Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-16-2017, 05:41 PM   #101
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wouldn't a cheekier name be wetsaddle, dampsaddle or moistsaddle or something like that.
I'm no expert on equestrian subjects but a drysaddle is a good thing no?
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2017, 06:11 PM   #102
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
This is no different than the Gaudreau situation we had last year. The Bruins are going to sign him, it is just a question of when. Chia is not the GM anymore.
Chia didn't trade Thornton and Hamilton.

It's a Boston thing.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:36 PM   #103
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post

It's a Boston thing.
He traded Seguin to Dallas. The shoe fits.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 07:53 PM   #104
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Given the Draisaitl deal, I guess an $8.5MM x 8 yr deal for Pasternak is not out if the question now.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:03 PM   #105
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Given the Draisaitl deal, I guess an $8.5MM x 8 yr deal for Pasternak is not out if the question now.
I don't think Pastrnak will get $8.5, but $7.5 for 8 years would be reasonable based on what Draisaitl received. The Oilers screwed over other NHL teams when they started signing RFAs to $6 million/yr, now they are screwing them over again.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:26 PM   #106
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Could be an interesting dilemma for the Bruins. Based on the Draisaitl contract he probably deserves a cap hit larger than Krejci ($7.25 AAV), Bergeron ($6.875 AAV), and Marchand ($6.125 AAV).

But can they give him more than those 3 or does ownership take a stand and say we can't pay you more than that?
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 03:15 PM   #107
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I can't see him getting a higher AAV than those guys. Obviously depends on the number of UFA years, but similar to the Gio cap, Pastrnak will need to slot in just behind the leaders of the team, IMO. Perhaps $6mm for a shorter term.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 03:42 PM   #108
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
I can't see him getting a higher AAV than those guys. Obviously depends on the number of UFA years, but similar to the Gio cap, Pastrnak will need to slot in just behind the leaders of the team, IMO. Perhaps $6mm for a shorter term.
Agree term is a question - but if I'm the Bruins you want to lock a guy like Pastrnak up for six, seven or eight years. And if I'm Pastrnak I think I'm worth at least $7MM AAV for six years - afterall the Bruins are paying Backes $6MM AAV and I would argue Pastrnak is far more valuable than Backes.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #109
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post
Agree term is a question - but if I'm the Bruins you want to lock a guy like Pastrnak up for six, seven or eight years. And if I'm Pastrnak I think I'm worth at least $7MM AAV for six years - afterall the Bruins are paying Backes $6MM AAV and I would argue Pastrnak is far more valuable than Backes.
Okay, but using the same argument, is he more valuable than Bergeron and Marchant?

(spoiler: no, he isn't)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:27 PM   #110
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
The Oilers screwed over other NHL teams when they started signing RFAs to $6 million/yr, now they are screwing them over again.

This can't be overstated. I hope Chia is blackballed by his fellow GMs
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:36 PM   #111
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

It's a Boston thing.
It's a jeremy jacobs thing.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 04:44 PM   #112
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's a Boston thing.
Chia created the mess that forced the Hamilton trade. It was highly rumored that the Oilers were going to prepare an offer sheet that would have made it tough for the Bruins to match.

Chia got lucky he ended up fleecing Burke on the Kessel trade getting the picks that turned into Seguin and Hamilton. The Seguin trade was a disaster for the Bruins as they sent out a top centre for literally zero assets 4 years later.

This isn't just a Chia thing but it would be 4 prominent young budding superstars traded at 22 or younger if Pasternak is moved.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
bax
Old 08-21-2017, 05:05 PM   #113
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Okay, but using the same argument, is he more valuable than Bergeron and Marchant?

But then again Bergeron signed his contract in 2013 - it would be a different deal if he were signing it in 2017.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:15 PM   #114
Krynn
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This just in the Wizard treliving acquires David pastrnak from the Boston Bruins for a used pitching machine and a bucket of balls and 3 baseball bats. When the Bruins GM talks to the media they asked why he made the trade He said he said Pasternak wasn't well-liked in the locker room and said we always need more bats and balls.the Flames threw in the pitching machine then ended the press conference and walked off leaving the media speechless

Last edited by Krynn; 08-21-2017 at 05:23 PM.
Krynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 06:03 PM   #115
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krynn View Post
This just in the Wizard treliving acquires David pastrnak from the Boston Bruins for a used pitching machine and a bucket of balls and 3 baseball bats. When the Bruins GM talks to the media they asked why he made the trade He said he said Pasternak wasn't well-liked in the locker room and said we always need more bats and balls.the Flames threw in the pitching machine then ended the press conference and walked off leaving the media speechless
It's toke, toke, pass.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2017, 06:18 PM   #116
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Could be an interesting dilemma for the Bruins. Based on the Draisaitl contract he probably deserves a cap hit larger than Krejci ($7.25 AAV), Bergeron ($6.875 AAV), and Marchand ($6.125 AAV).

But can they give him more than those 3 or does ownership take a stand and say we can't pay you more than that?
Bergeron has one of the best contracts in the league though so that's not really fair.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:43 PM   #117
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

GM's should tell agents not to bother using the greasers as a comparable. You want 8M+ per year after your ELC? no problem, just wait until you're UFA and go join the oilers.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:25 AM   #118
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

Well what is the value of Bergeron and Marchand? Bergeron is making 8.75M, and has been since the start of his contract. Marchand is making 8M.

Their contracts go until they are 37. They drop off as they age that somewhat corresponds to what the Bruins expect their value to be as they get older. It's extremely disingenuous to say that they value the prime years of Bergeron at 6.875 when his contract averages 7.7M until he is 35. While Pastnarak is an RFA (which comes with a discount) at least every year of his contract will be in his prime.

Of course the Bruins likely would, and other teams have, argue that it's the cap-hit of those guys that show their values. But any agent would take all of 10 seconds to realize that's not the case. Not when you're talking about contracts that go beyond their primes.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 08-22-2017 at 08:35 AM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 09:47 AM   #119
Murph
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
It's toke, toke, pass.
Almost...

Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Murph For This Useful Post: