Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 11:17 PM   #3361
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
I'm pretty Sam is a level headed kid. He would be the first person to tell you the season didn't go as he would have liked. I don't think Sam would look at the Drouin situation and pout. He knows he needs to earn it. He had a great playoff series, now build off of it. His contract will be more fuel to the fire for him. He will be a great player for this team.
Yup. Agree with everything you said. But when your dealing with agents and negotiations it's not as simple as that.

It was a hypothetical though. I don't think it would be a big deal.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 04-28-2017 at 11:20 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 11:24 PM   #3362
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT77 View Post
Drouin seems to be a similar player as Gaudreau and they're both LW, he is bigger though.
Think of Drouin as a grinder with elite offensive abilities and willpower. I think if there is any chance that he is available, you have to go for it.

Old 04-28-2017, 11:29 PM   #3363
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames are full of playmakers. Let's see.. there's Gaudreau, and.... wait... is that it?

Flames could definitely use a guy like Drouin. Versteeg is a good playmaker, but then it falls off. Backlund isn't that great a playmaker - he just drives possession like nobody does. Ditto on Frolik. Tkachuk is a a bit of both, but I wouldn't call him a playmaker. Monahan is a shooter (underrated passer, but mostly a shooter). Ferland a shooter. Bennett is more of a shooter. I would say Drouin would fit really nicely on the Flames.

I would be shocked if a trade happened though. Drouin would cost quite a bit, and Calgary simply can't afford to ship a defencemen their way.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:40 PM   #3364
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

A Drouin for tanev deal makes a lot of sense for both teams as a baseline

Canucks would have to add a bit I think
Old 04-28-2017, 11:47 PM   #3365
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I would be shocked if a trade happened though. Drouin would cost quite a bit, and Calgary simply can't afford to ship a defencemen their way.
I might consider a trade for Drouin involving Dougie Hamilton. I wasn't too enamoured with Hamilton's performance in the playoffs. I also haven't been too impressed with his defensive play. I now he is still young, but he's also been in the league awhile now.

If it was Drouin and Sustr for the Hamilton brothers, I would give that some serious thought.

I'm starting to think that Gio can make any partner look like an all star. Maybe make that deal and then sign two of Stone, Franson, Alzner, Kulikov or even Russell and you still have a decent top 4 defence core. Or see if your best defenceman in Stockton can keep up with Gio.

Gio-Anderson
Brodie-Stone
Kulak/Bartkowski-Sustr

or

Gio-Brodie
Russell-Stone
Kulak/Bartkowski-Sustr
Old 04-28-2017, 11:49 PM   #3366
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I might consider a trade for Drouin involving Dougie Hamilton.
Old 04-29-2017, 02:49 AM   #3367
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't see a deal to be had there. If Calgary wants to take the next step, you don't strip your D and add yet another left winger. Drouin playing on the 3rd line is a pretty dumb trade if it meant parting with a #1 or #2 defenseman.

Taylor Hall was an established top winger in his position for multiple seasons and was only able to garner Adam Larsson. I don't think Yzerman is going to get what he wants. It would be different if Drouin was a #1 centre.

Last edited by MarkGio; 04-29-2017 at 02:53 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2017, 02:55 AM   #3368
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why are people still naive enough to think that an offer sheet the other team won't match is a good idea? They always turn into terrible contracts.
Old 04-29-2017, 03:07 AM   #3369
AT77
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I don't see a deal to be had there. If Calgary wants to take the next step, you don't strip your D and add yet another left winger. Drouin playing on the 3rd line is a pretty dumb trade if it meant parting with a #1 or #2 defenseman.

Taylor Hall was an established top winger in his position for multiple seasons and was only able to garner Adam Larsson. I don't think Yzerman is going to get what he wants. It would be different if Drouin was a #1 centre.
Yeah, if Drouin can make the switch to RW on a future 2nd line with Tkachuk, it would be interesting but still not for Hamilton. Hamilton was the 4th highest scoring Canadian defenseman this year and the 9th highest scoring overall defenseman regardless of nationality. He may not be the best defensively, but even high quality, offensive defenseman like him are hard to find. We were lucky enough to get him from Boston, there's no way we should let a player like that go. Hamilton as our top offensive D and Gio and Brodie as our two top two-way D is an embarrassment of riches on the back end, I don't think we should break that up at all.

I think we can all agree that we need to address the following areas:

#1 Goalie
Top 6 RW
4th Defenseman

I think Treliving can get this done without breaking up our core group of players. He is a proactive GM and will work something out through free-agency (#1 goalie and 4th defenseman) and draft pick trades (top 6 RW).

Last edited by AT77; 04-29-2017 at 03:10 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AT77 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2017, 06:46 AM   #3370
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
Flames are full of playmakers. Let's see.. there's Gaudreau, and.... wait... is that it?

Flames could definitely use a guy like Drouin. Versteeg is a good playmaker, but then it falls off. Backlund isn't that great a playmaker - he just drives possession like nobody does. Ditto on Frolik. Tkachuk is a a bit of both, but I wouldn't call him a playmaker. Monahan is a shooter (underrated passer, but mostly a shooter). Ferland a shooter. Bennett is more of a shooter. I would say Drouin would fit really nicely on the Flames.

Tampa had Drouin play centre his last season in Halifax, so he could fill a couple of positions if necessary.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:08 AM   #3371
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's reasonable to think Stone will resign with us. I also think it's a reasonable thought that the Flames could snag Alzner in the offseason who formally played two years with the hitmen and Stone and 4 years total in Calgary.

That makes Brodie a very good trading chip IMO and a Brodie + 1st + prospect for Drouin makes a ton of sense.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Tkachuk
Drouin - Backlund - Frolik
Jankowski - Bennett - Versteeg
Ferland - Lazar - Hathaway
Bouma, Hamilton

Giordano - Hamilton
Alzner - Stone
Bartkowski - Andersson

Fleury
Johnson

This is what I hope to see.

Bye to Wideman, Engelland, Brouwer, Chiasson, Stajan, Brodie, 1st, prospect

Hi to Stone, Alzner, Jankowski, Drouin, Lazar, Hathaway, Bartkowski, Fleury
Old 04-29-2017, 09:20 AM   #3372
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

No to trading Brodie. Just no, especially with our first for Drouin... HUGE overpayment.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:20 AM   #3373
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'm crazy, I don't want Drouin on the Flames. I feel the Flames have enough skilled playmakers in their top six.

I want trigger man for Monny and Johnny, someone like Kovalchuk. Doesn't have to be Kovalchuk, but a player mimicking Kovalchuks skillset. A RS proven trigger man.
I agree, the Flames core is solid and I don't think it needs tweaking. Drouin would just be another small winger.

The Flames need size. Big guys who can play.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:23 AM   #3374
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
No to trading Brodie. Just no, especially with our first for Drouin... HUGE overpayment.
I suspect Brodie would get you Drouin without adding. Whether you'd want to make that move is another matter.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:27 AM   #3375
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
A Drouin for tanev deal makes a lot of sense for both teams as a baseline

Canucks would have to add a bit I think

I'm a Tanev fan, would love to have him to pair with Brodie to be honest, but I doubt an oft injured defensive Dman gets you a budding top 6 forward like Drouin.

So yeah, Canucks definitely add IMO.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:30 AM   #3376
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, I love Brodie, but I would trade him for Drouin. The Bolts don't even look at that offer though.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:31 AM   #3377
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Sorry, I love Brodie, but I would trade him for Drouin. The Bolts don't even look at that offer though.
lol, gimme a break
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2017, 10:36 AM   #3378
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
lol, gimme a break
Great contribution, as usual.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:42 AM   #3379
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Great contribution, as usual.
As usual? I rarely do the one liner thing, but what you wrote was completely ridiculous. Sorry

I contribute just fine, thanks.

Brodie is a top pairing NHL defenseman in his prime signed to a sweet heart deal, and he's been that for 3-4 seasons now proving he's not a flash in the pan.

Yet you dismiss him in a heartbeat saying Tampa wouldn't even look at that offer?

Couldn't disagree more.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:50 AM   #3380
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I think the issue with trading to Tampa is that they can't or won't take salary back due to their own issues.
Closed Thread