Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2017, 03:56 PM   #141
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Release King, move Treliving to King's position, hire Sutter as GM and keep Burke where he is.

I know Sutter screwed up a couple times as GM, but I think he would have learned from it and overall, I think he did well (aside from not finding a decent coach).

Treliving is both a good hockey and business mind and would probably be great on higher level.
Why risk that when there's a really good GM already? What would this accomplish?
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:00 PM   #142
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Why risk that when there's a really good GM already? What would this accomplish?
You replace King with someone better.

I am also not of the same opinion of Treliving as others for GM. I think he has been OK, but I am not convinced he is better than other options.
Old 04-27-2017, 04:11 PM   #143
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I am also not of the same opinion of Treliving as others for GM. I think he has been OK, but I am not convinced he is better than other options.
What makes you think Treleving is better at King's job than King? What are you basing this on? Treleving's record as a GM and an AGM down in Arizona versus King's track record as President of the Flames? Those things are hardly comparable.

It's opinions like this that highlight with all the complaining people do about King (whether he's good at his job or not), many of those complaining have no clue what his job actually is.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:14 PM   #144
alan21
Don't click that link!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
What makes you think Treleving is better at King's job than King? What are you basing this on? Treleving's record as a GM and an AGM down in Arizona versus King's track record as President of the Flames? Those things are hardly comparable.

It's opinions like this that highlight with all the complaining people do about King (whether he's good at his job or not), many of those complaining have no clue what his job actually is.
If the rumors are true, he seems to not know his job description as well with all the tampering with hockey ops allegations.
alan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #145
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we replaced King with Sutter and Burke stayed I think we'd have the most belligerent front-office in all of sports.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:35 PM   #146
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Release King, move Treliving to King's position, hire Sutter as GM and keep Burke where he is.

I know Sutter screwed up a couple times as GM, but I think he would have learned from it and overall, I think he did well (aside from not finding a decent coach).

Treliving is both a good hockey and business mind and would probably be great on higher level.
I just wanted to go on record and say this might be the worst idea of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 04:41 PM   #147
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

Anyone who thinks that Treliving has been merely "okay" has exaggerated expectations of the office. People like to point to a handful of questionable decisions made by Treliving in his tenure in Calgary, but then also fail to balance this against the work of his 29 counterparts in the NHL. Never mind the fact that he has only been a GM in this League for three years; the fact of the matter is that ALL General Managers will NOT always make perfect decisions, and against this metric Treliving actually looks pretty stellar.

Quote:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 04:41 PM   #148
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Praying to the highest of heavens that he lands in the Desert

But I doubt it.. Tippett could go 0-82 and keep his job
Doesn't Tippet have a lot of say in what goes on in the Desert, maybe even more than the GM?

Another question is how much did King have to do with the bad deals that are being laid at Darryl's feet?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #149
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
If we replaced King with Sutter and Burke stayed I think we'd have the most belligerent front-office in all of sports.
Just imagine D. Sutter in the same room with Mayor Nenshi. That could be a successful reality TV show.

Quote:
Old 04-27-2017, 05:41 PM   #150
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Just imagine D. Sutter in the same room with Mayor Nenshi. That could be a successful reality TV show.
Throw Conroy in there just to spread a little anarchy.

I'd love to watch a conversation between Conroy and Nenshi. I think their heads would do that 180 degree spin thing.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 10:01 PM   #151
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

As has been intimated, Sutter is the right guy for a team on the cusp, with a fair bit of talent and skills, but needing the edge/push/nasty streak/confidence that he can provide by the way he pushes buttons. Obviously his LA time proved that.

The Flames with their young guys are a year or two away from needing that sort of coach, of course assuming that GG can't get them over the hump.

No need to get into this but I will defend his GM time here. He took risks and made some mistakes that didn't work out. But he made a lot of decisions that did work out and got a lot of players here that wouldn't have come here without him and him being a standup guy and man of his word. Given the complete joke his predecessor was and, who he himself succeeded (neither of which have been in the league since their respective Flame gigs), he's judged about too harshly, especially considering he wanted to go back to the bench and do both jobs after Playfair got disrespected by the dressing room. The owners (Edwards) said no so he hired Keenan.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:15 PM   #152
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

wow Sutter for GM over Tre? What is happening to this place.

Has everyone forgot how horrendous of a GM he was here?

Why in gods name would you EVER consider not having one of the best GM's as your GM? Is it just because of your blind hatred over King?

Last edited by smiggy77; 04-27-2017 at 10:19 PM.
smiggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smiggy77 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 11:00 PM   #153
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
Why in gods name would you EVER consider not having one of the best GM's as your GM?
I think the answer is pretty clear...

ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 11:35 PM   #154
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was just throwing it out there. I am not trying to really sell the idea, although I love how serious people get. I know a lot of people don't think King is cutting it and Treliving is still unsigned going in to next season, so it was a "what if" scenario more than anything.

I am also not sure what Treliving has done to be "one of the best GMs". It is odd the amount of love he gets (most of his moves are too early to even judge fairly). The Flames were a rebuilding team when he took over and are getting results becoming of a rebuilding team a few years after him taking over. That's adequate, but it is not like he took an underdog team to the Cup finals or anything like that.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-27-2017 at 11:42 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote