Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #21
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know much abotu Qatar but how could a country like that have 8 world class stadiums and Canada doesn't?
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:11 PM   #22
seattleflamer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
I don't know much abotu Qatar but how could a country like that has 8 world class stadiums and Canada doesn't?
Oil money with no accountability to the people who own those resources, maybe?

Canada has the resources to create world class stadia. Do taxpayers want to foot the bill? I doubt it; though, we have a history of massive taxpayer paid facilities with the Big "O", the Skydome and even cost overruns with BC Place...twice.
seattleflamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #23
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
If anything they could potentially do a Canada/U.S. bid.

Vancouver, Seattle, L.A. + as Western venues.

Toronto, New York, Chicago, Boston as Eastern venues.

You pretty much need 8 world class soccer stadiums to host a World Cup, not sure how Canada makes that work.
Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Regina, Winnipeg, Toronto, Hamilton, Ottawa and Montreal. Not all have to be World Class. They could add stands to Molson Stadium to get 40000. Or BMO Field to get 40000. They could add to Moncton Stadium to get 25000 although that would be a stretch.

Brazil is playing in a Jungle. South Africa and Germany played in stadiums as small as 40,000.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:20 PM   #24
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Qatar is dismantling half their stadiums after the event and moving them to countries in need.

Perhaps we're one of those countries they're considering.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #25
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
By that time, Vancouver (BC Place) / Edmonton (Commonwealth) / Calgary (new stadium) / Winnipeg (Investors Group Field) / Toronto (Rogers Centre) / Montreal (Olympic Stadium) and possibly Ottawa and Hamilton as backups could all seat 40,000+.

With CSA's new Strategic Plan, along with the explosive growth of soccer in this country along with new MLS teams and potentially two more eventually (Edmonton and Calgary), along with the awesome mix of races and ethnicities in this country, Canada could be an intriguing location to look at for FIFA for that year.
I could see the talk of Halifax getting a new stadium perk up again for this.

Soccer is very popular in the HRM, when you add the ability to use it for St. Mary's football games and a potential CFL team and a permanent venue for outdoor concerts.

If this is done right they we could put together a great nation-wide event.

Could we get the same numbers as the US? No. But, then why not have it in the US every four years? Or England, or Spain?

This could be a good shot in the arm for the CFL as well

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:23 PM   #26
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Qatar is dismantling half their stadiums after the event and moving them to countries in need.

Perhaps we're one of those countries they're considering.
That'd be nice, but considering our PM and country supports Israel and Qatar doesn't even recognize Israel's existence, I don't like our odds.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #27
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just can't see how this is feasible. How does a nation with no dedicated and sanctioned soccer league at any level bid for a World Cup?

If a successful World Cup bid leaves a legacy of a stable Canadian first and second division, then I'm for it. Otherwise, this will come down to the issue of stadiums and what to do with them when the World Cup is gone. Would taxpayers be willing to fund massive white elephants? Could the bid potentially work with CFL teams as legacy tenants?

I guess we wait and see.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 04:36 PM   #28
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
With CSA's new Strategic Plan, along with the explosive growth of soccer in this country along with new MLS teams and potentially two more eventually (Edmonton and Calgary), along with the awesome mix of races and ethnicities in this country, Canada could be an intriguing location to look at for FIFA for that year.
I agree with most of your comments, and love the optimism, but I have to correct your point regarding Calgary and Edmonton getting MLS teams. It's not happening before 2020, and I'm not sure they are on the radar beyond that timeframe.

Don Garber (MLS Commissioner) has said there are no new Canadian MLS teams coming when asked in interviews this past year.

Right now FC Edmonton is still very shaky financially and there are still questions about the club's sustainability at the NASL level. Their owner has said in numerous interviews that they need attendance to be sustainable, recently quoting 7-9k as a figure, while their stadium seats 4000. There is no support in Edmonton at the city level for building a new stadium right now and the club will be lucky to get turf that doesn't have football lines on it (which phase 1 of a new mid-size stadium plan for the City of Edmonton).

Attendance has improved with the addition of new stands and hopefully the club sees 3000-4000 on a constant level this year, but that is a long way off from MLS.

Calgary made a peep about having soccer early in 2013 but I haven't heard anything about that being more than a pipe dream.

Last edited by shermanator; 01-23-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:44 PM   #29
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

it also doesn't really fit with FIFA

countries as bad as Canada at football dont generally get the World Cup

Qatar is an exception because of bribery, even RSA and Japan/South Korea were done more so for 'historic' reasons to grow the global game and be the first events in Africa and Asia
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #30
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
it also doesn't really fit with FIFA

countries as bad as Canada at football dont generally get the World Cup

Qatar is an exception because of bribery, even RSA and Japan/South Korea were done more so for 'historic' reasons to grow the global game and be the first events in Africa and Asia
Canada is a bit of an oddity in the soccer world.

