Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #2181
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
It is nice to have though. I bike around downtown, river pathways, and neighborhoods where I have enjoyed have the shock absorption (I have a handlebar switch to lock up the front shock though).
Yeah I figure having the option to use the shocks or lock them out is better than not having them on the bike at all.

Plus the remote lock-out on the handlebars that some bikes have makes it real easy to do.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:33 PM   #2182
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ typically you only see remote lockouts on mtn bikes in the $2,800 and up range
Old 05-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #2183
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

fork remotes can be added for around 200USD. Rockshox sells the poploc kit which works with the low end tk, toras all the way up to the nice moco dampers. Fox.. not positive, but I think it's available on their CTD series. And pretty much all X-fusion forks with dl2 dampers have it as a factory option/add-on.

For the purpose of hybrid bikes, I really wish the OEMs would come up with something along the lines of BMC micro-travel or Moots softtail technology for the front (using some high durometer bushings to absorb road chatter). I like the bump compliance, but I can live without the extra weight or yearly fork overhauls on a city bike.

Last edited by cracher; 05-21-2015 at 07:36 PM.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:57 PM   #2184
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
^ typically you only see remote lockouts on mtn bikes in the $2,800 and up range
Cannondale Headshoks are perfect for urban commuters if you can find them. Sealed boots, remote lockout, and used to be able to be had for $1500 or so.

I also prefer having a fork on a commuter bike for some bump and curb bashing compliance but pretty much the only one I could find in existence (especially with an IGH drivetrain) was the Cannondale Bad Boy 0.

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 05-21-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:24 PM   #2185
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rode merlons view today in Bragg creek, what a great day for a ride. We were at the trailhead by 8 am and back at the vehicle at 9.45.

Like rode about 60% and pushed the rest of the way.

Lots of pain and grunting on the frontside, but the backside is worth it.

Going to Banff tomorrow to ride with the wife, all this biking combined with watching my son play baseball last night and hockey this afternoon.....what a great weekend!!!!
Old 05-23-2015, 07:01 PM   #2186
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Good conditions in west bragg?

While the banff grizz alert is gone, I would recommend bringing spray. Just got back from leisurely ride with 2 other families. Did tunnel to star wars on a hardtail. There were clumps of bear crap everywhere.

Re: lefty headshock. That's a perfect city bike. Understated, yet functional. Still can't wrap my head around a lefty though...
Old 05-23-2015, 08:11 PM   #2187
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ conditions in Bragg were flawless. Trail was dry - there were abot 5 very small wet spots.

Will likely do goat creek with the wife and then magpie and stump for post ride appies.

Thanks to the inlays for watching my kids and getting my son to baseball.
Old 05-23-2015, 09:51 PM   #2188
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Rode up Ranger Summit, down Bobcat to Ridgeback, turned around and back up Bobcat, then down Strange Brew. Bobcat is awesome. So fun. I couldn't believe how rough Strange Brew has gotten.

Last edited by bossy22; 05-23-2015 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 10:06 PM   #2189
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had a nice 31km ride today around Calgary. Started in mission, to the saddledome, ramsay, then river paths around downtown, then to the zoo and then to airport and then back tracked. I got hone and saw 31km and thought it was BS! Felt longer...
Old 05-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #2190
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today the wife and I went to Banff and road goat creek - we did 20 k in total and we had an enjoyable time riding together. It was her first real test of her new full squish mtn bike and on a couple of the downhill section she stayed right on my rear wheel - so it would appear that buying a 29r was the right decision for her.

We hit the trail at 9 and were done at 11.......we stopped for a tasty lunch at magpie and stump....the fajita hit the spot. They have to be the only Mexican restaurant that does not provide chips and salsa for "free".
Old 05-24-2015, 09:03 PM   #2191
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm thinking about doing the Goat Creek with my family - is it good for kids 6-10?
Old 05-24-2015, 09:14 PM   #2192
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

^goat creek is a big fireroad without any technical features. It's also net downhill if you go from Canmore to Banff. With the bridge in place, it's definitely doable with a 6 year old if you take your time and have a picnic in the middle. But be prepared to carry them up the big hill right after the creek. I did it last year with a 9 year old (before they opened the bridge). She thought it was a blast to ford the creek.
The Following User Says Thank You to cracher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2015, 09:23 PM   #2193
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does your six year old have a real bike with gears and wheel brakes?

