Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-17-2017, 09:50 AM   #61
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Timbers U23 defeated Lane United last night, so Tuesday's playoff game will now be in Portland.

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2017, 09:47 AM   #62
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

And just like that, the season is over. Foothills lose 3-0 to Timbers U-23 in last night's play-in game. Disappointing season on and off the pitch in my opinion. Hopefully things are better next year.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #63
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

The Calgary Sun had an article suggesting the opposite of your feelings off the field, but I'm guessing for a minor team like this the Sun likely didn't do any more than stand there with an iPhone recording saying "Hey team, say whatever you want about your season and we'll turn it into a little story in the paper".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 05:40 PM   #64
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

This article? http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/07/22...n-soccer-world

No offence to Danny Austin, but how many Foothills games did he attend this year? I didn't see him at any.

And to be fair to Tommy, he has to sell the product his club is putting out there. On the pitch, I think he's absolutely right. Foothills is one of the best youth clubs in the country in terms and it's showing, despite the disappointing way the season ended.

Off the pitch, this city has a long way to go to be a soccer city in my mind. Sure, people will support the superclubs, but the local game is a complete afterthought. That's what I personally am trying to change with each game. I did manage to get one more CP'er out to the supporters section this year, and a few randoms to our national team watch parties, so I'll just use that as motivation for next year.

But if the venue doesn't change next year, this club will start losing the small fan base they have.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:15 PM   #65
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
This article? http://www.calgarysun.com/2017/07/22...n-soccer-world

No offence to Danny Austin, but how many Foothills games did he attend this year? I didn't see him at any.

And to be fair to Tommy, he has to sell the product his club is putting out there. .
Sorry I wasn't clear, but this is exactly what I was suggesting - That the team is small enough in the city that the guy reporting didn't know or care to look into anything and instead just told Tommy "Just say what you want about your season and that will be the story".

As opposed to a higher tier sport/team where a reporter will generally have a good feel for the season and combine his own thoughts with quotes from a representative.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:05 PM   #66
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Is there any reason why they can't play out of the Calgary Rugby Union?
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary foothills , pdl