G8 Countries:

Canada
France
England
United States
Russia
Germany
Italy
Japan

G20 Countries

Argentina
Australia
Brazil
Canada
China
European Union
France
Germany
India
Indonesia
Italy
Japan
Mexico
Russia
Saudi Arabia
South Africa
South Korea
Turkey
United Kingdom
United States

Of the G8 we're the odd country out.
Of the G20 most of the countries are usually in the World Cup.

If they gave it to South Africa, why can't we?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #31
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah, lets work on ensuring our national team isn't a complete embarrassment before we think about hosting the World Cup.

An actual Canadian league that people care about would help - obviously as a second tier to MLS. And like it or not Calgary and Edmonton are nowhere near MLS's line of sight. MLS isn't going to dilute its own marketability in the US with small-time Canadian markets nobody gives a damn about south of the 49th.

Last edited by Resolute 14; 01-23-2014 at 05:55 PM.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:03 PM   #32
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
An actual Canadian league that people care about would help - obviously as a second tier to MLS. And like it or not Calgary and Edmonton are nowhere near MLS's line of sight. MLS isn't going to dilute its own marketability in the US with small-time Canadian markets nobody gives a damn about south of the 49th.
If we're going to look at a "second division" type of national league, I think that starting with two regional leagues under the same umbrella is the way to go. The problem with a national league is that the travel kills it.

I think something like a 12 team league with 6 in Western Canada and 6 in Eastern Canada could work. Teams would have a balanced schedule playing only those in their division, with the winner of each division meeting to decide the championship.

Getting people to give a damn is another story.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #33
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

An ideal, yet unlikely, ideal situation is to co-host with the US, as that ban, instituted after 2002, has been lifted.

Could Canada pull off the logistics and stadia? Sure...temporary natural grass at each stadium. The cost of security will be high and that would fall on the governments.

The CSA cynic in me (this was basically announced July 2012), is nothing more than a political move, giving the CSA, and more importantly, the current CSA Executive, something to focus on off the field.

Hoping that the interest in the bid creates up until the (unannouced bid time), will create an "own the podium" type program to get corporate Canada to throw money at the CSA in the meantime, 12 years removed from the actual event.

Yes, they have to do something to kickstart development, but these 4 year all encompassing national development plans have come and gone over the past 2+ decades, and they're barely worth the paper they are printed on, with the same pie in the sky ideas that never get off the ground. Bottom line, they have to get a proper national program, free of the red tape and political games from various associations in coordination with the CSA, in camp and roster and coaching/technical director selection at all ages and categories.

Can putting the cart before the horse and getting a World Cup spur that on? Sure...and no harm in putting the chicken before the egg, but I have serious doubts that this gains much traction over the next couple years. FIFA is a tough egg to crack, speaking of politics and corruption, so there would have to be a properly concerted effort of money and backroom negotiation to "win" those votes over.

Again, this all leads to letting the Americans take the lead in the bid, and let Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal host a couple opening round games...is that enough to let Canada in automatically as a host, I don't know.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 06:46 PM   #34
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Yeah, lets work on ensuring our national team isn't a complete embarrassment before we think about hosting the World Cup.

I don't know if any of that really matters. In fact it might help that we suck and there's no interest as FIFA like to 'develop nations"

Japan had not qualified for a World Cup when they were given the tournament in 2002 and their J-League was hardly anything. It's a baseball country.

It;s kind of funny that since the US and Japan hosted the World Cup, they have never failed to qualify for one whereas South Africa failed to qualify this time around.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #35
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

For Stadiums you need 8, grass can be temporary, so you have new stadiums in the following cities

BC Place 45
Regina 45
Hamilton 45
Ottawa 45
Winnipeg 45

Then you have skydome in Toronto, and Commonwealth which woud need money tossed at them to bring them up to snuff.

So the only Stadium that needs building is an NFL sized stadium in Toronto and perhaps a Calgary stadium to get Regina out of the picture.

Personally I would rather have the olympics though if we are blowing money on sporting events.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #36
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm guessing that the Flames Sports group are going to want to replace McMahon and leverage a new stadium into a run for an MLS team at some point. We might have something by then.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #37
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by shermanator; 01-23-2014 at 09:19 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #38
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

FIFA would love to make an impact to grow the game of soccer in Canada. This is there way to do it.

I think there's a fairly probable chance that Canada would be awarded the games if it's a good bid.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #39
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Heres a good article on Sportsnet about the 2026 bid and some of the new mandates from this strategic plan. If they can achieve these goals I think the national team will improve greatly

http://www.sportsnet.ca/soccer/cdn-s...d-for-2026-wc/
Um, you know that's the exact URL I posted in the original post, right?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #40
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

god i hope not
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote