Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-13-2017, 07:30 PM   #381
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_Matt View Post
Any suggestions for something that I can make for an office pot luck tomorrow? I would like to use cook sous vide as a few people are curious how it works.
Thanks
Maybe too late, but if you're willing to shell out a few bucks for the meat, make a rack of lamb or two from Costco - lamb popsicles are a good way to go.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:00 PM   #382
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
I have a question about this. Would you sous vide some chicken, store in the fridge/freezer and the finish it a few days later to make a quick supper when time is short?
You mean like a 70-90% cooked chicken that you can have sit on the pan while you cook veggies or something on the side? I've done this on the day of or a day earlier for items I keep in my fridge, but I haven't actually ended up having any available for more than a day or two max. I do this with steak as well.

As for freezing a partial cook, I haven't actually thought of doing this, but it sounds like it could work. I usually freeze it raw, then toss the entire bag into the sous vide for the cook time + 30 minutes while I prep other food/ do other activities. I assume if you cook it 80-90% then freeze it, you probably could attempt to sous vide thaw it over 20-30 minutes, then chuck it on a pan to make a fast(er) chicken. However, I would be concerned that the middle isn't properly thawed and I'd end up with some slightly raw chicken... Slice in half, back on the pan or a quick little ding in the microwave if that's the case I guess?

Fridge should be ok and easy to make sure it's properly cooked though IMO.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2017, 08:38 AM   #383
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Maybe too late, but if you're willing to shell out a few bucks for the meat, make a rack of lamb or two from Costco - lamb popsicles are a good way to go.
I will do this for the next one I think. Thanks
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:05 PM   #384
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

We did sous-vide cod again tonight because we were so happy with the results before.

This time it was awful. Make sure the cod is "good". Same store, same price, but when we opened it is smelled a little off. Should have stopped there. Sous vide can't fix bad fish. The fish was not rotten or anything it just wasn't fresh and not firm enough.

Last edited by Kjesse; 02-14-2017 at 07:13 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:51 AM   #385
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
You mean like a 70-90% cooked chicken that you can have sit on the pan while you cook veggies or something on the side? I've done this on the day of or a day earlier for items I keep in my fridge, but I haven't actually ended up having any available for more than a day or two max. I do this with steak as well.

As for freezing a partial cook, I haven't actually thought of doing this, but it sounds like it could work. I usually freeze it raw, then toss the entire bag into the sous vide for the cook time + 30 minutes while I prep other food/ do other activities. I assume if you cook it 80-90% then freeze it, you probably could attempt to sous vide thaw it over 20-30 minutes, then chuck it on a pan to make a fast(er) chicken. However, I would be concerned that the middle isn't properly thawed and I'd end up with some slightly raw chicken... Slice in half, back on the pan or a quick little ding in the microwave if that's the case I guess?

Fridge should be ok and easy to make sure it's properly cooked though IMO.
I was thinking of cooking some Chicken on Sunday 99% of the way and then finish cooking it in the next few days. . Like most families, the evenings are very busy and thought this might be a good way to get a quick meal done during the week. I may try it but don;t want to poison my family haha.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:54 AM   #386
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I'd be leery of doing a partial cook.

I often pre-cook steak and chicken for use during the week. I usually sous-vide a little lower than I normally would (ie steak rare instead of medium rare), throw the bag in the fridge when it's done, then reheat/sear when I go to eat it.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2017, 11:58 AM   #387
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would completely cook it at the lowest possible temperature. Something like 136 degrees for 2 hours, maybe a degree warmer or 30 minutes longer to be safe. I wouldn't partial cook it because that kind of defeats the purpose of killing the bacteria. That way the meat is safe but you won't overcook it when re-heating.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #388
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
I was thinking of cooking some Chicken on Sunday 99% of the way and then finish cooking it in the next few days. . Like most families, the evenings are very busy and thought this might be a good way to get a quick meal done during the week. I may try it but don;t want to poison my family haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
I would completely cook it at the lowest possible temperature. Something like 136 degrees for 2 hours, maybe a degree warmer or 30 minutes longer to be safe. I wouldn't partial cook it because that kind of defeats the purpose of killing the bacteria. That way the meat is safe but you won't overcook it when re-heating.
Sorry, very bad wording on my part. When I say 70-90% I actually mean it would be cooked reasonably close to bacteria dead/ability to cook without overcooking it.

Jack's explanation is what I do with chicken and pork. I drop it 5-10 degrees and let it run its course for a longer time before tossing it into the fridge. Sometimes, it's still a little bit bloody inside, especially if there's some type of bone or cartilage involved. I have never finished off with raw chicken or pork, but definitely I've seen lots of red blood inside after a sous vide cook. I have often contemplated just letting it run on the regular recipes due to the blood I find inside or a bright red bone.

Most of my research generally says that the meat should be close to bacteria/germ free, but I can't get past it in my own head, so I'll throw things into the microwave to make the inside look a "nice" maroon before consumption.

Beef I allow it to be much less cooked which gives me more options when I cook it. (Stir fry, steak, roast etc.) I've taken beef that was partially sous vided and cut cubes for stir fry on occasion if I suddenly lose my steak craving. I've also sliced it thinly for soups/stews/wraps as well.

I generally like to get a proper cooking into the meat (a bit more than a sear, less than cooking from raw) because I kept feeling like I was tasting a very faint slightly rancid meat taste when I was cooking the meat completely sous vide and only putting in a basic sear into the meat. Thus yes, on occasion I'll use a lower temperature so that when I put my proper "cook" into the meat, it won't be overdone. Usually, I cook it at a rate that makes me feel the meat would be reasonably safe to consume and just needs slightly more than just "warming up" when I cook to be properly cooked.

Last edited by DoubleF; 02-15-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #389
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Made a tenderloin roast on Saturday. Turned out perfect. 133 F for 2 hours, then 30 seconds a side with oil/butter/rosemary/thyme on my Lodge cast iron. She flared up good, but it left a great crust. Delicious!

OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2017, 06:37 PM   #390
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Has anyone ever done something like butter chicken sous vide?

Thoughts?
Old 03-13-2017, 11:46 AM   #391
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post

Thoughts?
Just do a breast or parts whole then cut up and toss in sauce for a few minutes. Throw a bit of sauce in the bag as it will cook marinate?

I have posted fried chicken here before. It is amazing. So I would suppose it would turn out similar? Ex: whole piece cook then deep fry/sauce.

Or just google it, I am sure it has been done before. Chef Steps is my favorite source.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:30 PM   #392
me_dennis
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post

Thoughts?
Out of curiosity, what benefit would sous vide have for butter chicken?
Are you just looking for more tender chicken? If this is the case, then as OldDutch posted, you could cook the chicken sous vide, then add it in the sauce after, but this seems like more effort than it's worth.

Or are you planning to put everything in a bag and "set it and forget it"? If that's the case, a crock pot or instapot would probably be the better way to go.
me_dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:31 PM   #393
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

I find that long cooks of chicken in a crock pot end up with them being over cooked. I was figuring that I'd do the chicken sous vide with some sauce and then add to a larger sauce and veg mix.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:26 PM   #394
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

On a different note, sous vide really works great for brussell sprouts.
Put them in a bag right from the freezer with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper.
1 hour at 183 degrees
Leave them in, turn down the temperature and do your meat.
After you sear the meat keep the pan smokin hot, pour in the sprouts and toss them a bit to char the outside. They turn out tender and juicy. Only problem is that they really want to float so I use a pot lid to hold them under the water.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:02 AM   #395
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I did butter chicken and it was a bit odd... the chicken was delicious, but the texture was tender to the point that I found it almost off-putting. It's probably because I'm just used to the chicken in that dish having a bit of a bite to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
On a different note, sous vide really works great for brussell sprouts.
Put them in a bag right from the freezer with a little bit of olive oil, salt and pepper.
1 hour at 183 degrees
Leave them in, turn down the temperature and do your meat.
After you sear the meat keep the pan smokin hot, pour in the sprouts and toss them a bit to char the outside. They turn out tender and juicy. Only problem is that they really want to float so I use a pot lid to hold them under the water.
I'm debating buying a rack for this reason alone. For me the water displacement method in a ziplock + alligator clip is all I need for most things. Veggies are a different beast and I wrestle with them constantly.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 10:55 AM   #396
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I did butter chicken and it was a bit odd... the chicken was delicious, but the texture was tender to the point that I found it almost off-putting. It's probably because I'm just used to the chicken in that dish having a bit of a bite to it.

