Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #21
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Haha, what? Acoustics aren't the ability to get noise out loudly, it's the dispersal and quality of the sound, which the Saddledome performs very poorly at compared to the typical hockey arena.
truth. people who think the dome's sound is acceptable haven't been to an arena with good acoustics. every time I go to a dome concert the sound can be best described as a wall of muddled garbage. conversely (and sadly) the sound at Rogers Place is clear as a bell. the gap is similar to a CD vs AM radio.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:15 PM   #22
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, honestly I think the arena is fine for hockey...I thought all my favorite bands were terrible live though until I heard them elsewhere
Old 08-15-2017, 02:18 PM   #23
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forgot the Capital Center - Landover MD
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 02:52 PM   #24
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

What's really outrageous is that checking out our super awesome public art didn't make the cut.
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:00 PM   #25
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Have you been to Wrigley Field? Over the the last year they have made massive renovations and you get to see the Cubs play. Strange thing to say but I would fathom a guess that you are not a baseball fan.
I've been to 14 current or former MLB stadiums actually, including Wrigley. The Wrigleyville neighbourhood is a lot of fun and has great personality. But Wrigley Field itself is still a 110 year old facility that, aside from the uniqueness of the brick and ivy walls, derives most of its charm from the fact that it lacks most modern amenities.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:39 PM   #26
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wrigley has Old Style AND Old Style Light.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:53 PM   #27
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I've been to 14 current or former MLB stadiums actually, including Wrigley. The Wrigleyville neighbourhood is a lot of fun and has great personality. But Wrigley Field itself is still a 110 year old facility that, aside from the uniqueness of the brick and ivy walls, derives most of its charm from the fact that it lacks most modern amenities.
Have you been the new and old Yankee stadium's? If so, which one was a better place to watch a game?
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:57 PM   #28
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Excellent, so as a baseball fan. Would you recommend seeing a game at Wrigley? or say enjoy the new parks such as PNC park or Target Field?

If I weighed all my options, the atmosphere and experience of seeing the game at Wrigley far outweighs the need for "most modern amenities". I attend ball games for 3 reasons, to watch baseball first and foremost, experience the crowd and have a beer and a hot dog. As a lifelong baseball fan the nuances and quirks of the old ballparks make them that more enjoyable.

I would guess the same can't really be said for hockey though. There is only two arena's that I would have loved to see a game in that are now closed, The old Montreal Forum and Maple Leaf Gardens. All other arena;s I could care less about. The Saddledome brings a fairly unique take on a hockey arena and incorporates die hard flames fans. Two things as a sports fan I would value over seeing a game in a modern arena.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:02 PM   #29
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM14 View Post
Have you been the new and old Yankee stadium's? If so, which one was a better place to watch a game?
Never got to old Yankee Stadium, but the new Yankee Stadium is one of my least favourite parks. Bland, sterile, boring. I know they tried to retain as much of the 'character' of the original as they could, but that ballpark came off as little more than a two billion dollar blown opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Excellent, so as a baseball fan. Would you recommend seeing a game at Wrigley? or say enjoy the new parks such as PNC park or Target Field?

If I weighed all my options, the atmosphere and experience of seeing the game at Wrigley far outweighs the need for "most modern amenities". I attend ball games for 3 reasons, to watch baseball first and foremost, experience the crowd and have a beer and a hot dog. As a lifelong baseball fan the nuances and quirks of the old ballparks make them that more enjoyable.
I would say go see a game anywhere. Atmosphere, however, is usually more a function of the fans than the facility. The Big O looks like what 1970s engineers thought the future would be on the outside, and the Louisiana Superdome in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina on the inside. But put 50,000 people inside looking to party, and they can make a spring training game an event.

In Wrigley, the fans create the atmosphere. But if I was recommending a place for someone to attend their first ever game, I'd always tell them to go to San Francisco long before Chicago. AT&T Park is the best of all worlds. Second, if you are a Jays fan, is Seattle when Toronto comes to town.

Quote:
I would guess the same can't really be said for hockey though. There is only two arena's that I would have loved to see a game in that are now closed, The old Montreal Forum and Maple Leaf Gardens. All other arena;s I could care less about. The Saddledome brings a fairly unique take on a hockey arena and incorporates die hard flames fans. Two things as a sports fan I would value over seeing a game in a modern arena.
Hockey's tough because the playing surface is perfectly uniform everywhere. I've found New Jersey, MSG and Minnesota quite appealing. Montreal (Molson Centre) and Vancouver mediocre and Northlands Coliseum and Nassau Colliseum the old, dumpy facilities that they were. But definitely, far more so than baseball, the arena falls into the background quickly once the game starts.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2017, 06:39 PM   #30
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
But if I was recommending a place for someone to attend their first ever game, I'd always tell them to go to San Francisco long before Chicago. AT&T Park is the best of all worlds. Second, if you are a Jays fan, is Seattle when Toronto comes to town.

Safeco is a beautiful park, if you haven't been to Minute Maid in Houston make that your next visit. Beautiful, excellent sight lines and lots of natural light on a sunny day all while being indoors and out of the stupid heat/humidity.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote