Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Finished the Kessel Run in less than 12 hotdogs?
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Phil obviously has a great sense of humour and perhaps doesn't not take himself to seriously.

Maybe he posed for another shot where he is arguing with the hot dog vendor
Old 08-14-2017, 10:16 PM   #4
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Phil obviously has a great sense of humour and perhaps doesn't not take himself to seriously.

Maybe he posed for another shot where he is arguing with the hot dog vendor
Especially if the vendor was Steve Simmons!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:57 AM   #5
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benched View Post
Way to embrace the meme Phil!

Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 08:40 AM   #6
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/steve-si...m-post~1187641

Of course Steve Simmons doesn't own up, and blames the public for picking on a little 3 sentences (his words). . He's now claiming that Kessel is so small to waste his cup day to use it on that.

Did Steve ever apologize for his piece? He just doesn't get why the stupid public went off on those '3 little sentences'. Did he forget how much pressure was put on Kessel, how many bad interviews and questions he received when the Leafs were in a tailspin, even claiming Kessel to be a coach killer and asking him about it during an interview? He was run out of town, and Kessel won 2 cups despite his being a coach killer and a problem in the locker room, and his lack of commitment.

Steve Simmons knew what he wanted from that article. He wanted to embarass Kessel and paint him as a daily hot dog eating guy not committed to fitness. His whole article is about how Kessel was a waste of a roster spot and a lazy player. He just never expected Kessel to be where he is now. Now he's calling Kessel petty.

Yet he's cherry picking on the fact that he got the address wrong, and had he said downtown, no one would pick on Steve right now. No Steve, people are not picking on you for getting an address wrong. People are picking on you for a garbage piece that attacked Kessel off the ice. Did he forget that he basically called Kessel a poison in that very same article? Did he forget there were over 1000 comments on his article criticizing Simmons for making such a poor piece?

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/07/01...ired-of-kessel

Quote:
The hot dog vendor who parks daily at Front and John Sts. just lost his most reliable customer.

Almost every afternoon at 2:30 p.m., often wearing a toque, Phil Kessel would wander from his neighbourhood condominium to consume his daily snack."
Quote:
When you have an illness, you must get rid of the poison.
What does this have to do with hockey?

Those 3 little sentences are everything that is wrong about the mainstream media and garbage reporting. Good for Kessel.

Last edited by Firebot; 08-15-2017 at 08:44 AM.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Firebot For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 10:55 AM   #7
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

That article is pure garbage.... no wonder Phil was happy to leave Toronto.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #8
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kessel actually looks in better shape than in the past in that photo.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 12:16 PM   #9
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it's become pretty clear it was Toronto that infected Kessel and not the other way around. Being traded from that poisonous environment was the best thing that could've happened to him and his career.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:15 PM   #10
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Kessel actually looks in better shape than in the past in that photo.
I think he always looks like that?

Has a fat face.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:18 PM   #11
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I think he always looks like that?

Has a fat face.
He suffers from "resting fat face".
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 10:33 PM   #12
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
I think it's become pretty clear it was Toronto that infected Kessel and not the other way around. Being traded from that poisonous environment was the best thing that could've happened to him and his career.
Is that you Steve Simmons? Way to be just like good old Steve.

Toronto did not infect Kessel. He still loves Toronto and has a condo here he lives in in the summer. Last year he brought the cup to the Toronto Sick Kids hospital so I think Toronto and Phil are just fine.

Kessel is an amazing player and seems like an awesome guy. He was just in a crappy situation which was mostly Brian Burke's fault. The Leafs had no need for a player like him at the time of the trade and Kessel is not the type of player you build around. He is a supporting cast type player.

The best thing for Phil Kessel was being traded to a team that already had 2 superstars so he could fly under the radar.

I do find it funny though that all I ever heard when he played for the Leafs (and Boston as well) was that you can't win a cup with a guy like Kessel on your team. Clearly it wasn't Kessel but the teams he played for were built poorly. He has always been a dominant player in the playoffs no matter who he played for.

Anyways...Simmons is a moron and I don't know why he still has a job.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:54 PM   #13
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Is that you Steve Simmons? Way to be just like good old Steve. ....clipped

Not a moron - just a malignant pot-stirring jerk. Toronto's loss was Calgary's gain.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 12:45 AM   #14
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Is that you Steve Simmons? Way to be just like good old Steve.

Toronto did not infect Kessel. He still loves Toronto and has a condo here he lives in in the summer. Last year he brought the cup to the Toronto Sick Kids hospital so I think Toronto and Phil are just fine.

Kessel is an amazing player and seems like an awesome guy. He was just in a crappy situation which was mostly Brian Burke's fault. The Leafs had no need for a player like him at the time of the trade and Kessel is not the type of player you build around. He is a supporting cast type player.

The best thing for Phil Kessel was being traded to a team that already had 2 superstars so he could fly under the radar.

I do find it funny though that all I ever heard when he played for the Leafs (and Boston as well) was that you can't win a cup with a guy like Kessel on your team. Clearly it wasn't Kessel but the teams he played for were built poorly. He has always been a dominant player in the playoffs no matter who he played for.

Wow, really hit a nerve eh?
Now I'm no Brian Burke fan, but I'd say things got exponentially worse for Kessel after Burke left, and Kessel was indeed infected by the cancer that was/is the Toronto media, fans and unrealistic expectations. First Toronto fans and media lifted Kessel onto a pedestal and burdened him with digging a horrible franchise out of the depths of a 50 year hole, only to turn on him and run him out of town when he couldn't do it. That is the Toronto infection.