Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-16-2017, 02:35 PM   #81
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brown recluse bites can be nasty. 10% are the ones you see with the rotting skin. Others are actually Staph infections. Luckily they are reclusive and in general aren't aggressive. You essentially have to be actively killing them to get them to bite. So most bites tend to happen when you put your shoes on or a glove on without making sure there is nothing in it.

I hate spiders. I shake my shoes out every time I put them on because of the brown recluse. I stomp on every one I see (and in these parts 100% of houses have them). I also stomp the black widows though they tend to stay outside and are much less likely to be found indoors.

Last edited by ernie; 08-16-2017 at 02:41 PM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:58 PM   #82
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there is one reason we need to worry about global warming it's so we don't get all these stupid spiders in Calgary.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:33 PM   #83
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I'm not a fan of spiders. At least not the little ones. They give me the heebies.

I spent just under 3 weeks in the Bahamas (Eleuthera) many moons ago and so many of the spiders there are huge. We stayed at a boarding school (shut down for summer) and did some service work for them in order to be able to stay there. We'd come into the "cafeteria" in the morning and turn on the lights and bugs a'plenty would scatter - lots of cockroaches and other bugs I couldn't identify. We had to do a special clean of the counters, etc, before we could use anything. The big spiders were fun though. I can't recall the name of them, but they were really big - wolf spiders maybe? We used to have spider races lol - they were most often on the ceiling right over the tables, so we'd use big sticks we kept by the door, to tap the roof behind them, to get them to go running over to the other side of the room, so they didn't suddenly drop onto us while we were eating. I think the fact that they looked like they were the size of dessert plates (well, their leg span made them about that large, or they looked about that large) and easily seen is what made them not so heebie to me.

One of the guys found a tarantula on the basketball court one night and picked it up and was handling it and it suddenly jumped and lordy, they make quite the splat noise.

The other 2 bugs that were so creepy were the big arse centipedes or millipedes or whatever they were and some kind of wasp. Uck uck uck. Nasty things those centipedes/millipedes. We went to check the fishing lines of one of the school's "housefather's" one evening (he was trying to catch a shark, no idea why), and we could hear a buzzing that sounded like a horde of wasps but was really only a single wasp. Beautiful looking critter - large black main body, looked like black velvet, and orange wings. We were warned that they "don't just bite, they take chunks, and you don't ever want to tangle with one." I'm sure we were told the name of it, but I don't remember. A quick google doesn't seem to turn up any pictures of what I remember it looking like. Pretty, very beautiful insect.
I did community development work in Guyana, which is just above Brazil. We'd routinely see giant red centipedes around the construction site. They looked like this:

If they bit you, you'd apparently get a fever/trip that lasted a week.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #84
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
That would be a spider hawk. It is a giant wasp that stings tarantulas and paralyzes them. The wasp then drags the spider into the spiders own burrow and lays her eggs on the tarantula. The spider does not die, it remains alive and paralyzed until the offspring of the wasp hatch and eat the spider alive.

...and there goes my sleep for tonight.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:40 PM   #85
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I did community development work in Guyana, which is just above Brazil. We'd routinely see giant red centipedes around the construction site. They looked like this:

If they bit you, you'd apparently get a fever/trip that lasted a week.
aw hell no...

i remember watching King Kong back in the day, and i actually was genuinely scared of the giant centipede part. ughggghg
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #86
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
aw hell no...

i remember watching King Kong back in the day, and i actually was genuinely scared of the giant centipede part. ughggghg
It was actually kind of funny. The locals would preach a live and let live philosophy for most things. However, when they saw one of these, they would quickly cut it in two with a shovel. Usually took a few blows to accomplish.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:00 AM   #87
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

About a month ago I came across a nasty looking spider that came out of the suitcases at Costco. Looked deadly as hell.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
spiders nightmares