You can do it without gears and just push the couple up hills but I wouldn't do it on a bike with coaster brakes.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:31 AM   #2194
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ what these guys said. if you make it a loop by riding to the bridge and going back on the other side of the river, then it is a pretty big uphill from the golf course back up tot eh parking lot that is on the otehr side of the hotel.

a couple of options for you to cosndier might be - the water tower trail - park at johnson lake though: http://www.bikepirate.com/water-tower/

the bike trails in canmore - smooth, very little climbing, options for playgrounds to stop at and posssibly grab lunch

on sunday a guy in one fo the bike shops in banff was talking about a 20k loop around the banff golf course that is apparently flat
Old 05-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #2195
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Why not make biking on sidewalks legal in the suburbs?

It's a tempting thought. Sidewalks along busier roads in Scarborough have few pedestrians. And it would help us create an instant, low-cost network of bike infrastructure.

https://nowtoronto.com/news/transpor...n-the-suburbs/

A Montreal sidewalk that's been converted to a pedestrian and cycle track.
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #2196
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have a few of those, not many though.
https://www.google.com/maps/myplaces...214.22,,0,3.93

They are a bit more dangerous though, as vehicles turning across them are less likely to spot the cyclist. Probably good on some of those long boulevard sections though, like here:
https://www.google.com/maps/myplaces...=16&dg=feature
if the sidewalk wasn't so narrow.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:48 PM   #2197
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, with all the new bike lanes and a new found appreciation for the city pathways along the river, I've decided I want to get a bike. I haven't had one since I was a kid.

Any recommendations? I want some thing that is good for roads, pathways, maybe going into fish creek once in a while. I've read a little bit about hybrid bikes, are those good multi purpose bikes?

Are bikes from SportChek or Canadian tire ok for this type of thing, or better to stay away from those?

Can I get something decent for around $500 or less? I don't really want to spend a lot as I'm not sure how serious I'll get about it, just something to try for the summer.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Old 05-25-2015, 02:54 PM   #2198
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A Hybrid will be the most comfortable for what you want, but won't be great off road. I was in the Bike Shop and found one for my co-worker for $800. MEC has some for around that price as well. It is really the bottom end of what you can pay for something that won't frustrate you with crappy gears and brakes. You can always sell it for a bit of a loss, and will probably still be further ahead than the cheepos.

I used to assemble Zellers/Wall Mart bikes, and those are horrible machines, barely able to make it out of the store without falling apart. I got really good at setting them up, but man, I would never wish those on my enemies. Sport Chek/Canadian Tire are a step up from them, though. Still, I'd rather spend $800, find I don't like it and sell it for $400 than spend $300 on a bike that sucks and you won't be able to sell.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2015, 03:01 PM   #2199
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

non bike people are shocked when I tell them $300 will buy them a crappy bike.
Old 05-25-2015, 03:06 PM   #2200
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Any recommendations? I want some thing that is good for roads, pathways, maybe going into fish creek once in a while. I've read a little bit about hybrid bikes, are those good multi purpose bikes?

Are bikes from SportChek or Canadian tire ok for this type of thing, or better to stay away from those?

Can I get something decent for around $500 or less? I don't really want to spend a lot as I'm not sure how serious I'll get about it, just something to try for the summer.
Don't go to Canadian Tire. You'll get something that you'll be fixing all the time, and that won't have much resell value if you decide biking isn't your thing after all.

Spend a little more and get a solid brand like a Trek from a place like Calgary Cycle. You can get a decent bike there for $550 to $700. And they include free lifetime tuneups.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread