Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2017, 08:29 PM   #1
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Why are University Campuses against Men's Resource Centres?

I was reading up on this issue, and found it disturbing. Political correctiveness gone astray, it seems. I honestly cannot see any objection as to why people would be against a place where Men can find refuge from issues such as divorce, depression, child custody, anger management, and peer support. You would think that by denying funding to resource centres to cater to Men, we are just making some social problems worse. Yet, here we are in 2017, and Feminist group on most Canadian University campuses are dead set against any kind of centres dedicated to resources for Men's issues.

SIMON FRASER UNIVERSITY :

"In April, the Simon Fraser University student society voted to devote $30,000 of its budget toward the development of a men’s resource centre. The battle began soon after.

Resident feminists scoffed. Men? Needing a place to discuss their “issues?” Ridiculous. Men were the issue. Meanwhile, the SFU Women’s Centre had been fighting the good fight since 1974, and offering its small campus office as a haven.

As for a men’s centre? Declared the Women’s Centre’s website — which, curiously, offers a “Male Allies” link, as if to enlist them — well, “the men’s centre is everywhere else.”

In other words, it’s still a man’s world, even if female university students significantly outnumber male students across the country, including at SFU.

The Women’s Centre would, however, support a men’s centre on one condition, and I paraphrase: if the men used the centre to admit to their gender crimes.

“Our support,” it stated on the website, “would be contingent on that centre’s mission statement, vision, and mandate. If the centre were about challenging popular conceptions about masculinity, confronting homophobia, sexism, racism, classism, and ability issues then we would definitely be the first to promote and fundraise for such a group.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/McMartin...021/story.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RYERSON UNIVERSITY:

"That’s when the 24-year-old social work student stopped by Bain’s office to tell her she’d like to do her third-year placement with the Canadian Centre for Men and Families (CCMF), an offshoot of the Canadian Association for Equality (CAFE).

The Centre, which opened in 2014, offers counseling and group support to men about such issues as fathering, trauma, family law and suicide prevention. CCMF executive director Justin Trottier says they have one of Toronto’s only groups for victims of domestic assault.

You would have thought she’d asked Bain to send her to Russia.

“Next thing I know she’s telling me it’s problematic because it exists ...that the place is an act of violence,” said Wallace last week.

Forced to defend her choice, Wallace said she broke down and revealed to Bain she’s a survivor of sexual assault and domestic violence.

She told Bain had her father been helped with his own issues that would have likely “saved” her.

“I was crying for 45 minutes straight,” she said. “If there were more support for guys and we really broke down that stigma, there’d be less hurt guys and there there’d be less hurt women.”

Instead of offering her the placement of her choice, Bain offered her a sexual assault colouring book."

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/06/10...s-at-ryerson-u

-----

I'm a firm believer of support groups for everyone. It just seems counter productive to the best interests of society to oppose these resource centres

Last edited by ToewsFan; 06-14-2017 at 12:30 PM.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:33 PM   #2
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

The pendulum of political correctness has swung way too far to one side, but there are a lot of signs it will return to a more acceptable level in the next few years.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2017, 08:47 PM   #3
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Students are so mad these days. It's really freaky. The only group I'd go to would have weights and cardio equipment so I could reasonably defend myself against bunches of angry vegan bullies. The story is from 2012 but I assume this is still in the news for some reason? Did SFU get their angry man club yet?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:02 PM   #4
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

It's all a bunch of BS by the far left to perpetuate their own belief systems and income streams.

Men are far more likely to die from drug abuse:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-us-by-gender/

http://www.kff.org/other/state-indic...2:%22asc%22%7D

and 3 times more likely to commit suicide in Canada:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-624-.../11696-eng.htm

I personally have 5 male Facebook friends who've died due to suicide or drug addiction, and I blame garbage like this and lack of resources for their deaths. They've also missed a large opportunity to stop violence committed by men. Many men who commit violent acts clearly have "issues", either mental health or otherwise. Instead of offering them a place where they can shamelessly get treatment, the universities put self-serving barriers in the way. It's already notoriously difficult for men to admit they need counselling, as it plays against society's male image to do so.

Anyways.../rant. This is an issue that gets me a bit fired up.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #5
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Something , something, patriarchy, something, something, mansplaining, something, something, pay gap.

Most of my politics lean towards classical liberal, and I originally found the emergence of the regressive left to be heartbreaking, the free thinkers became the thought police. The emergence of Trump has sent the regressive left into a perpetual temper tantrum that seems doomed to crumble under the weight of it's own piety, despite the support they receive from media, education and business, support which is mostly based on fear of being branded bigots by these vicious small minorities of well organized a-holes. At this point, I just want to throw on a MAGA hat, pop some popcorn and watch as the world realizes the only power these people have is guilt tripping while providing very little of tangible value. they'll become powerless the moment people stop empowering them.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 08:00 AM   #6
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Before we can answer the question in the title, I think we have to answer this question:

Are university campuses against mens resource centers?

This is a five year old article dredged up, it seems, so people have a reason to bitch about those goddamn lefties and the income stream they somehow get from making signs.

Anyway, simply googling "SFU mens center" brought up an event put on by SFU AMB, (Advocacy for Men and Boys). It was about the fentanyl crisis and how it affects males in particular.

Did anyone go? Apparently 4/5 victims are males.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 08:24 AM   #7
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems to be a common theme at other universities too. Ryerson has a lawsuit on going regarding their man club. I had to go to a men's group for a class and it was so stupid I can't believe anyone wants to do that. On the other hand I'm sure there are people who would benefit and would appreciate the opportunity. I'm baffled as to why anyone would oppose it, especially to this extent.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:25 AM   #8
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because 99% of "men's rights" bull#### is a reactionary "US TOO" cry because women are getting too uppity.

The vast majority of these things get shut down not long after approval due to lack of interest and non-use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 08:51 AM   #9
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some people have such simplistic minds that they believe to recognize the problems of men somehow invalidates the problems of women. According to their dogma, all politics (and society) is a zero-sum struggle between groups. There's only so much wealth/freedom/happiness/culture to go around. If someone gets more it's because they took it from you.

It's rank idiocy, but nothing really new. Extreme politics attracts troubled and irrational people. What's new is university administrations caving in to the zealots. It probably won't stop until so many professors, administrators, journalists, novelists, etc. have been burned at the stake for their impieties that the rest realize they can't just cover their ears and avoid trouble.

Liberalism is under ferocious assault. But I believe it's robust and resilient enough that it will survive. The only question is how much damage our institutions will sustain before the storm abates.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 06-14-2017 at 08:55 AM.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 08:53 AM   #10
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there something wrong with a student resources center that caters to all groups?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 08:55 AM   #11
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Is there something wrong with a student resources center that caters to all groups?
Its not a "safe place"

Plus some groups might get angry if there was an area where men and woman mixed freely and supported each other through their problems.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #12
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its not a "safe place"

Plus some groups might get angry if there was an area where men and woman mixed freely and supported each other through their problems.
Having a safe place really isn't the issue. It makes sense to have specific groups that have resources orientated towards specific issues. Given the huge problems concerning drug use and suicide in males, I don't know why some posters are mocking or downplaying the issue.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 09:07 AM   #13
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Something , something, patriarchy, something, something, mansplaining, something, something, pay gap.

Most of my politics lean towards classical liberal, and I originally found the emergence of the regressive left to be heartbreaking, the free thinkers became the thought police. The emergence of Trump has sent the regressive left into a perpetual temper tantrum that seems doomed to crumble under the weight of it's own piety, despite the support they receive from media, education and business, support which is mostly based on fear of being branded bigots by these vicious small minorities of well organized a-holes. At this point, I just want to throw on a MAGA hat, pop some popcorn and watch as the world realizes the only power these people have is guilt tripping while providing very little of tangible value. they'll become powerless the moment people stop empowering them.
I feel the same way. I lean centrist/classical liberal as well and the lunacy and delusion of the left is astounding. They have gone full ######.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Ace
Old 06-14-2017, 09:13 AM   #14
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
######.
Can you find a different word? I realize the irony in asking that given the conversation here but this is one that we don't need to have on the site. Thanks.
-Jiri
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2017, 09:15 AM   #15
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Because 99% of "men's rights" bull#### is a reactionary "US TOO" cry because women are getting too uppity.

The vast majority of these things get shut down not long after approval due to lack of interest and non-use.
Keep killing yourselves, boys, ain't no one got time for your nonsense.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:17 AM   #16
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't everything gender-fluid or gender neutral on campuses these days?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:18 AM   #17
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
Before we can answer the question in the title, I think we have to answer this question:

Are university campuses against mens resource centers?

This is a five year old article dredged up, it seems, so people have a reason to bitch about those goddamn lefties and the income stream they somehow get from making signs.
It's happening at Ryerson too.

Men’s issues group taking Ryerson University’s student union to court over club status
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:19 AM   #18
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I recommend anyone who is interested in this issue check out a documentary called "The Red Pill" by Cassie Jaye which explores the whole world of "mens rights" and the push back it receives fairly and unfairly from feminist activists.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:19 AM   #19
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Keep killing yourselves, boys, ain't no one got time for your nonsense.
And you're helping their plight how?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacopuck View Post
I recommend anyone who is interested in this issue check out a documentary called "The Red Pill" by Cassie Jaye which explores the whole world of "mens rights" and the push back it receives fairly and unfairly from feminist activists.
Or you could not give a soapbox to Paul Elam, famous man of

Quote:
In the name of equality and fairness, I am proclaiming October to be Bash a Violent Bitch Month.
Quote:
I have ideas about women who spend evenings in bars hustling men for drinks, playing on their sexual desires … And the women who drink and make out, doing everything short of sex with men all evening, and then go to his apartment at 2:00 a.m.. Sometimes both of these women end up being the “victims” of rape.

But are these women asking to get raped?

In the most severe and emphatic terms possible the answer is NO, THEY ARE NOT ASKING TO GET RAPED.

They are freaking begging for it.

Damn near demanding it.

And all the outraged PC demands to get huffy and point out how nothing justifies or excuses rape won’t change the fact that there are a lot of women who get pummeled and pumped because they are stupid (and often arrogant) enough to walk though life with the equivalent of a I’M A STUPID, CONNIVING BITCH – PLEASE RAPE ME neon sign glowing above their empty little narcissistic heads.
Quote:
Should I be called to sit on a jury for a rape trial, I vow publicly to vote not guilty, even in the face of overwhelming evidence that the charges are true.
Don't kid yourselves, very few of these initiatives are borne of true concern for men's health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 06-14-2017 at 09:23 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 09:22 AM   #20
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
And you're helping their plight how?
Attacking the idiotic notion that men are undeserving of emotional support.