Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #1
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default THN: World Junior Showcase Standouts

http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/ar...unior-showcase

Quote:
Sweden, Finland, Canada, and the United States faced off in a world junior tuneup event in Michigan, and these 35 players were most impressive.

The World Junior Summer Showcase in Plymouth, Mich., came to an end recently and I was there for the last two double-header games. Sweden, Finland and Canada joined the hosts from Team USA for a really nice showing of hockey in August, pitting most of the best under-20 talents in the world against each other. The following is my list of the 35 players who stood out the most to me in those games.
So here’s the caveat: Canada and Team USA had more players there, so their lineups were quite different in two games. Hence, there were some players I only saw once or not at all. And I’m not including top names just for the sake of. It doesn’t mean I think Pierre-Luc Dubois is a bust, or that I think Kieffer Bellows will miss the final cut – I just thought other players moved the needle more. Plus, several prominent Finns just weren’t there: Olli Juolevi, Miro Heiskanen, Eeli Tolvanen and Kristian Vesalainen all missed for various reasons.
A final note: player positions are based on the lineups of the games – I know several of these “wingers” may usually be centers, but this will give you a sense of their roles in Michigan. Let’s get to it.
A few notable names on the list, some Flames content and perhaps a surprise or two.

Last edited by Since1984; 08-22-2017 at 11:04 AM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:08 AM   #2
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

some comments pertinent to Flames prospects plus Tkachuk.

Quote:
Juuso Valimaki, D (CGY): So much for a summer break: Valimaki played a ton here and had a very positive impact. He takes the extra second to make the right play with the puck and his rushing ability was noticeable.
Quote:
Adam Fox, D (CGY): I’m confident in saying that Fox will be the most important blueliner on the team in Buffalo. His smarts, his patience and his offensive play are sights to behold.
Quote:
Brady Tkachuk, LW (2018): Tkachuk took a ton of punishment in the Canada game – at one point he lost a glove but still stood in front of the net taking whacks until finally the Americans scored. But that’s his game and it was easy to see why he got as much of a role as he did.
Quote:
Dillon Dube, LW (CGY): Very fast and very disruptive on the forecheck. It will be interesting to see how big a role he gets after playing on the team last year.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Like the sound of Dube - to me he looks like a guy who if he keeps on his trajectory, could be a forward who can play up and down the lineup. Very valuable guy to have in the system.
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:40 AM   #4
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

35 "standouts" in a four team tournament? They should have just published the rosters and moved on.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post: