Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2017, 01:59 PM   #2041
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Is this the season we get to find out what happened to Gendry?
He's still paddling by hand to Essos and will show up totally ripped and ready to kick ass.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 11:11 AM   #2042
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Old 04-07-2017, 02:42 PM   #2043
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

I really wish I hadn't started watching this show, and just waited for all the seasons to be released so that I could start watching from the beginning and crush it over a couple months.

There has been so much distance and time between series 2 to present, for example, that I find it really difficult to remember all the little backstories and nuance.

That would be my biggest complaint of this show, way too long between releasing seasons. By the time this airs, it'll have been what, like 15-18 months? And it's so intricate with so much going on, it's so tough to remember what the #### is happening.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 02:49 PM   #2044
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I really wish I hadn't started watching this show, and just waited for all the seasons to be released so that I could start watching from the beginning and crush it over a couple months.

There has been so much distance and time between series 2 to present, for example, that I find it really difficult to remember all the little backstories and nuance.

That would be my biggest complaint of this show, way too long between releasing seasons. By the time this airs, it'll have been what, like 15-18 months? And it's so intricate with so much going on, it's so tough to remember what the #### is happening.
You could always re-watch it from the start.

I've been meaning to myself, but I'm trying to talk my wife into watching it with me.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #2045
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

As someone who has been reading the books since the beginning... you have no idea. They have ten times as many characters, far more sub-plots, and there's 3 to 7 years between each book. Martin will mention a character that was last referenced thousands of pages and a decade previously, and you're supposed to know who they are.

Oh yeah, Gerald Gower. I'd wondered what he'd been up to since Davos sent him and Edric Storm off to Dragonstone in a Storm of Swords... 1853 pages and 11 years ago.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2017, 03:07 PM   #2046
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

I've been meaning to myself, but I'm trying to talk my wife into watching it with me.
Haha! Hey man, go for it. My wife started GoT at season 4.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2017, 03:39 PM   #2047
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

My wife refers to Game of Thrones as her favorite nap time. It's also the title of our sex tape.

Old 04-07-2017, 09:54 PM   #2048
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

Re-watching it is a must, you pick up so much more. You don't realize how many important characters are in that first episode until a re-watch.

Quote:
This has only been a problem with the upcoming season. Season seven has the longest break with 13 months between. Every other season has had roughly 8 months. That's pretty standard in todays 10 episode a season world.

The long break this year is due to pushing back filming to winter months since Winter has arrived in Westeros.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 02:32 PM   #2049
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

So my sweet Mom just sent me a text excitedly telling me that she’s going to start a Game of Thrones marathon today because my brothers and I are always talking about how great it is. She wants to be caught up for July so she can watch it with us. At first I was like “Wow Mom, that’s great! You’re really going to enjoy….” Then I got thinking about everything she’s in for. This is a woman who cries her heart out when any minor character dies in TWD. So I tried to tell her that this show may have some happenings that will really shock and disturb her, without giving anything away. She just responded: “Don’t worry, I love a good twist!”. Oh Mom, you have no idea.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:34 PM   #2050
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
So my sweet Mom just sent me a text excitedly telling me that she’s going to start a Game of Thrones marathon today because my brothers and I are always talking about how great it is. She wants to be caught up for July so she can watch it with us. At first I was like “Wow Mom, that’s great! You’re really going to enjoy….” Then I got thinking about everything she’s in for. This is a woman who cries her heart out when any minor character dies in TWD. So I tried to tell her that this show may have some happenings that will really shock and disturb her, without giving anything away. She just responded: “Don’t worry, I love a good twist!”. Oh Mom, you have no idea.
Yeah....turn your phone off.

You never know though, when my wife got into it I was surprised because it seemed like the last thing she'd enjoy, but then again, I thought the same thing about myself.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:47 PM   #2051
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Watching sex scenes with your Mom should be a lot of fun too.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #2052
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Oh Mom, you have no idea.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:09 PM   #2053
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Sequels/prequels are closer to becoming a reality. HBO announces they have hired 4 writers to explore different time periods of the Game of Thrones universe and submit scripts for spin offs:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/04/medi...hbo/index.html

No guarantee that a series actually comes out of it. And not really a surprise as HBO is obviously not going to let this cash cow just die without milking every drop.

Weiss and Benioff (showrunners for the main series) and Martin will be attached as executive producers.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2017, 09:19 PM   #2054
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Duh.

Now if only they could release all the episodes at once....
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:46 AM   #2055
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Sequels/prequels are closer to becoming a reality. HBO announces they have hired 4 writers to explore different time periods of the Game of Thrones universe and submit scripts for spin offs:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/04/medi...hbo/index.html
Spin-offs I could see working:

The Conquest of Westeros. Obvious choice. The Seven Kingdoms before they were ever united. Epic scope. Big stakes. Dragons.

The Broken King. The chaotic reign of Aegon III, too young to control his regents, which included as much intrigue and backstabbing as Game of Thrones itself.

The War of the Ninepenny Kings. Featuring a young Barristan Selmy. Jaehaerys II could be an interesting character as well - young and sickly, but wise king.

Tales of the Chain. Each season covers some kind of intrigue or mystery surrounding a different Maester and the realm he's assigned to (a la Fargo).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Weiss and Benioff (showrunners for the main series) and Martin will be attached as executive producers.
And the article says Martin will write scripts as well. Just what we need, another project for Martin to spend his ever-dwindling energy on. You gotta hand it to the guy - he may be the all-time greatest procrastinator in the history of literature.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:01 PM   #2056
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Duh.

Now if only they could release all the episodes at once....
I'm inclined to disagree. I like the weekly episodes. If gives you a chance to watch the episode, analyze it, think about it, re-watch it for the minor details. Discuss, theorize, and really get involved with the show.

I find shows where episodes are released all at once, you lose that. You steam through all the episodes and talk about the season as a whole but you lose the subtlety.

But that's just me (there is a major shift to all episodes at once, which demonstrates that there is a demand for both, but I think all at once is a way to cover up the weaknesses of shows, but shows like Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul and Game of Thrones are so strong that week to week builds the anticipation and makes them better.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2017, 09:33 PM   #2057
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Well I agree that it builds anticipation, but it is all about giving people the choice. Netflix has proven people love to binge. They wouldn't be putting out every episode of the new House of Cards if they didn't think it got more people to sign up to Netflix.

I just think forcing people to wait 12 weeks to watch 5 hours of TV is a strange way to think about providing entertainment.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:20 AM   #2058
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I like binging shows as much as the next person. I do find there's much less anticipation. There's also a lot longer to wait between seasons. Killing a show that would typically take 3 months to watch in one weekend makes for a long wait.

This season of GoT would be worse because they delayed production for filming in the winter.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:01 AM   #2059
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Well I agree that it builds anticipation, but it is all about giving people the choice. Netflix has proven people love to binge. They wouldn't be putting out every episode of the new House of Cards if they didn't think it got more people to sign up to Netflix.

I just think forcing people to wait 12 weeks to watch 5 hours of TV is a strange way to think about providing entertainment.
Don't you fast forward through the slow parts of the show anyway?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:00 AM   #2060
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ermagherd

Last edited by Bigtime; 05-24-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post: