Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2017, 10:13 PM   #21
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

As someone who has never ordered from Amazon, how does the delivery work? Do I need to be home to sign off? Or will they just put it at the door?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:54 PM   #22
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
As someone who has never ordered from Amazon, how does the delivery work? Do I need to be home to sign off? Or will they just put it at the door?
I order a ton from Amazon and I would bet its about 90-95% of the time just left at the door, no signature or anything. 5-10% of the time it arrives through CanadaPost and if it is too big for the super-box it will require a trip to the post office.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swarly For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2017, 10:57 PM   #23
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Same here. Tons of stuff ordered and they just drop it at your door. Only once have I had to go to the post office because of something.

Well worth the $80 or whatever the prime account is. The amount I have saved in the past three months on just the subscribe and save things has paid for that, let alone access to any shows/movies on prime TV.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:09 AM   #24
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep, everything's just been left at the door.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:30 AM   #25
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For more expensive items, I've started using the post office pickup option out of paranoia. I don't think I've had anything stolen from my front door, but any packages left there are easily visible on a moderately trafficked street. Is front door package sniping a thing at all or is that just in my imagination?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:33 AM   #26
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, I'm a little tempted to get something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Model-3002A-Se...l+delivery+box
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:34 AM   #27
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is no guarantee the delivery person will use that unfortunately.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:14 AM   #28
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure if it is in an obvious enough place(I have room right next to my door) the majority of the time they would figure it out.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:18 AM   #29
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Watch if it's sold through Amazon or not. I've purchased an item through a re-seller and it was a PITA. They used fedex and required a signature and I happened to be out of town when they were delivering. A $100 item almost ran me $30 in gas to go pickup at the airport.

As far as Amazon stuff goes though, it's either been dropped off at the door, left in the mailbox, or taken to the post office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Is front door package sniping a thing at all or is that just in my imagination?
Not out of the realm of possibility. Every Christmas it seems there's a few news stories about entire neighborhood's parcels being scooped up.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:22 AM   #30
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I'd wait until you have an issue. One of my packages was mis-delivered by Canada Post and was actually signed by someone else (one of the rare ones that required a signature, even though the value was relatively low: about $35 worth of soaps, shampoo, and other household stuff). I told Amazon about this, they immediately had a replacement sent out with free next day delivery, and when the original one turned up randomly a few days later they just said to keep both.

I'm sure that if a trend develops they'll take a closer look, but for one-off issues like that, I have heard that they are very good at ensuring that you get your stuff regardless (especially their own products - not so sure about the other merchants that use Amazon). I guess it depends on the visibility of your front door, the neighbourhood, etc. but I've never been too concerned. I have a nice little nook by my front door that the couriers use though.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 08:26 AM   #31
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've had some good experiences with Prime, and some bad ones. I bought a Nintendo Switch game and pre-ordered another game at the same time.

What was previously their "2-day shipping" turned into "3-week shipping" because they decided they should wait for the pre-ordered game to be released before sending the other item.

I only buy items one at a time now.
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:26 AM   #32
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, now I've got like 6 "Parcel Thief Revenge" videos queued up on YouTube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 09:07 AM   #33
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Same here. Tons of stuff ordered and they just drop it at your door. Only once have I had to go to the post office because of something.

Well worth the $80 or whatever the prime account is. The amount I have saved in the past three months on just the subscribe and save things has paid for that, let alone access to any shows/movies on prime TV.
Hmmm I just got Amazon Prime and it appears music/movies isn't available in Canada. Totally not worth it to me if I don't get access to those things.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:37 AM   #34
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hmmm I just got Amazon Prime and it appears music/movies isn't available in Canada. Totally not worth it to me if I don't get access to those things.
Canadian customers do get Prime Video, although admittedly the selection is pretty poor. Unless you're referring to physical movies and music.

Being able to watch The Grand Tour was what pushed my to keep Prime after my trial, but I actually found it to be kind of bland and I haven't even finished it. In the meantime, my purchasing of products on Amazon has skyrocketed because of the delivery perks. Almost all of my orders are things that I would be buying anyway, but I have definitely shifted a lot of purchasing from other retailers over to Amazon because of price and convenience. My goal was to save the $80 Prime cost within the year, and I'm easily on track.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #35
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Two of the perks that has Prime pay for itself for me is on video games, you save 20% off of pre-orders.

Also not having to pay for shipping on smaller orders. I used to hate trying to get the total value of my order to that threshold that qualify for free shipping.
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:50 AM   #36
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

so I guess then, treat Amazon orders like the zero fraud liability on credit cards and assume you will be taken care of in case of theft. that works for when the package is not time sensitive, but I still think I'll do post office for Christmas shopping, when a guaranteed delivery date is critical. but maybe having things get temporarily lost and sometimes ending up with two of the item in the end is bizarrely tantalizing.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #37
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well the entire thread was discussing delivery, no one ever mentioned music/movies.

With Canadian Prime you get:

Amazon Prime Video (amazon exclusive shows)
20% off Amazon Basics
20% off pre and new release video games
1 day delivery in Calgary
2 day delivery everywhere else.
and I think subscription discounts and some other small perks.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:30 AM   #38
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Well the entire thread was discussing delivery, no one ever mentioned music/movies.

With Canadian Prime you get:

Amazon Prime Video (amazon exclusive shows)
20% off Amazon Basics
20% off pre and new release video games
1 day delivery in Calgary
2 day delivery everywhere else.
and I think subscription discounts and some other small perks.
You also get Twitch Prime and I think you get books on Kindle?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:42 AM   #39
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
You also get Twitch Prime and I think you get books on Kindle?
The Netflix style subscription for Kindle? No, that's unfortunately separate.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #40
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
so I guess then, treat Amazon orders like the zero fraud liability on credit cards and assume you will be taken care of in case of theft. that works for when the package is not time sensitive, but I still think I'll do post office for Christmas shopping, when a guaranteed delivery date is critical. but maybe having things get temporarily lost and sometimes ending up with two of the item in the end is bizarrely tantalizing.

All I'm saying is that cameras and lockboxes might be overkill unless you're actually suspecting/expecting theft.

Amazon chooses to instruct their carriers to leave items without a signature (I don't even think that you can request this) because of speed and convenience. And the level of loss must be low enough for them to do it this way.