04:51 PM   #1432
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Pospisil is a 24 year old rookie with 20 points in 56 games, with a cautionary tape wrapped around his head due to an unfortunate concussion history.

Is that a keeper, or just a player who is a fan favourite because there’s nearly no one else to cheer for at this time?
The Flames need more Pospisils
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2024, 04:54 PM   #1433
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
What are you talking about? You think that a 2025 top 10 protected 1st and Holtz for Markstrom at 50% retained and another player who from the rumours I have heard probably was Pospisil is the same value as pick #9 in this draft, no retention on Markstrom, a very late 1st and Pospisil? Chances are with Markstrom and a healthy team that 2025 pick starts in the 20's. It isn't close.
Just two short months ago:

Quote:
Not enough. The 1st+Mercer gets you Markstrom value wise. So you are going to trade Noah Hanifin for Bahl and a 2nd? Conroy would have to be drunk to do that.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 05:00 PM   #1434
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I have an occasionally recurring dream where I go to a Flames game, and find that my seat is in a section from which I can't even see the ice.

I'm not sure whether that's a nightmare or not.
For the last dozen games of this season that’s a bonus.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 05:02 PM   #1435
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
Just two short months ago:
You don't understand how values change based on timing do you? Like no clue. That was the ask at the time, the Flames wanted Mercer instead of Holtz. They were still in the playoff hunt as were the Devils. That absolutely changes value. Also value wise I think #9 in this draft is worth more than Dawson Mercer. You are also getting Holtz as well and not retaining anything on Markstrom. The Van 1st is basically the equivalent of a 2nd rnd pick.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:16 PM   #1436
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You don't understand how values change based on timing do you? Like no clue. That was the ask at the time, the Flames wanted Mercer instead of Holtz. They were still in the playoff hunt as were the Devils. That absolutely changes value. Also value wise I think #9 in this draft is worth more than Dawson Mercer. You are also getting Holtz as well and not retaining anything on Markstrom. The Van 1st is basically the equivalent of a 2nd rnd pick.
In the playoff hunt? Is that code for being on track to miss the playoffs? Nah, that's why they kept Tanev and Hanifin and added a big piece, I suppose.

Of course they were missing the playoffs, when was the last time they were even in a wild card? Oct/Nov maybe for a day? There's no way Markstrom was ever worth a 1st + Mercer. Not in February and clearly not now.

"Basically", lol. $80 is basically $100. Let's call my tab paid! Markstrom is basically going to be a Vezina finalist too.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 05:42 PM   #1437
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
The Flames need more Pospisils
The Flames need some Mackinnons and Makars, that’s the priority. If moving Pospisil gives you a shot at finding someone like that? No problem moving him.

Last edited by ComixZone; 04-06-2024 at 05:46 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2024, 05:46 PM   #1438
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would rather have Pospisil and the Vancouver 1st than Holtz. If they are actually looking at that just do the Schneider trade and trade Markstrom for the 2024 1st straight up.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 06:37 PM   #1439
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Because he plays hard, is good, hits, and costs one million dollars a year. This team is soft as #### so they need him.
Old 04-06-2024, 06:37 PM   #1440
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
I would rather have Pospisil and the Vancouver 1st than Holtz. If they are actually looking at that just do the Schneider trade and trade Markstrom for the 2024 1st straight up.
Schneider was 6 years younger than Marky is now.

Marky isn’t worth that pick straight up in my eyes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Because he plays hard, is good, hits, and costs one million dollars a year. This team is soft as #### so they need him.
Sucking is sucking. Whether the team is hard or soft - they suck all the same. If Pospisil is a difference maker in a trade that could possibly turn into a foundational impact player? You move ‘em.

Last edited by ComixZone; 04-06-2024 at 06:39 PM.

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good