Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #61
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
The Rossis were actually one I was looking at! Thanks for this input.
Definitely give the volkls a try. I demoed both and preferred the kendos. I hated the rossies. Everyone is different but the volkl line of skis is top notch IMO
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #62
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuryisgod View Post
If anyone wants some free tickets to this stop by Sports Rent. We have aprox 20 or so to give away. Also as a reminder if you want you skis tuned our $20 complete tune special is down to its final week.
Just took 'em up on this and dropped off two pair. Good deal. And pretty quick turnaround, too - they said 5 days.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 19Yzerman19 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2013, 08:42 PM   #63
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since I was at Costco today I thought I'd make a note of what they had for passes, as the question comes up frequently. Sorry for the poor image quality. Spoiler for number of images.

Spoiler!

Breakdown:

Fernie/Kicking Horse
2 Adult Lift Tickets
$129.99
  • 20% off youth tickets
  • 20% off lessons
  • 20% off tubing at KHMR
  • 10% off rentals
  • 10% off retail at Sports Alpine
  • 10% off accomodations booked through RCR Central Reservations

Whitefish
2 Adult Lift Tickets
$99.99
  • 20% off on-mountain lodging
  • 20% off lessons & equipment rentals
  • $5 off Junior day tickets

Nakiska
2 Adult Lift Tickets
$99.99
Forgot to take a picture of the extras. Sorry.

Revelstoke
2 Adult Lift Tickets
$106.99
  • Free tubing
  • 30% off youth/child tickets
  • 20% off rentals
  • 15% off Snow School Inside Tracks
  • 15% off tune-ups
  • up to 15% off Sutton Place Hotel
  • up to 15% off Sandman Hotel

Panorama
2 Adult Lift Tickets
$99.99
  • 1 additional lift ticket voucher (missed the fine print on this)
  • 2 half-price Snow School vouchers
  • 25% off youth/junior full-day tickets
  • 10% off rentals
  • 10% off upper village condo rentals

Lake Louise
2 Adult Lift Tickets
$119.99
  • 20% kids ski & snowboard school
  • 10% off breakfast
  • 40% off tube park
  • 20% off child/youth tickets
  • 10% off mid-performance rentals
  • 50% off adult ski & board school
  • 10% of Lake Louise merch
  • 40% off Fairmont Lake Louise
  • 30% off rooms, 15% off food at Lake Louise Inn
  • 10% off Great Divide Lodge

Sunshine
3 Adult Lift Tickets
$194.99
  • $5 off child or youth lift tickets
  • 15% off regular rates at Sunshine Mountain Lodge
  • 15% off lessons & rentals
  • 10% off Sunshine Villiage Retail Shops

Don't forget there's ski cards for pretty much every hill within a 5 hour radius. If I get extremely bored later in the week I'll post those too.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 10-23-2013 at 08:50 PM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #64
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's awesome. Thanks!!
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 10:10 AM   #65
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Final tally for new ski equipment this year...

Spoiler!

And just for fun, a recent shot of Diangulator (Revelstoke) that was posted on NS.

Last edited by 19Yzerman19; 10-24-2013 at 10:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 19Yzerman19 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2013, 01:23 PM   #66
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nakiska opening this weekend (Nov 2). Looks like Saturday brought them a bit of snow.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #67
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone going to Nakiska this weekend? I want to get a warm-up day or 2 in, but I don't want to ruin my new skis if it conditions aren't that good. I might head up on the weekend of the 9th if everyone says it's alright.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 10:54 AM   #68
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Anyone going to Nakiska this weekend? I want to get a warm-up day or 2 in, but I don't want to ruin my new skis if it conditions aren't that good. I might head up on the weekend of the 9th if everyone says it's alright.
I'm thinking about breaking in my boots there on Sunday. However my general rule of thumb with new skis is don't take them out until after Christmas (ask me how I know...). If I go up there this week I'll be taking my old skis for sure.

On an unrelated note, is there anywhere that does freestyle lessons? I've found camps for the teenage crowd, but that's about it. Trying to nail some basic spins and having very little luck.

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 10-31-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:23 AM   #69
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Mt. Norquay opens Friday:

http://banffnorquay.com/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 12:05 PM   #70
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Apparently it does, which is somewhat concerning considering it's 8 degrees today in banff and the mountain looks like this.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #71
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Decided to spoil myself today as a little reward for being debt free again and picked up a pair of Zeal Optics Z3 GPS goggles.

These goggles have an in-view screen that lets you see your speed, location (comes loaded with all the trail maps apparently. I don't know if that means Canada, or more), altitude, vertical descent distance, jump statistics, temperature and whole bunch of other stats all live and they keep track of all your records and everything like that.

They also synch with your phone and ipod so no fumbling around on the chair to read texts or pick a song. Another cool feature is it will show you the location of any friends with goggles that have recon technology (unfortunately I don't have any friends that do... yet).

It also keeps track of all your stats and runs so you can upload them to your computer at the end of the day and go over them or share them if you wish.

There's probably even more neat features that I don't know about. Haven't played with them yet cause they're charging.

I got 10% off from the ski show in Spruce Meadows so I paid $360 + gst.

Spoiler for size...
Spoiler!

Only draw backs I have found so far is that they are pretty big so they kind of look a little weird just over a hat (I'm getting a helmet this year so that won't matter) and the stupid strap for the remote doesn't make sense to me. I figured out a way to do it up but I definitely don't think I'm doing it right. It's either needlessly complicated or I'm just really stupid and not seeing how it's supposed to go.

Last edited by polak; 11-03-2013 at 07:35 PM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:10 PM   #72
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
the stupid strap for the remote doesn't make sense to me. I figured out a way to do it up but I definitely don't think I'm doing it right. It's either needlessly complicated or I'm just really stupid and not seeing how it's supposed to go.
I bought the Smith version last year. They're unreal.

That strap took me an hour to figure out and had to resort to youtube. So stupid. If it's done right, you'll know it. I'm willing to bet you have it the same way I did...
Old 11-03-2013, 11:11 PM   #73
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Turns out the guy who sold me the goggles had no clue what he was talking about. These goggles come with recons MOD software. However, MOD Live, a separate product, is the one that allows you to sync to your phone. That was a big part of why I wanted the goggles. This explains the price difference but it also kinda bums me out.

I'm going to have to think about if I want to keep these or not. Kunkstyle, do you find that the stats are worth it? The only difference between Mod and Mod Live that I've discovered so far is the phone thing (which means no picking songs or buddy finding).

I don't know why it's making me regret buying them, as it's not really the main feature of these goggles but I guess that was what pushed me over into justifying their cost.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:19 PM   #74
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Turns out the guy who sold me the goggles had no clue what he was talking about. These goggles come with recons MOD software. However, MOD Live, a separate product, is the one that allows you to sync to your phone. That was a big part of why I wanted the goggles. This explains the price difference but it also kinda bums me out.

I'm going to have to think about if I want to keep these or not. Kunkstyle, do you find that the stats are worth it? The only difference between Mod and Mod Live that I've discovered so far is the phone thing (which means no picking songs or buddy finding).

I don't know why it's making me regret buying them, as it's not really the main feature of these goggles but I guess that was what pushed me over into justifying their cost.
Are you nuts? Those goggles sound f'in amazing!!! KEEP THEM!!!!!!!
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #75
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Kunkstyle, do you find that the stats are worth it?
PM'ed with some info.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:27 PM   #76
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
PM'ed with some info.
Can you post your thoughts in the thread? I'm interested about your experience with these types of goggles.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #77
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My brief experience with them is that what Polak is missing - phone syncing ability - is the sole useful thing about them. The readouts are basically a gimmick. There is no situation where you really need to know your jump height or speed. The temperature is sort of useful but it's not that hard to estimate or check the hut at the top of the lift.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:11 PM   #78
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Can you post your thoughts in the thread? I'm interested about your experience with these types of goggles.
Sure.

For reference, I have the Smith Recon I/O (with the MOD Live) from when it debuted last season. There's been some off-season firmware/app updates, but I have yet to test them out since the updates.

Pros:
  • They're a sweet piece of technology. Having run stats/speed in the HUD is awesome, albeit completely frivolous...
  • The HUD is completely unobtrusive. You kind of have to look down to see it clearly, so it doesn't take up your vision when you're skiing (I almost don't notice it at times). Although when you're actually looking at it it seems pretty big.
  • If you track your runs on GPS or your phone already, these are a nice alternative. You can save your phone battery life, and you're not constantly taking your phone out.
  • The bluetooth integration is awesome. It comes with a little wrist strap remote so you can control your phone through the music app in the goggles. This alone is almost worth the price tag...
  • If you're into video, the LIVE system can connect to a Contour2+ so you can control the camera through the goggles as well. And if you really want to go all out, it can connect to a Polar heart rate monitor.

Cons:
  • HUD battery doesn't last a full day. I usually shut off the display itself for probably 75% of my runs (but leave the GPS on). I also carry a battery pack to recharge them at lunch.
  • Software is a bit buggy. I haven't been able to get the text integration to work to see texts on my HUD. I haven't played with it much though (it's usually an afterthought when I'm already on the lift). Bluetooth has disconnected on me a few times. Not the end of the world, but a pain. I'm hoping the off-season updates have taken some of the bugs out.
  • 2nd gen (Smith/Oakley) removed the temperature readout. Not a huge deal, but it was a nice to have IMO.

Other things to note:
  • The HUD flashes green and says "New High Speed Achieved" any time you break your previous "high score". It's hilarious. I spent a whole day one last year just making the stupid thing flash green. After that I took them heli-skiing and didn't shut them off in the heli, so I'm likely going to kill myself trying to beat my current high score of 237 kp/h.
  • The trail maps are kind of useless. It's such a small area, and you can't scroll or anything. So it shows how close to a lift you are etc, but no trail names or anything. You still need to use the phone app to really make that part useful. I haven't really played with that part a whole bunch though.

As for Polak's situation, I suggested he return them. IMO they're not worth the price tag without the MOD Live. (non-live kills all the phone/bluetooth connectivity. So you'd lose the ability to change music, get texts etc in the HUD as well.) It's not much different than using a run tracker on your phone. Neat for sure, but I don't know if it's worth it. For a bit more $ he can get the new ones with full bluetooth integration.

That being said, I have 0 regrets buying the 2nd gen with the Mod Live.

If you're interested - I ordered mine from sunglassgarage.com. They've got a 15% off code (FALL15) which would save you about $100 from buying them locally.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #79
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did anyone hit up the hills last weekend? How were conditions and would it be worth it to go this upcoming weekend?
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:49 PM   #80
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Oh, and now that my Dropbox is working again, here's a shot of the computer/web interface if you're interested.

The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post: