Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #61
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
Can't you say the same thing about alcohol consumption. How many people does drunk driving kill compared to guns? I don't know the answer as I am just musing out loud but I am sure its a lot.... Hell and we have liquor control. The argument could be that by having no alcohol we could save hundreds if not thousands of lives. I bet a ton of people here are drinking heroin beer at Flames games and still driving home.

We are on the same side of this fight. I think you can look back at all my posts in the gun threads, I have never said I am against gun control. I have said repeatedly if they say I can't own an Ar-15 I will have no argument with that.

I just think most people here are wanting that plus what seems like an outlaw on hand guns which 1. wont happen and 2. I think is silly. Do I have handguns? Yes . Are my handguns locked away where it makes its hard for others to get to? Yes. Would I feel safer if I had one at my house for personal protection? Yes. Will my Canadian wife allow me to have one at my house?..... NO

I feel like we arguing in circles. There is not one person around who can say anything or point out 1 statistic that will make me say ok F it , get rid of them all but also there isn't one thing I can say even it was the most logical thing in the world to make you guys say F it , let people have their guns.

We should just lock up the thread and be done with it.
So you see this as an all or nothing issue? You think all those arguing against you want an all out gun ban? Frankly, I haven't noticed that sentiment on this forum for the most part, I would say opinions here are similiar to the measures proposed by the President. His proposals hardly constitute a wholesale gun ban.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #62
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Who is? I haven't seen that anywhere.
I'm under the impression that hand guns are all but banned in Calgary for civilians. Am I wrong in thinking that?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:02 AM   #63
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm under the impression that hand guns are all but banned in Calgary for civilians. Am I wrong in thinking that?
I have no idea, but even if they are I'm not sure how that would turn anything anyone has said here into a call for an all out ban.

Btw, since we're on the topic, explain to me why a civilian should be allowed to own a handgun?
Old 01-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #64
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
there is no ban for anyone to own a handgun here. there's a strict background check and waiting period (as well as a firearms license i think) and rules on how your gun must be transported and stored. i know a couple of people who own their own guns and use them regularly at local firing ranges
Old 01-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #65
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
there is no ban for anyone to own a handgun here. there's a strict background check and waiting period (as well as a firearms license i think) and rules on how your gun must be transported and stored. i know a couple of people who own their own guns and use them regularly at local firing ranges
There are also magazine capacity limits, barrel length restrictions and automatic fire restrictions.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #66
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
The only argument for no gun control is to say these lives lost are just the price that must be paid to allow unfettered access to guns which is some inalienable right
Good post. I think this is an honest pro-gun argument. The problem is that people don`t like to admit that their position has a downside.

Quote:
Can't you say the same thing about alcohol consumption. How many people does drunk driving kill compared to guns? I don't know the answer as I am just musing out loud but I am sure its a lot.... Hell and we have liquor control. The argument could be that by having no alcohol we could save hundreds if not thousands of lives.
Good reply. I think this is an interesting comparison.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:11 AM   #67
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Btw, since we're on the topic, explain to me why a civilian should be allowed to own a handgun?
In case an American makes it across the border with his arsenal then goes nuts and needs to be put down.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #68
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
There are also magazine capacity limits, barrel length restrictions and automatic fire restrictions.
Well I am for that.. There are background checks here. The only test I had to take was a hunters safety course, although there is a conceal and carry course if you want to carry the handgun on your persons ( which I dont).

I am not opposed to mag caps as I have never used anything beyond the stock 8-10 rounds anyway on handguns.

I stand corrected. Looks like we have been for the same things all along. I guess I'm with y'all.. AMERICANS SUCK!!

Valo I have already expressed my opinion on that many times. You're baiting me into giving my opinion so you and others can just tell me I am wrong or that NRA/GOP has found another "sucker". I don't need to go through that again.

Last edited by nickerjones; 01-22-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #69
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Can't you say the same thing about alcohol consumption. How many people does drunk driving kill compared to guns? I don't know the answer as I am just musing out loud but I am sure its a lot.... Hell and we have liquor control. The argument could be that by having no alcohol we could save hundreds if not thousands of lives. I bet a ton of people here are drinking heroin beer at Flames games and still driving home.
Look at how well prohibition worked in the US. Or how the war on drugs is going. You can't stop something with a huge demand that is easily manufactured and smuggled. All you do is create more criminals.

But you can see how well gun control laws work in Canada compared to the US. Guns are not easily manufactured. They are more difficult to smuggle. And a gun consumer is not an on-going repeat customer like someone who drinks alcohol will be. Or maybe there is a nut who buys a new gun every week but I suspect that they're few and far between.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #70
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Not banned. They are classified as restricted firearms which means you have to jump through hoops to get one.

But AFAIK, you can have as many as you want. But you can't leave the house with one unless you're going to the range. I'm pretty sure a range is the only place you can legally fire one. No gopher target practice on the farm.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #71
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I think nickerjones and his gun attitude would fit in fine in small town/rural Alberta. Not quite as good in Calgary or Edmonton. Not at all in Toronto or Vancouver.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #72
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not possible to CCW either.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #73
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Valo I have already expressed my opinion on that many times. You're baiting me into giving my opinion so you and others can just tell me I am wrong or that NRA/GOP has found another "sucker". I don't need to go through that again.
That's garbage. You've built yourself quite the victim complex.

All your post says to me is 'I don't have a rational reason, I just want to have a gun so I should be able to have one'. Oddly enough, that's probably the only answer that can't be countered by heaps upon heaps of research.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #74
Plett25
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

All your post says to me is 'I don't have a rational reason, I just want to have a gun so I should be able to have one'. Oddly enough, that's probably the only answer that can't be countered by heaps upon heaps of research.
I think you're wrong. IMO nickerjones has been deemed by CP to be the local NRA spokesman.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #75
valo403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plett25 View Post
I think you're wrong. IMO nickerjones has been deemed by CP to be the local NRA spokesman.
That's great, then he shouldn't have any issues with stating his position on aspects of gun ownership.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #76
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

No, my post says I have posted before giving my opinions I would feel safer if I had one or even that I liked shooting them, opinions that arent't good enough reasons for people here. Hell, I have been told things like I am just another NRA /GOP sucker. Before Christmas I literally had 2 HATE messages from what I have to think is trolling posters ,since their join dates were recent, one of which said You should shoot yourself to see how much getting shot hurts ( or something to that effect), and I have also been told that I was raised/brought up wrong. That's not stuff that isn't right and I dont really have a want or a need to hear it again....If PIM got any messages or responses like I got I dont blame him for wanting to take a leave from CP.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #77
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's kind of like the answers you hear people give when asked why people should be allowed to have AR15's.

they're fun to shoot - Alex Jones.
they're easier to shoot - Dana Loesch.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #78
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
That's kind of like the answers you hear people give when asked why people should be allowed to have AR15's.

1. They are fun
2. Im not sure how they are easier.

I dont see what's wrong with those statements.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #79
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Not possible to CCW either.
It is if you can prove that your life is in danger on a daily basis because of your occupation.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #80
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:

I didn't realize there needs to be anymore justification.

If there are proper controls in place like magazine size restrictions, mandatory safety courses, background checks.....etc, etc....why does one need a reason to own a AR-15 other than 'they are fun to shoot?'

Do you even own a firearm?
Closed Thread