Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2013, 12:16 PM   #61
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
They have? Wait I think you mean overall, not just this shortened season. Carry on.
Sorry, should have clarified. They have played horribly for the last 2-3 years. Now they look great. However, I think some of that may be due to the Flames being near the very bottom of the league in GA/G. If JBo putting up .5+PPG for 20 games is enough to increase his value to a 1st round pick +, then the Flames seriously need to consider taking that and running.

Additionally, there are several teams in dire need of centre depth. A few months ago, people were talking about Stajan as a buyout candidate. If he gets you a 2nd rounder, you take that and run.

I don't think either player are part of the long term plan. Plus trading them opens up about 10 mil in cap space. A lot can be done with that in the off season. Surely we can, at the very least, find equivalent replacements.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2013, 01:42 PM   #62
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Sorry, should have clarified. They have played horribly for the last 2-3 years. Now they look great. However, I think some of that may be due to the Flames being near the very bottom of the league in GA/G. If JBo putting up .5+PPG for 20 games is enough to increase his value to a 1st round pick +, then the Flames seriously need to consider taking that and running.

Additionally, there are several teams in dire need of centre depth. A few months ago, people were talking about Stajan as a buyout candidate. If he gets you a 2nd rounder, you take that and run.

I don't think either player are part of the long term plan. Plus trading them opens up about 10 mil in cap space. A lot can be done with that in the off season. Surely we can, at the very least, find equivalent replacements.

Agree with your base idea but other teams would just love to have 10M in cap space ..... instead of Bouwmeester and Stajan in order to hang on to their guys while reducing payroll by 6M in the 64M cap of 2013-14.

There will be a bunch of buyouts and salary dumps available for teams that have cap room.

Like Bill Clinton put it in getting Obama elected over Romney,....... The Flames need someone in management with Arithmetic skills.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #63
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its clear we need to be way out of it before we become sellers at the deadline. Even now people are saying things like we are "only 6 points out of a playoff spot" while ignoring the fact we are closer to being dead last in the western conference.

Right now, I would say a last place finish in the WC is more likely than an eighth place finish...but if we are in, say 11th, I'll bet this organization tries "going for it" and becomes buyers at the deadline

Don't have a lot of faith in this organization right now
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:07 PM   #64
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
At Nashville --- 1 game under 500 lost last 3 3-6-1 in last 10
At Columbus --- 1 game under .500 6-0-4 in last 10
Home to St.L --- 6 games over .500 6-4-0 in last 10
At Chicago -- 22 games over .500 8-2-0 in the last 10
home to Colorado 4 games under .500 (contender in the draft lottery)
home to Columbus
At Edmonton .500

7 games 5 games against team currently not in a playoff position.

This weak schedule is liable to give Flames management hope that the team has "gelled".

To me anything less than 10 pts out of the 14 shows they will not make the playoffs even if they were able to trade their 1013 1st pick and 3rd pick for Ryan O'Rielly or another #1 centre.

What will it take for Feaster to be a seller at the trade deadline?
Nashville (and Colorado) was the gimme game of the 7 ..... If they beat Nashville there would have been nothing to get excited about.

TOOOOOOOOOO Small and not physical enough
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:10 PM   #65
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the "red mile" needs to be changed to the green mile