Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #661
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
I suppose you could argue that Hartley didn't "play" Torts as much as Torts "played" himself by allowing his own emotions to control his behaviour....
His team won the game which is what they needed to do.

So what is the downside for Tortorella and upside for Hartley that had hartley playing him?

I could understand if Hartley got the Sisters involved and tossed out giving Calgary a chance to win the game but in this case both teams lost their scrubs and Vancouver went on to win.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #662
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I suppose you could argue that Hartley didn't "play" Torts as much as Torts "played" himself by allowing his own emotions to control his behaviour....
But Hartley knew that and took advantage of it.

Torts is too used to being the aggressor, so when he was put on his heels he lost it.

I'm not saying Hartley is some evil genius or the greatest coach in the universe, but he manipulated Torts by instigating the meltdown and proceeded to rather successfully make it look like all of Torts' fault.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #663
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
His team won the game which is what they needed to do.

So what is the downside for Tortorella and upside for Hartley that had hartley playing him?

I could understand if Hartley got the Sisters involved and tossed out giving Calgary a chance to win the game but in this case both teams lost their scrubs and Vancouver went on to win.
About $80K and the potential for his team to be at a disadvantage for 6 more games.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #664
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hartley totally played Tortorella, the results speak for themselves. I didn't realize the Canucks to a man were so gutless that the coach had to step in and defend their honour, didn't see that coming. Now Vancouver fans are cheering Torts for "standing up" for the team?

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #665
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
But Hartley knew that and took advantage of it.

Torts is too used to being the aggressor, so when he was put on his heels he lost it.

I'm not saying Hartley is some evil genius or the greatest coach in the universe, but he manipulated Torts by instigating the meltdown and proceeded to rather successfully make it look like all of Torts' fault.
...which is why I do believe that Hartley played that part well...
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #666
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Hartley totally played Tortorella, the results speak for themselves. I didn't realize the Canucks to a man were so gutless that the coach had to step in and defend their honour, didn't see that coming. Now Vancouver fans are cheering Torts for "standing up" for the team?

Agreed, which is why I say that he didnt really stand up for them so much as he fought their battle for them, and he lost and looked like a doofus doing it. He fits Vancouver so well.

Quote:
And I agree. And I certainly believe that Hartley knew what he was doing.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:14 PM   #667
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Shows a complete misunderstanding of the game of hockey, but nice try.

There's only one incident I can remember in recent history that has a goon attacking a talented player - and it was Scott Vs. Kessel, and it was a gong show. Kessel did well in protecting himself. It does not happen often, and McGrattan is one of the more respected "goons" in the league because he lives by that often criticized but very real unspoken code among players.

So, no - McGrattan and Westgarth would not have tackled the Sedins, and anyone who believes they would have isn't paying attention to the NHL and is just making noise for the sake of noise.
... To add to that, beyond Scott, I can only think of 3 recent incidents where a player tried to fight another player that didn't want to engage. All were Canucks with Sestito doing it twice in his last 2 games.
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #668
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
yes, I agree. He was great in leading by example when Torts was in the hallway. All the flames players and coaches (besides Clint) were pretty calm, that is what made me laugh the most about that whole thing. I wish there was a camera pointing in the other direction.
foshizzle11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #669
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I would guess that Westgarth took the FO because Hartley wanted his guys to fight.
My guess is that the lineup card had Jones at C.

And that is why Torts put Lain out there at C - to have another go at Jones. His act about not being sure about putting Lain out there or not was garbage - he put Lain out there against Jones.

But when they lined up at centre for the faceoff, Hartley (presumably, or maybe just the players) moved Westgarth to C to face Lain and protect Jones.

That's when Bieksa saw that Lain was in a bad place and played hero (until he actually played chicken ####)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #670
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bieksa never played hero. Bieksa played pansy.

He took that faceoff because he knew the ref was right there and if he didnt want to fight he wasnt going to get hit. He may have momentarily 'protected the rookie' but he knew that he was going to be protected by the ref.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2014, 02:28 PM   #671
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was using the term sarcastically
Old 01-21-2014, 02:48 PM   #672
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
My guess is that the lineup card had Jones at C.

And that is why Torts put Lain out there at C - to have another go at Jones. His act about not being sure about putting Lain out there or not was garbage - he put Lain out there against Jones.

But when they lined up at centre for the faceoff, Hartley (presumably, or maybe just the players) moved Westgarth to C to face Lain and protect Jones.

That's when Bieksa saw that Lain was in a bad place and played hero (until he actually played chicken ####)
Either that or he put his 4th line center out there to center his 4th line.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #673
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Really? Then why did SuperBieksaMan feel the need to save him? He even skipped the whole 'getting changed in a phone booth' rigmarole because the situation was so drastically dire.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:55 PM   #674
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
The guy was just called up and hadn't played a game yet, but okay.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:56 PM   #675
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Really? Then why did SuperBieksaMan feel the need to save him? He even skipped the whole 'getting changed in a phone booth' rigmarole because the situation was so drastically dire.
Who knows what Bieksa was thinking, but Lain was the only Canuck center on the ice so inferring that having him take the draw was some sort of devious plan by Tortorella seems a little far fetched.
Old 01-21-2014, 02:59 PM   #676
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The guy was just called up and hadn't played a game yet, but okay.
That doesn't change the fact that he's their current 4th line center due to Santorelli getting injured along with Richardson and Dalpe getting moved up. He's slated to center Sestito and Weise again tonight vs. EDM.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:08 PM   #677
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope the Oilers start their 4th line tonight against the Canucks, with a camera on Torts wherever he is watching the game.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:10 PM   #678
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschick88 View Post
Not sure where to put this.... Canucks and Oilers play tonight.

@EdmontonOilers I don't think these teams have liked each other for a very long time, and I don't think that's ever going to change." - Eakins on EDM/VAN

@SportsnetSpec Luke Gazdic on VAN: "I don't think a lot of people like that team. I grew up in ONT. These are the games I circle on my calendar."

@SportsnetSpec Gazdic: "That guy Sestito has been running around."
Eagerly looking forward to the one tough player the Oilers dealing with the Canucks. The Canucks might not be a tough team... but they would whip the Oilers around if they wanted.

EDIT: Guess they actually have two now with Hendricks.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #679
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
yes, I agree. He was great in leading by example when Torts was in the hallway. All the flames players and coaches (besides Clint) were pretty calm, that is what made me laugh the most about that whole thing. I wish there was a camera pointing in the other direction.
Pretty much a tactic they use to try and piss other players off and definitely not the first time they have done it. Vancouver is pretty much the only team I usually recall doing that kind of stuff. The incident with Phil Kessel also comes to mind although I think he was genuinely scared at the time.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:38 PM   #680
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
... To add to that, beyond Scott, I can only think of 3 recent incidents where a player tried to fight another player that didn't want to engage. All were Canucks with Sestito doing it twice in his last 2 games.

Ference vs. Stempniak also comes to mind.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote