Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2009, 10:24 PM   #21
Jedi Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Could the wasps be feasting on something that's infested the trees? (Aphids?)

Why Googling this, I came across this rather gruesome but cool Youtube snipitt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLtUk-W5Gpk

Last edited by Jedi Ninja; 08-31-2009 at 10:26 PM.
Jedi Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:22 PM   #22
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgaryborn View Post
Pruning dead wood helps keep trees healthy. Beyond that pruning is all about shaping the tree. You can inspire new growth or slow the growth of your tree depending on how and when you prune. You can also control the direction of new growth to fill in holes or prune to avoid the tree growing into an areas you want open. If your tree has the room to grow and you like its look then leave it alone. The truth is any time you prune a tree you are cutting it. Also, trees unlike humans don't heal when wounded. They just try to compartmentalize the wound and grow around it.
It is quite impossible to control the size of a tree by pruning, long term. Sure, you might be able to keep it somewhat contained, but it will suffer as time goes on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Some trees should be pruned for their own good. As in certain apple and fruit trees. Many have quite a horizontal growth pattern. Add on a full load of fruit and the branches start to bend and be prone to breaking. And with the spring snow storms we get, those type of trees are more prone to breaking with the extra weight of the snow.

I have one crab/apple cross with this type of growth pattern, and I prune it quite regularily, in the fall when dormant. On the other hand, I also have a Dolgo crabapple with more of an upward growth and I don't need to prune it quite as severely.

Of course, if I dont pick the fruit in time, Mr. Bear comes along and prunes the fruit trees for me. He has proven to be a terrible horticulturalist.
Yes, if you want good yields, fruit trees must be pruned.
Shazam is offline   Reply With Quote