I'm debating buying a rack for this reason alone. For me the water displacement method in a ziplock + alligator clip is all I need for most things. Veggies are a different beast and I wrestle with them constantly.
I wouldn't suggest a metal rack. FYI, metal racks will rust. Mine did and I still sent it back to Amazon. The rack does help to keep the food floating sideways, but it doesn't completely keep it from floating. Metal racks are like $20 each. Not cheap.

I do have a crazy idea though... A heavy (enough) floating object capable of keeping the bag down, but doesn't sink.

My personal idea (I haven't seen this idea on any sites, and I haven't needed this option for my cooks because I don't sous vide floaty things) would be to get some cheap or old wood board/trivet/foam that's "heavy enough" cutting slots for the ziploc and sous vide. The theory is similar to trying to ascend in a swimming pool under a foam mat.

I was sorta envisioning something like the above made out of those gardening foam knee pads or those interlocking foam floor tiles but the the shape of the container with another hole for the sous vide. Not sure if you'd need multi layers or if a single layer is enough. Bag top(s) comes out of hole. I am not sure if the bouyancy of the veggies > weight/surface tension of the foam though due to the holes that are required. Wood probably would be heavy enough to keep veggies down though, but may run into issues with durability. Design wise, it would be similar to the lids on some of the sous vide set ups, but inside the container and on top of the water instead of over the container.

Idea wise, it shouldn't be heavy enough to sink which sometimes still doesn't successfully keep all the food under water. I'm hoping it would be a cost effective way to keep the bags under water at exactly the water level. I'm guessing the sous vide hole needs to be slightly hexagon or octagon so that you can't run into a situation where the foam covers the holes if the water level is low enough?

Thoughts as to whether this would work or whether if it would completely fail?

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-14-2017 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:01 AM   #397
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the verdict as a time saving device for working couples? Can food be safely left in the water bath and then activated via wi-fi at 3:00?

A couple of sites have said leave the steak in with some ice cubes when you leave in the morning. Not sure if this is food safe....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:12 AM   #398
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
What's the verdict as a time saving device for working couples? Can food be safely left in the water bath and then activated via wi-fi at 3:00?

A couple of sites have said leave the steak in with some ice cubes when you leave in the morning. Not sure if this is food safe....
It would be food safe if you make sure to turn on the machine before the water reaches about 6C
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 01:39 PM   #399
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ok, got an Anova bluetooth unit this week and cooked an Outside Round roast for around 18 hours 2 131 degrees- Was nice and tender but I wasn't thrilled with the outside texture- I let it rest for 20 minutes and seared it in butter/ oil in my cast iron pan to finish it off- any suggestions on doing beef roasts? Is it best to pre-sear and then sous vide it or do the opposite? What should I try next??
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aaronck For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2017, 05:42 PM   #400
Kerplunk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
Ok, got an Anova bluetooth unit this week and cooked an Outside Round roast for around 18 hours 2 131 degrees- Was nice and tender but I wasn't thrilled with the outside texture- I let it rest for 20 minutes and seared it in butter/ oil in my cast iron pan to finish it off- any suggestions on doing beef roasts? Is it best to pre-sear and then sous vide it or do the opposite? What should I try next??
If you are just aiming for a different (crispier?) texture, I found that a pre-sear didn't really give that at all (the one I pre-seared came out of the bag with about the same texture as one I didn't). It did, however, seem to impart a slightly different flavour to the outside of the roast after cooking...might have been my imagination though.

For searing I have found that you need to pat down the outside of the meat really well in order to get it to sear correctly. I usually also add additional seasoning/rub right before searing it the second time. You could also throw the bag into a bowl of ice instead of just letting it cool in the air; this should let you sear it a bit longer.

Note: I used the broiler in my oven rather than a pan...not sure what the temperature difference is between the two, which might affect things as well.
Kerplunk is offline   Reply With Quote