Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2017, 12:32 PM   #81
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am actually wearing a nice pair of slim-fit, high-rise chinos with loafers/no socks today. You can all suck it. I look great.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #82
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
LOL at all the hate for fashion. If you dont like, dont wear it.
But man theres so many men in downtown Calgary that wear cheap suits or even worse cheap black slacks with a dress shirt, no tie, and scuffed up pleather dress shoes and that their idea of dressing up.

End of the day, fashion changes and trends come and go. If you dont like a trend, dont worry it will be gone soon enough. Then there will likely be another trend you will not understand and be grumpy about.
The trend you described is only beaten by the Calgary bedazzled crowd. Jeans with too much stitching, and a tight sports coat seems to be perpetually "in."
Old 04-28-2017, 12:37 PM   #83
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I am actually wearing a nice pair of slim-fit, high-rise chinos with loafers/no socks today. You can all suck it. I look great.
Truly sockless? Or are you cheating with no-show socks?
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #84
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Truly sockless? Or are you cheating with no-show socks?
Truly sockless. I actually didn't intend for this to happen.
Old 04-28-2017, 12:42 PM   #85
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It really only works with skinny and fit men. ...
Those bastards can get away with anything...
Old 04-28-2017, 12:52 PM   #86
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

So are stripey socks done already then? Or is the no socks look more of a spring/summer thing? Going from super fancy, gaudy socks to now no socks seems like quite the abrupt change for dressy fashion trends
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 12:57 PM   #87
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
So are stripey socks done already then? Or is the no socks look more of a spring/summer thing? Going from super fancy, gaudy socks to now no socks seems like quite the abrupt change for dressy fashion trends
Happy Feet was a terrible thing, and it afflicted men everywhere.

That said, I like a nice pair of socks.

https://shopnorthamerican.com/collections/anonymousism
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 01:09 PM   #88
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy Socks are horrible and not well-made. But there are lots of beautiful bright-coloured socks. Neiman Marcus has a great selection of high-quality Italian-made socks.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:21 PM   #89
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Happy Socks are horrible and not well-made. But there are lots of beautiful bright-coloured socks. Neiman Marcus has a great selection of high-quality Italian-made socks.
Disagree. I've been wearing Happy Socks for many years. I haven't had even one pair wear out. They are made well, keep their shape, don't pill, and I haven't put a hole in one yet. I find Tie Bar products to wear out much quicker, and have thrown a few pairs of them out after they developed holes. I have some Marcoliani Milano socks from Harry Rosen. They are clearly a better sock than Happy Socks, but I'd rather have 4-5 pairs of Happy Socks, bought on sale, than one pair of Milano socks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 02:26 PM   #90
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
LOL at all the hate for fashion. If you dont like, dont wear it.
But man theres so many men in downtown Calgary that wear cheap suits or even worse cheap black slacks with a dress shirt, no tie, and scuffed up pleather dress shoes and that their idea of dressing up.

End of the day, fashion changes and trends come and go. If you dont like a trend, dont worry it will be gone soon enough. Then there will likely be another trend you will not understand and be grumpy about.
The only thing that is worse is people who judge others for how they dress.

How pathetic can your life be?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:33 PM   #91
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Agreed. And purposely wearing pants that are 2 inches too short to show off your ankle and the fact you have no socks on. WTF is that all about?
It depends where you think pants should stop. Suits in the 90s were baggy, and many were cuffed at the bottom. There was a huge break in the bottom of the pants. There are many people that still wear the same style of pants as the 90s, maybe without the cuff. They bunch at the bottom, and could likely be 2-6 inches shorter.

I wear my dress/suit pants so they stop right above the tops of my shoes. There are many Italian brands of suits that want this even shorter. My salesman at Harry Rosen is much more fashion forward than I am, and he subscribes to this belief. When I was in Italy a few years ago I saw many guys wearing their pants this short. It's not for me, and it feels like capri pants.

I always wear full length socks with dress/suit pants. They have some colour/pattern in them. I will never wear plain black/blue/brown socks in dress clothes. I will always wear socks with shoes. I never wear socks with sandals, flip flops, or at my own home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 04:30 PM   #92
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

r/malefashionadvice is a decent source for beginners with an interest in clothing and not sure where to start. Fit pics help you get a grasp on what you like/don't like. Belt questions, sock questions, etc. Better place than CP to ask advice on clothing, I would imagine.

You can wear whatever you want, but I think it is important to dress with intention. Whether that means a 3 piece suit or leather jacket or gimp suit doesn't really matter. Full break, no break, pleats, no pleats, etc is personal preference - but hopefully whatever you end up with is something you chose and something you like. Something you feel comfortable and confident in. If that means jeans and a hoodie - right on.

