Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-07-2017, 09:13 AM   #241
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

What characters are you interested in?

In your situation, I would try to pick series that don't get too involved in the mega-crossover events. It's easier to stay focused. At least it is for me.

Here are some of my favourites available on Unlimited:

1. Daredevil (1998 - 2011) - This got me back into comics after some time off. It gets better and better as the series progresses.
2. Marvels (1994) - 5 issue mini-series. A historical look at the Marvel universe through the eyes of a reporter. Everything from the Captain America in the war to the early 90s. Incredible art and story.
3. Astonishing X-Men 1-24 (2004-2013) - Joss Whedon wrote these. Some excellent X-Men stories and art.
4. Runaways (2003 - 2004) - A group of kids find out their parents are super villains. A little lighter than the other recommendations but fun.
5. Hawkeye (2012 - 2015) - I never really like the character but this series changed that. Really fun look at one of the only "human" Avengers.
6. Civil War (2006) - I'd just read the core mini-series. The art is great and it's always fun to see that many heroes in one series.
7. Infinity Gauntlet (1991) - Same reason as Civil War. Lots of heroes. Lots of fun. Gives you a bit of background on Thanos before the new Avengers movies.
8. Doctor Strange (2015) - I never really read his comics as a kid but really enjoy this one now.
9. Immortal Iron Fist (2006 - 2009) - Similar to Hawkeye in that I never really cared about the character. This changed that. Really well written.
10. Punisher (2001) - Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon do a fun and violent series. It's not for everyone but a good change of pace from the usual Marvel stuff.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #242
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Tough question. I'm not sure what is and isn't available on unlimited but let's assume Marvel has uploaded pretty much everything in their cannon. I'll assume you're at least familiar with some of the basics from watching movies and cartoons.

Do you want to start with classics, like the first appearance of Spider-Man, Fantastic Four etc? I personally find them tough to read because they are so incredibly dated.

Here's a few choice cuts. I'm gonna reference the storylines and/or collected editions so depending on how Unlimited is formatted you may need to seek out the individual issues.

Death of Gwen Stacy. This is from the 70s and is a bit corny but is one of the all time classics.

Spider-Man Blue. This was published about 15 years ago but is a great flashback story that relates to the above story. It is probably my favourite Marvel book ever published.

Punisher Max by Garth Ennis and various artists. This is 18+ stuff with lots of gore. The first six issues are probably my second favourite Marvel story ever. Link to wiki page. Start from #1. Make sure it is the correct Max series, there have been a few.

Wolverine. The original limited series by Chris Claremont and Frank Miller.

Daredevil Yellow. Similar to Spider-Man Blue, this is a modern publication that takes place during DDs origin years. Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale are one of the great writer artist duos. Read anything they do. It's all amazing.

Daredevil Born Again. DD vs Kingpin in their most famous encounter. In fact, maybe read everything DD that was done by Frank Miller. It is all amazing.

Weapon X. By Barry Windsor Smith. It is Marvel Comics Presents 72-84. An origin of sorts for Wolverine.

Deadpool. Look for the series from the late 90s starting with issue 1. Joe Kelly wrote it. Damn it's funny. Give a few issues a try. Series went for a number of years iirc.

Punisher: Welcome Back Frank. 12 issues from Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon. Violent, funny, irreverent. These are the guys who created Preacher.

Hulk Grey (gray?). More Loeb and Sale origin stuff. As always amazing.

The Ultimates. Similarities to first Avengers movie. For the love of god, only read the first one. It's like a modern reselling of the Avengers origin. Sort of. It's out of regular continuity I believe.

Astonishing Xmen. The one by Joss Whedon from about 2004. The guy who directed Avengers movie. And you get to read it all at once! Back when it was published it took Whedon and Cassaday like 5 years to publish 20 issues (that's a glacial pace).

There are a number of others that are good, and you can read them without knowing all the backstory, callbacks and references, but may be better if you're at least familiar with the source material.

They would be Marvels (read it just for the awe inspiring painting art by Alex Ross), Earth X, Avengers Forever, Old Man Logan, Captain America Winter Soldier, Wolverine Blood Debt (Steve Skroce, Wolverine vol 2 150-153 I think).

I tend to like certain writers and gravitate to their work. Good art for me is a bonus. Great art with awful story can't be saved, but great writing with ok art doesn't bother me.

So I'd look for stuff by Greg Rucka (Wolverine), Brian Michael Bendis (Daredevil). There's more that I like. I'll update later.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 07-07-2017 at 09:28 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 09:18 AM   #243
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Good list Ktrain. Yeah for DD you could start all the way back when Kevin Smith wrote it from #1 and then move to the stuff by Bendis and Maleev.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:22 AM   #244
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Log out of Marvel Unlimited, go to store, buy DC comics.
DC needs to get off their butts and do their version of Unlimited. I have no idea where to start reading with their stuff. I've stuck exclusively with their mini-series because I can jump in, read 6 issues and get out without having to figure out what reboot I'm in.
  1. Kingdom Come
  2. Superman: Red Son
  3. Dark Knight Returns
  4. Superman American Alien
  5. Any Loeb/Sale Batman series
  6. The New Frontier
  7. All-Star Superman
  8. Watchmen
  9. Batman: Year One
All required reading.

Last edited by KTrain; 07-07-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #245
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Good list Ktrain. Yeah for DD you could start all the way back when Kevin Smith wrote it from #1 and then move to the stuff by Bendis and Maleev.
Thanks. I agree. DD is 100+ issues of great reading.

I like your Spiderman Blue, Daredevil Yellow, Hulk Gray and Captain America White suggestions. More Loeb/Sale greatness.

I tried to pick series that were easily accessible. Get in, read the stories and move on without getting too caught up in crossovers and events.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:30 AM   #246
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Like Ktrain I tried to list stuff you can just pick up and won't be confused by 50 years of continuity. And lots of them are self contained, which is nice so you can read it and get a conclusion to the story without worrying about it being part of a massive story arc.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:38 AM   #247
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Oh J Michael Staczinski's run on Spider-Man and his reboot of Thor were both good too.

I also liked Thor Blood Brothers and Thor Trials of Loki. Both were limited series.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:52 AM   #248
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Awesome thanks, Looks like a great start. I know I didn't give any general idea of what I liked it's because I don't really know. These suggestions should give me an idea.
Raekwon is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 06:29 PM   #249
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you like Spider-Man you should check out Superior Spider-Man and The Superior Foes of Spider-Man. I also really enjoyed Thor: God of Thunder. It has exceptional art and a fun story.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:18 AM   #250
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I wasn't a fan of the digital versions as all I had was an iphone or PC to read it on so I bought a really cheap tablet that ended up not being able to run it and then I discovered the smart frame feature and now I have no issues using my phone to read. The more you know.
Raekwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:14 AM   #251
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guided view works especially well on newer comics, it's hit and miss on older comics converted to use its functionality. Glad it's working for you. Try using Unlimited in your tablet's browser instead of the MU app, that might work on it.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:39 PM   #252
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Christopher Priest's New Inhumans Comic Is Everything Marvel's Inhumans Show Needs To Be

http://io9.gizmodo.com/christopher-p...-ma-1797716912

Priest Returns to Marvel to Tell the Definitive Origin of the Inhumans

http://www.cbr.com/interview-christo...-future-kings/

Finally, your last work for Marvel was in the early 2000s. What’s it like coming back to the company? Is there a possibility of more Marvel work from you after “Once and Future Kings?”

I hope so. Marvel has always been home. And it’s not like I’ve been in exile; I’ve had many conversations with the company over the years, but could never find quite the right project at the right time. Landing “OAFK” was really too easy. It was a project I wanted to do and something Marvel wanted me to do. I was a little shell-shocked at how easy the handshake was.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #253
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

What is everyone reading these days?

Some of the recent trades I've picked up that are fantastic

1. Paper Girls: A little bit Stranger Things/Back to the Future but with girls instead. Art is great and story is fun.
2. Seven to Eternity: Think Game of Thrones with a bit of a sci-fi twist. Great art again.
3. Wytches: Creepy/horror comic. Not something I usually read but it's great.
4. Black Monday Murders: Picked this up at Comic Expo from Tomm Coker. I love his art and wanted to support him. It's a bit of a mind bender but it works up to be really great.
5. Aliens Defiance: After watching Covenant I wanted more Alien stuff. This series is really good. Would have made a great movie.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 06:51 PM   #254
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I read pretty much read just DC comics but I'm so far behind right now. Can say I love how solid Action Comics has been they just finished a great arc involving General Zod.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:24 PM   #255
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's some new/recent stuff I've been reading or am excited for, let me think:

- Astonishing X-Men had a very solid debut. Charles Soule is the writer, a different artist each month. This isn't an ongoing, but it might go as long as 12 issues. Characters so far include Psylocke, Rogue, Gambit, Bishop, Fantomex, Old Man Logan, and Archangel

- Curse Words - a wizard from another dimension is sent here by his maleficent overlord to destroy Earth - but he kind of likes it here, so sets up shop. Over the top magic shenanigans

- Hi-Fi Fight Club - this debuts next week. Here's the solicitation copy, which just sounds cool to me: "New Jersey, 1998. Chris has just started the teen dream job: working at Vinyl Mayhem, the local record store. She’s prepared to deal with anything—misogynistic metalheads, grunge wannabes, even a crush on her wicked cute co-worker, Maggie. But when Rory Gory, the staff’s favorite singer, mysteriously vanishes the night before her band’s show in town, Chris finds out her co-workers are doing more than just sorting vinyl…her local indie record store is also a front for a teen girl vigilante fight club!"

- The Old Guard finished its first story arc and won't have new issues until next year. I'm a huge fan of Greg Rucka, the writer of this title. The series is about a group of immortal warriors who have found each other over the millennia and centuries, and currently operate as mercenaries. Keeping the secret of your immortality is hard in the 21st century.

- I've enjoyed the first few Generations one-shots from Marvel that are leading into it's Legacy event/launch/whatever this fall. Not sure that I ever needed a story about the 1,000,000 BC Avengers, but here it comes.

- Invincible is concluding it's near 15 year run with a glorious over the top stakes have never been higher final arc. Issue 139 comes out Wednesday, the series concludes with 144 in January or so. This is the other long running work of Robert Kirkman. He also has a comic book with zombies or something.
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 07:25 PM   #256
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

And I'm heading to Portland in September for the third year in a row for Rose City Comic Con.

Creators I'm hoping to meet and chat with and maybe get some stuff signed from include: Chip Zdarsky, Elsa Charretier, Erica Henderson, Greg Rucka, Michael Golden, Michael Lark, Sam Humphries, and Steve Lieber. Erik Larsen and Rob Liefeld will be there too for some Image thing I guess.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 08-15-2017 at 07:37 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 07:33 PM   #257
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I read Invincible via trades. I'm looking forward to seeing how they finish it off. It'll be tough to avoid spoilers until it's finally released in trade.

Hi-Fi Fight Club and Curse Words sound good.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:54 PM   #258
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
And I'm heading to Portland in September for the third year in a row for Rose City Comic Con.

Creators I'm hoping to meet and chat with and maybe get some stuff signed from include: Chip Zdarsky, Elsa Charretier, Erica Henderson, Greg Rucka, Michael Golden, Michael Lark, Sam Humphries, and Steve Lieber. Erik Larsen and Rob Liefeld will be there too for some Image thing I guess.
Dustin Nguyen will be there too. You should check out his Descender book. It's fantastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 08:02 PM   #259
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The art for Hi-Fi Fight Club looks really cool. It's a clean cartoony look like Giant Days, but a little more stylized. Here are some covers (spoiler tags for large images):

Spoiler!

In looking up the covers I stumbled across the fact it is a 4 issue limited series, which I had forgotten. A small commitment.

Did I mention that the main character in Curse Words is named Wizord? And he has a (for now) koala sidekick named Margaret? And that his beard is magnificent?

Spoiler!

The creative team is Charles Soule, Ryan Browne, with a lot of colorists helping out Ryan and Chris Crank on lettering. The writer and artist just finished a van tour in the US where they decked out a van in Curse Words graphics.

Spoiler!

And here is a great variant cover, a photo of the two of them dressed as wizards fighting each other.

Spoiler!

I'll try and be mindful of not discussing Invincible plot developments while you trade wait.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 08-15-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:04 PM   #260
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Dustin Nguyen will be there too. You should check out his Descender book. It's fantastic.
I read the first issue, but honestly I'm very lukewarm when it comes to Jeff Lemire. I know he has a large, devoted following among comic fans but he just doesn't do it for me. At least his Marvel work that I've read. I tried reading Underwater Welder and just couldn't get into it.