Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #1
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon48 TheSportster - Top 15 NHL Breakout Players in 2017-18

Bennett at #11 and Tkachuk at #2 (although I'd argue he's already a game changer).

Top 15 NHL Players who are ready to become game hangers in 2017-18
Quote:
The Flames are a team that are contenders and that could elevate Bennett’s game immensely. Although he has yet to find his scoring touch in the league, he definitely is heading in the right direction. His sophomore slump last season will motivate him to reach the levels he is supposed to be at.
Quote:
Tkachuk already almost reached 50 points in his rookie season, so this year should be a big year for the kid. Tkachuk has proven that he is a top-6 forward and now will have the chance to play with superstar talent for a whole season. The Flames will be an even better team this year when Tkachuk ends up being another superstar winger for them.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #2
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett could be a real sleeper pick for hockey pools this season! Would really love to see him have a breakout year.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:46 AM   #3
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Call me crazy but I think Drouin will take a step back. In Tampa he really benefited from playing on a PP with guys like Hedman, Johnson, Kucherov, Point, Stamkos, Palat. He's got ridiculous hands but he will need to produce more at even strength with a supporting cast that can't think the game like him in Montreal.

Also homer vote for Mark Jankowski!

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:49 AM   #4
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Hischier and Patrick do not seem like the best bets to break out. Interesting that they pick Keller from ARI and not Domi, Dvorak, etc.

They are right on Tkachuk though, future superstar who I think will take a big step forward next season. Bennett is another good bet. Jankowski is a good dark horse too.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I see Tkachuk developing into a Corey Perry like star in the league.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 12:02 PM   #6
PugnaciousIntern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Especially if he finds himself away from Backlund and Frolik, I'm almost expecting Tkachuk to see a dip in production this year. Would probably be my choice for a player on our team to take a step back (production wise) instead of a choice for a breakout season.

Many posters called Bennett to have a breakout last year during training camp, before...the start of the season. I'm excited to see him this training camp, and compare the explosiveness compared with his performance last fall
PugnaciousIntern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:05 PM   #7
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loving that there is some content to discuss in the past 24hrs
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:17 PM   #8
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
I see Tkachuk developing into a Corey Perry like star in the league.
Lol.. did you come up with that all on your own?... Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Corey Perry has has been the most talked about closest comparable in terms of trajectory in development.. or hopeful anyway..

Bennett needs to figure it out this year.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IgiTang For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 12:17 PM   #9
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
Especially if he finds himself away from Backlund and Frolik, I'm almost expecting Tkachuk to see a dip in production this year. Would probably be my choice for a player on our team to take a step back (production wise) instead of a choice for a breakout season.

Many posters called Bennett to have a breakout last year during training camp, before...the start of the season. I'm excited to see him this training camp, and compare the explosiveness compared with his performance last fall
I don't think you can break up 3M unless you have to. Unlike their previous LWers, Tkachuk can actually drive possession for Backlund and Frolik. You see it too all the time, particularly watching live - he makes all these little unspectacular plays that result in the puck moving up ice.

From Hayne's "Need to Have Backlund" article:
Quote:
Only three players last year registered a SAT% Close of > 52% while also having a zone start percentage of < 36%.

LW Matthew Tkachuk CGY, 53.62 SAT% Close, 35.02 ZS%
C Mikael Backlund CGY, 53.24 SAT% Close, 35.50 ZS%

C Ryan Kesler ANA, 53.17 SAT% Close, 33.69 ZS%
Pity that we don't have super WOWY anymore to look more in depth as how much of an effect he had on Backs/Frolik. But looks like he got buried slightly more than Backs did and had slightly better results. That's incredible for a rookie.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:18 PM   #10
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If there is one improvement I could pick from all of are players, it would be Tkachuk skating. If he can become an above average skater not even elite. He will be one of the hardest forwards to stop in the NHL. He would also become are best player imo. The kid oozes skill, and the best part is he is confident enough to use it. That paired with his intangibles and defensive play is amazing.

Sorry for horrible grammar.

Last edited by Monahan For Mayor; 08-22-2017 at 12:20 PM.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 12:25 PM   #11
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
If there is one improvement I could pick from all of are players, it would be Tkachuk skating. If he can become an above average skater not even elite. He will be one of the hardest forwards to stop in the NHL. He would also become are best player imo. The kid oozes skill, and the best part is he is confident enough to use it. That paired with his intangibles and defensive play is amazing.

It looks like he's been working with Dawn Braid. She is one of the best in the business - clients of hers include John Tavares, Mike Cammalleri, Jason Spezza. She was a part-time consultant for Calgary but has garnered enough recognition as a skating coach to be hired full-time on Arizona.

NHLPA - Tkachuk: "One of those events that shows you the Big Picture"
Quote:
“What excites me the most is that it’s another year and another opportunity,” said Tkachuk, who is working with skating coach Dawn Braid over the summer. “Last year was my first training camp and I was new to everything. This time, you know what you have to do, how you have to prepare. This year, you have to try and do something special. I’m looking forward to the new year and the new challenges that come with it.”
Old 08-22-2017, 12:34 PM   #12
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post

Didn't Tkachuk train with Gary Roberts this summer? He should come into training camp with better strength and better speed overall.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:21 PM   #13
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor list overall but Charlie McAvoy is an excellent sleeper pick for any pools.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #14
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draisaitl's skating improved a lot in his 2nd year so it's possible with hard work that Tkachuk could improve that element to his game as that's probably the only area of his game where's he's below average.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:40 PM   #15
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Draisaitl's skating improved a lot in his 2nd year so it's possible with hard work that Tkachuk could improve that element to his game as that's probably the only area of his game where's he's below average.

Skating is a skill that young players are now seemingly better able to improve after the draft. Bo Horvat also was able to dramatically improve his skating. Unlike ten years ago this is something that will no longer make or break a young player's career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:55 PM   #16
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Skating is a skill that young players are now seemingly better able to improve after the draft. Bo Horvat also was able to dramatically improve his skating. Unlike ten years ago this is something that will no longer make or break a young player's career.
It might still make or break a career, but I believe you are right, skating seems to have changed from a God given talent that you either have or don't have, to a skill that can be improved. The will and determination to change and improve might be the God given talent at the core.

I suspect Tkachuk will continue to improve his year, although a drop in production is always a possibility for a sophomore pro.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:00 PM   #17
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It might still make or break a career, but I believe you are right, skating seems to have changed from a God given talent that you either have or don't have, to a skill that can be improved. The will and determination to change and improve might be the God given talent at the core.

I suspect Tkachuk will continue to improve his year, although a drop in production is always a possibility for a sophomore pro.
I tend to think that much of the change has primarily to do with the availability of resources and massive improvements in training techniques and technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:08 PM   #18
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Sportster might be the worst publication out there when it comes to hockey. Read some of their other articles and you will see why.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 03:29 PM   #19
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just did a bit of stats digging for Matthew's WOWY on 3M.

This data is a smaller sample size from Jan 2017. But even this is a very, very strong indicator that Matthew is doing a lot to push that line over the top - as much as the other two, if not more!

WOWY Spreadsheet - Matthew Tkachuk

Backlund:
Without Tkachuk: CF% - 44.74
With Tkachuk: CF% - 58.0
Tkachuk w/o Backs: CF% - 54.6

Frolik:
Without Tkachuk: CF% - 49.70
With Tkachuk: CF% - 58.2
Tkachuk w/o Frolik: CF% - 54.0

Last edited by Gaskal; 08-22-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Gaskal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gaskal For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2017, 12:39 AM   #20
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugnaciousIntern View Post
I think the opposite. I think Tkachuk helped drive the play as much as those two did. And if he's away from them that means he's probably playing with players who have even more offensive skill in Gaudreau, Monahan, Bennett. I'd expect his numbers to go up if he plays with guys who have even more offensive skill than Backlund and Frolik. I think Tkachuk and Bennett could break out together and form a very dangerous 3rd scoring line if that line is tried. And even if he stays on the Frolik/Backs line I'd expect we'll see improvements in his skating and strength and that with improved confidence he'll start to just dominate.

But yeah personally I'd use Tkachuk as an offensive catalyst to get Bennett going. I think they could be a great 1-2 punch on their own line. Then for trios you have
1 - Gaudreau-Monahan
2 - Backlund-Frolik
3 - Tkachuk-Bennett

Make sure Gaudreau gets a powerforward opposite him in Ferland and then almost anybody can slot in with Backlund/Frolik or Tkachuk/Bennett. Versteeg, Brouwer, Jankowski, Foo all could make the case.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Frolik-Backlund-Brouwer
Tkachuk-Bennett-Versteeg

OR if Jankowski outshines Bennett at centre then

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Jankowski-Versteeg/Brouwer
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik

I think Tkachuk shines in any scenario really. Excellent puck handling, shooting, puck protection, physical play, hockey sense, etc. If the coach uses Backlund's line as a shutdown line then I think our offence is going to be deepest when Gaudreau-Monahan and Tkachuk-Bennett/Janko are the two scoring lines we deploy whenever Backs is off. Of course you could always load up on one big line by sticking Tkachuk with Monahan-Gaudreau but I think I now like the idea of creating three elite lines instead of two.

I think those that are afraid to break up the 3M line are underrating the offensive upside a Tkachuk-Bennett or Tkachuk-Jankowski duo could have. Having three elite lines makes the Flames harder to check and deeper in scoring depth. My argument is that Backs-Frolik is our most elite checking duo and that we should have our 4 most offensively skilled players on two separate other lines away from Backs-Frolik. That way we can have an elite checking line that would be a 2nd line on most teams while also having two other lines that would be considered top two lines. The Flames will be true contenders if:
-Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland plays like a 1st line
-Tkachuk-Bennett-Versteeg/Brouwer plays like a 1st or 2nd line
-whoever-Backlund-Frolik plays like an elite two-way 2nd line that can shut down the other team's best players while still producing
-we get goaltending
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post: