Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-20-2017, 07:09 PM   #1121
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting hire for sure. If he surrounds himself with knowledgeable CFL assistants I don't see why he can't be successful and really he's more qualified for his job than his GM whom I think is in way over his head.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:06 AM   #1122
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've thought for awhile Collaros would end up in Regina next year as the starter. Further believe that today.

@CFL_News:
Canadian Football League issued a statement Thursday that said Commissioner Randy Ambrosie is prepared to approve a contract for free agent quarterback Johnny Manziel should one be negotiated. - @CFL #CFL #Ticats

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 02:59 PM   #1123
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake View Post
I've thought for awhile Collaros would end up in Regina next year as the starter. Further believe that today.

@CFL_News:
Canadian Football League issued a statement Thursday that said Commissioner Randy Ambrosie is prepared to approve a contract for free agent quarterback Johnny Manziel should one be negotiated. - @CFL #CFL #Ticats
Interesting little nugget of he doesn't sign in Hamilton:

Quote:
The Alouettes reportedly had an interest in Manziel earlier this season, and it was Montreal head coach Mike Sherman who convinced Manziel to play at Texas A&M after he’d verbally committed to Oregon coming out of high school. Sherman was the Aggies head coach at the time.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 04:59 PM   #1124
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/cfl...dline-make-qb/

Quote:
Johnny Manziel has given the Hamilton Tiger-Cats a Jan. 31 deadline for the team to make him its quarterback, Manziel’s agent Erik Burkhardt said in a statement Monday.
Quote:
Statement from Johnny Manziel's agent, Erik Burkhardt:

"Despite much speculation and several comments from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and CFL, Johnny and I have remained silent and continued to focus on his training and preparation. Due to the tremendous support, Johnny wants to let Hamilton fans know where things stand and that he has been working hard in preparation for his comeback.

As context, the CFL maintains an archaic and restrictive rule, whereby their teams can claim an amateur players' rights, and essentially hold those rights into perpetuity, without any consideration or compensation for the player. The Hamilton Tiger-Cats of the CFL claimed Johnny's rights when he was a freshman at Texas A&M, and have continued to hold them for over 6 years.

Johnny and I have done our due diligence on the League and team, which has included visiting Hamilton, meeting with CEO Scott Mitchell, as well as multiple meetings and working out for Coach June Jones. All of these interactions have been very positive and served to reinforce Johnny’s excitement for coming out to play for the Tiger Cats. Johnny was pleased to have the opportunity to talk ball with Coach Jones, who has publicly shared his belief that Johnny would be a good fit for the team he’s trying to field.

As Hamilton has announced, and per the aforementioned restrictive rule requirements, they sent us a place-holder contract in order to maintain Johnny's rights and allow us adequate time to negotiate a deal. During our diligence process and at my request, Hamilton also graciously gave me permission to discuss potential trade options with at least one other club. Johnny and I met with those executives in Texas to discuss their organization and thoughts on Johnny's market and value around the CFL. However, due to Johnny's strong relationship with Coach Jones and Hamilton executive Kent Austin, we've made the decision to deal exclusively with Hamilton and give them until January 31st to work out a fair deal to make him their Quarterback. So that there will not be any ambiguity in regards to financial expectations, and so the public understands how seriously Johnny is considering this move, I will tell you that we believe 'fair deal' means on par with what Hamilton has paid their QB in recent years, despite not having much on-field success. If we cannot reach a deal with Hamilton by this date, we will turn our focus to several other professional options readily available to us.
Quote:
In terms of financial commitment, Manziel and Burkhardt are seeking a figure “on par with what Hamilton has paid their QB in recent years.” For context, in 2016 the Tiger-Cats signed the now-traded Zach Collaros to a three-year contract worth upwards of $500,000 annually.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Last edited by MissTeeks; 01-08-2018 at 05:01 PM.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 05:27 PM   #1125
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

It will be nothing short of a gong show should he sign in Hamilton, or anywhere for that matter. Wanting 500K a year is absurd for an oft rehabbing head case who hasnt thrown a competitive pass in what....3 years by the time the CFL kicks off?
Old 01-08-2018, 06:36 PM   #1126
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

John Football and his agent not really endearing himself to Hamilton by complaining that Hamilton has squatted on his rights for 6 years without compensation, then asked if another team could be involved in a trade (I wonder who, maybe Jones and Sask, meeting in Texas and all), not getting the answer they wanted there, and finally, asking for $500k from a team that they had no problem pointing out that “hasn’t had much success”.

Also, not sure what other options he does have other then the CFL.
Edit: Probably the XFL, assuming it gets up and running. Vince would love to have a guy like that.

Last edited by browna; 01-08-2018 at 06:42 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:36 PM   #1127
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=166207

2018 CFL Thread started
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote