Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Donald Trump's first 100 days have been a success.
Agree 45 11.00%
Not sure 22 5.38%
Disagree 342 83.62%
Voters: 409. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 01:35 PM   #1901
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Kasich and actually Bush were the two moderates and not only were they moderate they actually wanted to talk policy, particulars and how to actually help people. Even if I don't agree with the theories they believe in, I do believe they had people's interest at heart and to do that requires reaching across the aisle and making compromises....i.e. governing from the middle.

A very large chunk of the voting public doesn't care about the policies and particulars or helping others. They are shamelessly self-centered and stupid.
I can't say I'm super well versed in Kasichs' specific political philosophy but he makes noises that would seem at home with a big chunk of Democrats. As alluded to earlier, he's about the only high profile guy, on either side, that talks consistently about bi-partisan solutions. This is the only way the US is going to move forward. Find some wins with moderates and let the fringes continue yelling at each other while they get some things done.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:42 PM   #1902
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's a centrist on many issues, as an Ohio governor is wont to be. Devotedly pro-life though. Like, barely distinguishable from what you'd expect from the governor of Alabama pro-life.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 04-28-2017, 01:58 PM   #1903
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
He's a centrist on many issues, as an Ohio governor is wont to be. Devotedly pro-life though. Like, barely distinguishable from what you'd expect from the governor of Alabama pro-life.
Yeah, I was aware of his position on abortion. That said, he appears to respect the law and the will of the people. For example, while he's lukewarm to gay marriage, as you would expect from a moderate Republican, he's publicly stated that the issue has been dealt with and there's nothing further to debate. About the best position, currently, you can expect from a GOP'er with national profile.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:03 PM   #1904
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

In that case you would think he wouldn't take steps to try to skirt the existing abortion SCOTUS law and the will of the majority of Americans who are pro-choice (and if memory serves the majority of Ohio residents too, but I could be wrong about that). But I'm not arguing your central point which is that even if his principles aren't necessarily mine, they are honest principles and he seems like an earnest guy. When it comes to Republicans, he's what a "good" one looks like.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 04-28-2017, 02:07 PM   #1905
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Remember when you breathed a sigh of relief when that crazy sheriff guy didn't get a cabinet post. The one in the news recently when a guy in his jail died from being refused water? Yeah he might get a post after all.

The White House is considering David Clarke, the sheriff of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, for a position at the Department of Homeland Security, three people familiar with the administration’s planning told POLITICO.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...ty-post-237760
Old 04-28-2017, 02:07 PM   #1906
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kasich is at least sane.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:08 PM   #1907
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Remember when you breathed a sigh of relief when that crazy sheriff guy didn't get a cabinet post. The one in the news recently when a guy in his jail died from being refused water? Yeah he might get a post after all.

The White House is considering David Clarke, the sheriff of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin, for a position at the Department of Homeland Security, three people familiar with the administration’s planning told POLITICO.
I've always thought of this guy as an angry white guy in a black guys body.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #1908
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
Kasich is at least sane.
His wife is a Democrat. She probably keeps him sane.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:03 PM   #1909
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

So after a First 100 days of failure, Trump does a speech in front of the NRA, to talk about his electoral win, and get a little worship to soothe his ego.
Old 04-28-2017, 04:07 PM   #1910
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should be interesting to see what he says after North Korea's ballistic missile test today...
Old 04-28-2017, 04:10 PM   #1911
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Should be interesting to see what he says after North Korea's ballistic missile test today...
it's what he does, that has me a little nervous, especially now that he's all jacked up on NRA testosterone.

Last edited by DuffMan; 04-28-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 05:00 PM   #1912
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Old 04-28-2017, 05:03 PM   #1913
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PostandIn View Post
I can't say I'm super well versed in Kasichs' specific political philosophy but he makes noises that would seem at home with a big chunk of Democrats. As alluded to earlier, he's about the only high profile guy, on either side, that talks consistently about bi-partisan solutions. This is the only way the US is going to move forward. Find some wins with moderates and let the fringes continue yelling at each other while they get some things done.
I should clarify. There is a lot I don't like about the GOP and he subscribes to many of those beliefs on a personal level. However, he's a grown up that can have actual discussion of ideas, respect others beliefs (as someone pointed out his wife is a democrat), and knows the role of government is not to force through your own personal beliefs but what is good for the majority of people or at least what the majority accepts as good. That was what I was trying to say.

In short, he's a professional who appears to have gotten into public service for the right reasons. Like Biden on the other side of the aisle. I could respect Kasich without an issue. Again maybe not believe in everything he does but respect him. Honestly given his vision on how things should work he'd have likely passed ACA changes with broad bipartisan support.

But the GOP and their base isn't interested in grown up discussions and bipartisan support. They want things their way and only their way...based on evangelical beliefs. They have no room for other opinions. And for that reason I hope their control of the houses and administration continues to be an absolute failure. It gives the democrats the chance to move middle even middle right and get things back. At this time, only the dems have even a hint of concern for doing the "right" thing rather than what their god says they should do to people.
The Following User Says Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 06:19 PM   #1914
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post

So at what point does the U.S. just give up and implode on itself? They must be getting close to the breaking point by now, and it's only been three months. That country has survived a lot of crazy s--t over the decades, but can they survive three more years of Trump?

The United States doesn't have enough teenagers (relative to the over-35 population) to implode into violence.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:37 PM   #1915
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

North Korea's missile test fails, US military says:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/28/world/...issile-launch/

Quote:
North Korea on Saturday launched a ballistic missile that blew up over land, a spokesman for the US Pacific Command said

The missile didn't leave North Korean territory, US Navy Cmdr. Dave Benham said.
A US military assessment found the main part of the missile landed approximately 35 kilometers (22 miles) from Pukchang airfield, a US official told CNN.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:36 PM   #1916
photon

Exp:

Good news USAians, May 1st is now... Loyalty Day!

President Donald Trump on Friday proclaimed May 1 as 'Loyalty Day' as a way to "recognize and reaffirm our allegiance to the principles" upon which America was built and express pride in those ideals, according to a release of the proclamation from the White House.

“The United States stands as the world's leader in upholding the ideals of freedom, equality, and justice. Together, and with these fundamental concepts enshrined in our Constitution, our Nation perseveres in the face of those who would seek to harm it," the proclamation reads.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...yalty-day.html

EDIT: It was already a thing I guess, nevermind me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loyalty_Day
Old 04-28-2017, 08:59 PM   #1917
photon

Exp:

A new report Friday evening claims the Trump transition team and White House did vet Mike Flynn before serving as national security adviser, contrary to what the Trump administration has said.

Sources told NBC News that with Flynn the process was performed "done very casually," Rachel Maddow announced on her evening MSNBC program. One source said the Trump transition team was even aware of Flynn's business ties to Turkey.

Flynn registered retroactively as a foreign agent in February and disclosed that he was paid by a Dutch company to represent Turkish interests. Previously that same month, Flynn was fired from the White House after it was revealed his misled Vice President Mike Pence about his communications with a Russian envoy.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/tr...rticle/2621646
Old 04-28-2017, 11:45 PM   #1918
Illuminaughty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
You are just so wrong on pretty everything you espouse. You buy into so many fallacies promoted by conservative dogma. Regan [sic] was this patron saint of all things conservative. He was a small government conservative that single handedly defeated communism! That narrative of "The Great Leader" is one that makes the North Koreans green with envy; spinning a story so detached from reality it is amazing anyone buys it. Reagan was responsible for the greatest expansion in American government in the history or the country. He was responsible for the greatest expansion in debt as well, and at astronomical interest rates. Reagan was a cut-and-run, negotiate-with-terrorists, big-spending, government-expanding conservative. But the only thing that really matters there is the last word. Reagan was a conservative, and for that reason he is a saint. He cut taxes on the rich and saddled that debt onto the middle class and poor, and for that he is remembered fondly, and a great mythos has been developed around him. Since Reagan the political center point has continued a continued a rapid move to the right, not the left, and the country suffers with each step.

When you're standing in the Pacific ocean and staring into the sun, pretty well everything else in the country is to your left. When you're so far right that Breitbart is your only trustworthy source of information, everything appears left.

The reality is that the media is neutral. If they appear to be left leaning it is only because most of the people who work in the industry were trained in journalism, a liberal art. Journalism relies heavily on facts, which are again tied to the sciences, which to the right are nothing more than leftist voodoo. Has it ever struck you that possibly your views are so extreme that every thing else just appears to be to your left?

Do you actually just repeat these mindless tropes rather than fact checking them first? I mean, they are just so easy to destroy.

http://federal-tax-rates.insidegov.com/

http://theweek.com/articles/469889/d...resident-obama

Except it is a RW philosophy. Every conservative that has come into office has been big into government expansion, mostly through the military and expansion of the military budget. You can try and argue that leftists spend large sums of money on defense as well, but when the United States spends more than the next seven (that number used to be the next twenty nations until the recent renewal of the arms race) you can't use that tired narrative as a defense.

No, regulation has nothing to do with entitlements. Also, you're ####ing right I'm owed those entitlements. I pay into them as an investment in my future and as a safety net in the event of unforeseen circumstances. They owe me that money! Or do you pay into your RSSPs and insurance policies not expecting them to be there in the future when you need them? Man, how pissed would you be if you got into a wreck and your insurance company decided they weren't going to pay out anything, in essence stealing your money. Worse, how would you feel if when you arrived at the hospital they turned you away and you were told your insurance wasn't accepted. Then, to pay for your care you go to dip into those RRSPs only to find that you don't have any money in them because your investment broker made off with them to pay for his yacht in the Caymans?

Hey man, feel free to pick your ass up and move to Zimbabwe where there are no controls on anything and you survive off of what you earn. No support from anyone or anything. Just good old fashioned capitalism at work.

Riiiiiight. Like it was the left that started the culture wars. I forget, who was it that solid his soul to the Moral Majority to get elected?
Alright, I know this is late but I clearly don't have the time nor the desire to sit here everyday and debate politics with the strong leftist majority on this forum. You seem to be their Fonzy.... So let's dance, I'll cut the head off the snake so to say.

First of all I pretty much agree with you on most of the things you said about Regan, if you read what I posted I wasn't singing his praises, we were debating whether or not to use his government as the defined middle. The similarities between the Regan administration and the Obama administration are actually fairly close ( growing the government and increasing the debt/deficit).

I know it's hard for you to resist taking a run at me and boxing me into what you think I think or believe, but I don't like Fox, Breitbart or especially infowars. I treat every issue separately. Call me crazy but I don't see more government as a solution to really any issue anymore. Everything the government touches becomes inefficient, costly and bogged down by bureaucracy and bs justifications.

Also, the middle class always pay all the taxes, that's not a partisan thing.

Please define the "rich", it's got a bit muddled with the emergence of Bernie Saunders and anybody who receives a paycheck as being rich. It's a pretty stupid economic policy to over regulate and tax businesses then wonder why there are no jobs anymore.

As I stated earlier, do we have more taxes now and government controls, spending and entitlements then during Regans era? Think about it before you answer. It's pretty obvious. Regan and Kennedy both proved that cutting taxes leads to economic growth. Also does your link take into account inflation and the devalued dollar? Is it taking into account, State, property and payroll taxes? What about other taxes like alcohol, gas lottery ect. ect. Nice try though.

LOL the media being neutral???? Do you actually believe that???? Of course you do. Where do you get your unbiased center spectrum news from? Don't keep it to yourself, please share it. LOL Liberals and facts BAHAHA! Just like there are 30 + genders and you can pay Woman less money for equal work then a Man. And you claim to be fairly conservative. What other Liberal facts or science do you have? HAHAHA

Journalism is very Liberal just like most post secondary subjects are also very Liberal leaning, other then the STEM fields where you have to learn skills that will actually apply to a job. 30% of Social scientists currently identify as openly Marxist. Antonio Gramsci and the "long march" after all right.

Again large military spending isn't a partisan issue. Obama spent large amounts of money on the military and bombed people. That's not a left or right thing, that's a reality of the American political theatre and the military industrial complex. I'm of the belief that governments should purposely be kept so small, that you can't have big money interests influence policy to such an extent. Also how much did communist Russia spend on defence and espionage? It's not a right wing thing. If you keep government small, there is no need for a giant military, that's pretty simple.

I'd personally rather the government not be in charge of my insurance or retirement. It's just something else they will screw up or confiscate when the boomers all retire and need healthcare (it was always front end loaded). Insurance is always looking for ways to not pay out. It's nice to have but don't ever depend on it. I'd rather have more money and pay less taxes and have a savings account that I put money into, then handing it all over to the government to handle for me. Liberty is responsibility, that's why leftists want a Nanny state, they're lazy and paranoid.

Why would I want to go to Zimbabwe? Why don't you just move to China or Sweden since you hate freedom and individualism so much.

The culture war started in the 60's with the baby boomers and all that free love BS rebelling against traditionalism. Now their kids have grown up and look at it, it's terrifying.
Old 04-29-2017, 12:03 AM   #1919
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That was a lot of text that was pretty much meh...for someone who didn't have the time, you took the time. And you took it for nothing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roast Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2017, 01:58 AM   #1920
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Macbeth, Act 5, Scene V, lines 26-28
Closed Thread

Tags
america first=loss , healthcare=loss , so much winning... , thats damn good covfefe , there will be tweetstorms