How much of communication is non-verbal? 90%? The clothes you put on your body are a huge part of that. When you decide what to wear in the morning, you are deciding on what signal you would like to broadcast to the world once you step out the door.

Anti-fashion is a fashion. Those staunchly against trends are participating in their own kind of fashion, whether they realize it or not. Akin to an passionate atheist in a discussion of religion.

I try (with varying degrees of success) not to judge those by what they wear. But in my opinion, the poorest dressers are those with vast resources, unconcerned with the question of whether or not they like a thing enough to spend actually money on it. Unable to mix high and low. These people derive much less pleasure from clothing than the kid who saved up for Jordans or the skateboarder who retires a pair of busted sk8 hi's before buying an identical pair, gleaming white, waiting to be broken in.

I would argue that someone with an interest in clothing is generally more accepting of appearances than someone without one. Google Rick Owens and tell me if you think it is cool or stupid. In an ideal world, fashion is rather inclusive, though it often appears otherwise.

Suits are easy, formulaic. Everything else is the fun part.

Last edited by sun; 04-28-2017 at 04:32 PM.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sun For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 08:10 AM   #93
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
The only thing that is worse is people who judge others for how they dress.

How pathetic can your life be?
So you must be your typical Walmart Saturday shopper, who really doesn't give a flying #### about their appearance or what anyone thinks? Let me guess, pajama pants, stained T-shirt, and a hoodie full of dog hair. Am I right?

It truly disgusts me how unkempt and disgusting our society has become. It didn't matter how rich or poor people were, up until the 1960's people always attempted to look good in public. Even poor paperboys had a nice vest, pants and a hat. People wouldn't be caught dead in public looking like trash. Today? Hit up the people of Walmart for a selection of the worlds finest fashion. What happened? Where did everything go wrong? What is wrong with demanding that people take a little pride in themselves?
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Familia For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 03:06 PM   #94
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think I've worn dress pants in 10 years, does that make me trashy and unkempt?
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 04:11 PM   #95
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
So you must be your typical Walmart Saturday shopper, who really doesn't give a flying #### about their appearance or what anyone thinks? Let me guess, pajama pants, stained T-shirt, and a hoodie full of dog hair. Am I right?

It truly disgusts me how unkempt and disgusting our society has become. It didn't matter how rich or poor people were, up until the 1960's people always attempted to look good in public. Even poor paperboys had a nice vest, pants and a hat. People wouldn't be caught dead in public looking like trash. Today? Hit up the people of Walmart for a selection of the worlds finest fashion. What happened? Where did everything go wrong? What is wrong with demanding that people take a little pride in themselves?
I honestly don't understand why it should matter to you how somebody else is dressed at a Walmart or a supermarket. As long as they're not breaking any laws (i.e., walking around naked), who gives a flying ****?
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snootchiebootchies For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 04:14 PM   #96
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
I honestly don't understand why it should matter to you how somebody else is dressed at a Walmart or a supermarket. As long as they're not breaking any laws (i.e., walking around naked), who gives a flying ****?
Do you like litter around the city? There is no real affect to having it everywhere it just isn't very nice. In the same way looking at people who don't meet a basic level of cleanliness and appearance isn't plesent.

I'm not saying to dress up and I certainly am not fashionable, but I do think a little effort to be presentable when you appear in public is a good thing
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 04:21 PM   #97
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Do you like litter around the city? There is no real affect to having it everywhere it just isn't very nice. In the same way looking at people who don't meet a basic level of cleanliness and appearance isn't plesent.

I'm not saying to dress up and I certainly am not fashionable, but I do think a little effort to be presentable when you appear in public is a good thing
But how is littering equivalent? Littering is against the law. So as long as nobody is breaking the law (e.g., walking around naked), why should anyone care how somebody else is dressed?
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:22 PM   #98
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think referencing the people of Walmart when ranting about fashion actually serves one's position at all. Just sayin'.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2017, 04:35 PM   #99
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by snootchiebootchies View Post
But how is littering equivalent? Littering is against the law. So as long as nobody is breaking the law (e.g., walking around naked), why should anyone care how somebody else is dressed?
I really should just repost my previous post here as you didn't address it. The reason to get mad at people who litter isn't because it's against the law. It's because it makes the environment I live in less nice. This is the same affect with people who put no care into their appearance.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:44 PM   #100
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

I don't really see the connection.

If I go to the park and there is rotting garbage everywhere this would obviously ruin it for me.

If I go to the park and I see a bunch of guys wearing flipflops, shorts and hoodies I don't see how that would be a problem.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote