Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #301
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I don't think that the Heat have a problem with the veteran rule ... you can use six vets with 260+ games and one more with 320+ games. The only players on the Heat who fall in that category are Laing, Walter, Kolanos, Wilson, Desbiens and Jessiman, so I think they can all play at the same time. Piskula will fall in that category next year, but ahead of this season, he had "just" 258 games. Other vets like PL³ and Henry also don't have 260 games yet.

I have no doubt he'll get invited. At least give him an AHL deal with the possibility of an NHL deal later, couldn't hurt given the way he has played for Abby.

Good news on Howse getting the goal and the SO winner. @ Pierre, how is he playing in general at the moment?
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to watch him play for the last couple of weeks, but when I did I was surprised at how physical he can play. When we drafted him, I figured him to be a one-dimensional offensive sniper, but that isn't the case. He backchecks well, not the best on the team, but he's sufficient at it. He also loves to hit and play extremely physical. Frankly, I'm glad he can do more things than just score because it means he's not simply a body floating around out there when he's in a scoring slump. He can contribute in more ways than one.

I may be going to the game tomorrow, so I'll let everyone know then how he looks after getting rid of those goose eggs on his stat line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennoknight View Post
Mr. McGuire - re: the Lanny thing - have the Heat made an official announcement for this game yet? I want to make sure I book the next day off work if it's really happening on the Thursday, and not the Friday night. Do you have a link? I can't seem to find anything on the team's site.
I don't believe the Heat have made it official in the sense that they've released a article or link to the event. I just heard Ryan Pinder say he will be there on Thursday, March 29th vs. the Chicago Wolves on his pre-game show the other day. I can probably confirm it by tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure they were purposefully planning it for the Thursday game to fill the seats because EVERYONE will be going to the Friday game ($2 beer, $1 hot dogs, and well... it's a Friday with the Canucks affiliate in town).
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #302
mennoknight
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
I don't believe the Heat have made it official in the sense that they've released a article or link to the event. I just heard Ryan Pinder say he will be there on Thursday, March 29th vs. the Chicago Wolves on his pre-game show the other day. I can probably confirm it by tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure they were purposefully planning it for the Thursday game to fill the seats because EVERYONE will be going to the Friday game ($2 beer, $1 hot dogs, and well... it's a Friday with the Canucks affiliate in town).
That's what I figured - I generally try to avoid going to Canucks' affiliate games, but I also try to focus my life around getting $1 hot dogs. So torn. Thanks for the update!
Old 03-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #303
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mennoknight View Post
That's what I figured - I generally try to avoid going to Canucks' affiliate games, but I also try to focus my life around getting $1 hot dogs. So torn. Thanks for the update!
Hahaha same here. There's something about sitting in an arena where half the fans are cheering when the other team scores a goal. It drives me into insanity.

In this case, I think meeting Lanny "Frickin" McDonald trumps cheap beer and soggy hot dogs.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #304
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting article on Greg Nemisz. Dan Kinvig basically talks about how the main difference between the 10/11 Nemisz and the 11/12 Nemisz is his overall fitness.

Link: http://www.abbynews.com/sports/heat/news/140731423.html

Quote:
During his junior days, Nemisz was part of one of the greatest teams in Canadian junior hockey history – his Windsor Spitfires won back-to-back Memorial Cups in 2009 and 2010. But those long playoff runs and subsequent short off-seasons limited his summer workout time.

After the Heat missed the post-season last spring, Nemisz threw himself into his workout regimen, and the sweat investment has translated to the ice.
Quote:
Ward said he was encouraged when training camp rolled around, and Nemisz showed up having shed "a little bit of baby fat."

"It wasn't until this last summer that he really changed physically, which has allowed him to have a better start here," Ward analyzed.

"(Former Heat head coach) Jim (Playfair) played him a lot here last year, which he deserved, but his body couldn't handle those minutes. This year, he's been able to handle those minutes because of his physical conditioning. That's allowed him to be a better player."
Great news to hear this. I've personally noticed a huge difference in Nemisz. I noticed him last season because he was ALWAYS on the ice. Playfair used him in every situation and he looked alright. This year, he looks great in all the roles he is given. For such a big guy, he's shifty and great with the puck. He can move so well in such small spaces, such as along the boards and in tight along the net.

I think Nemisz's future looks bright. Especially if he improves even more on his skating because he certainly has the skill set.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2012, 01:54 AM   #305
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember Brett Hull in Calgary. His idea of off season training was playing slow pitch. Probably why he got traded.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #306
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I remember Brett Hull in Calgary. His idea of off season training was playing slow pitch. Probably why he got traded.
Probably. I think a comparison to Brett Hull in the article is a bit of a stretch, but I see where he's coming from.

In terms of physical condition, Nemisz is at least working to rid himself of some extra weight and constantly working on getting more speed. That's more than we can say for Hull.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:19 PM   #307
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heat win 2-1 tonight over Texas.

Kolanos & Walter with a goal each.

Sylvester, Wilson and Howse each with an assist.

Taylor stopped 22/23 for the win.

Interesting tidbit, after going pointless in his first 20 AHL games, Howse now has 2g and 2a for 4 points in his last 7 games.

Heat are now alone in 4th place in the Western Conference.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 06:02 PM   #308
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got back from the game. The Heat lost 4-1 this afternoon. It was a bit of a frustrating one to watch. The Heat had absolutely no heart, no passion, and no enthusiasm - just as Troy Ward expressed in his post-game interview.

That's not to say the whole team didn't have heart because there were a few, but in general they didn't play near hard enough.

The Good:

- Again, Nemisz was the best player on the ice, with Bancks being a close second. Those two were the biggest standouts this afternoon. They're the best forwards on the PK each night. Bancks brings so much energy to every shift. Nemisz had an excellent chance in the first period ringing one off the post on a short-handed chance where Bancks hustled hard to create a 2 on 1 rush. Nemisz has certainly improved his skating. I think the thing that stands out most for me is his skating style hasn't changed, but he's making the most of each stride... if that makes sense. I guess what I'm trying to say is that he's more efficient in his skating.
- Howse played very well again today. I'm just so surprised at his defensive abilities. He saved a sure goal today with a backcheck where he lifted a Stars player's stick just in time. He also hits everything that moves. Unfortunately he was on a line with Leblond and Desbiens, but he fit in well and got a couple of chances.
- Patterson had his typical high-energy, hard-hitting game. I can never say I'm not impressed with his game. He brings what he's supposed to bring and he does it fairly well every game. Today he was impressive.
- Irving played well considering he had to make that tough transition from the NHL-style to the AHL-style. I think one goal he could've had. It just snuck under his glove, but overall, his defense left him out to dry a number of times.
- Leblond was doing his job to the best of his abilities, but no one wanted to fight him. Lots of talking from the Stars, but no backing it up.
- Wilson played very well today as well. He had the only goal of the game and he did everything he could to create some offence. He was starting and joining in rushes. The whole team just couldn't beat the Stars' D.

The Bad:

- Really, there's only two bad things today: a) as I mentioned before, there was no heart, no passion, and no enthusiasm. If they added some of those things, I think it would've been a different game; and b) the vets didn't come to play. Desbiens, Walter, Kolanos, and Jessiman just didn't come to play today. They were sort of just floating around, going through the motions.
- Sundays have not been good to the Heat. They are now 0-4-1 on Sunday afternoon games.

Let's hope they get it going Tuesday morning in which the puck drops at 10:30 AM PST. The last time the Heat had a 10:30 AM game it was in San Antonio and they won 5-0. Hopefully they do that well again.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #309
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Who gets called up now if Bouma and Comeau are out?

Last edited by Johnny Rotten; 03-04-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:28 PM   #310
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was at the game today as well. Jessiman reminded me of Bourque with his dumb offensive zone penalty to neutralize a Heat PP.

Remember Michael Jordan when he would involuntarily stick his tongue out while driving to the net? Carter Bancks has some of that going on - dude's got a open mouthed grimace all the time. But hey, so long as he plays as well as he does he can do what he wants.

Worst part of the game for me was being driven from my front-row seat by 9 small children who insisted on banging the glass, ringing their little cowbells and generally being a noisy nuisance!
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:32 AM   #311
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought this was interesting. The Flames' new tough guy vs. the Flames' old tough guy. PL3 held his own. I'd call it a tie.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #312
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Rotten View Post
Who gets called up now if Bouma and Comeau are out?
Considering they can't ice a full roster, this counts as an emergency recall.

In that case, I would say...Byron and Nemisz. Maybe Desbiens again.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 01:54 AM   #313
rednex50
Draft Pick

Did I not say that you would love Howse once he got his feet under him in the New Year?

If I could only predict the lottery now....
rednex50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rednex50 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 01:46 PM   #314
flames_fan13
First Line Centre

Exp:

From the Heat's twitter account Jordan Henry has been loaned to Chicago and J.P Testwuide comes to Abbotsford from the Wolves.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:26 PM   #315
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

[QUOTE=rednex50;3583552]Did I not say that you would love Howse once he got his feet under him in the New Year?

Yes you did. Now can you predict that he'll stay in shape this summer and make a push for the big club at training camp?
Johnny Rotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #316
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan13 View Post
From the Heat's twitter account Jordan Henry has been loaned to Chicago and J.P Testwuide comes to Abbotsford from the Wolves.
So happy with this move.

I'm not a fan of Henry one bit, so if Testwuide can make smart outlet passes and not take stupid, unnecessary penalties then I'm all game.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:06 PM   #317
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
So happy with this move.

I'm not a fan of Henry one bit, so if Testwuide can make smart outlet passes and not take stupid, unnecessary penalties then I'm all game.
Testwuide's played for Ward and Luke Strand before when he was with Houston.

The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2012, 11:36 PM   #318
rednex50
Draft Pick

[QUOTE=Johnny Rotten;3584243]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednex50 View Post
Did I not say that you would love Howse once he got his feet under him in the New Year?

Yes you did. Now can you predict that he'll stay in shape this summer and make a push for the big club at training camp?
I predict that as long as Howse does not have a serious injury, he will come back in great shape. I don't think he'll spend much time in PG, but instead mostly Calgary and Chilliwack areas to keep up on his life transformation, and keep up on his on-ice and off-ice workout regimes. Calgary needs him to step up. Everyone was talking about the lack of depth in Calgary's system during the road to the NHL Trade Deadline. One of his best bud's is a WHL O/A Previously Drafted Free Agent, and in years past the 2 worked out together as each tried to push the other. I can see them doing that yet again. Another of his buds is currently on the Flames team...and those 2 will push each other.

Howse is probably the 3rd most talented players to play for the Bruins (Moller and Sundher), but Moller was too small to play a gritty style and Sundher can be a bit of a loose cannon from time to time. Howse may not be blessed with the wheels of Sundher or Moller, but he has great vision (probably better than those 2), can fight, great hands...but ultimately will do whatever it takes to win. I think you all saw that when he accepted Ward's punishment, worked his ass off, ate his humble pie and came back with his lunch box in his hand. If Josh Aspenlind is considered the "ultimate Chilliwack Bruin", arguably Ryan has to be #2 because of the intangibles he plays with (backchecking, hits, faceoffs, willing to play any roll, willing to stand up for his mates and willing to carry a team on his back). Kinda reminds me of a younger Iginla if you ask me
rednex50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rednex50 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #319
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's the Heat's clear day list...

Leland Irving (G)
Danny Taylor (G)
Akim Aliu
Carter Bancks
Chris Breen
Paul Byron <Injured>
Bryan Cameron
Brian Connelly
Guillaume Desbiens <Calgary>
Adam Estoclet
Roman Horak <Calgary>
Ryan Howse
Krys Kolanos <Calgary>
Quintin Laing
Pierre-Luc Letourneau-Leblond
Greg Nemisz <Calgary>
Joe Piskula
Jon Rheault <Injured>
Dustin Sylvester
J.P Testwuide
Ben Walter
Clay Wilson

Notables Not On the List:
Brett Carson
Raitis Ivanans
Hugh Jessiman
James Martin
Mitch Wahl

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #320
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a good morning for goaltenders right now at the Heat game. 3-3 in the first 15 minutes of the game

EDIT - Irving still in, Joe Fallon of the Aeros is out, Matt Keetley in for the Aeros. Wow.

Last edited by Pierre "Monster" McGuire; 03-06-2012 at 12:10 PM.

Tags
heat