Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2013, 01:16 PM   #21
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never ever thought I would say this, but if we're not sellers this deadline I think I'll take a break from watching the Flames for at least the rest of the season.

I've probably watched 90% of their games since Sutter took over, but I just can't keep watching this trainwreck for the rest of this season.

I know some might say good riddance, or say I'm not a true fan, and maybe that's true; but I just need to do something to get away from the consistent disappointment that is the Calgary Flames.
trackercowe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to trackercowe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 01:17 PM   #22
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igster View Post
Sure, but if Iginla wants to remain a Flame, why not help the team out by accepting a trade to a contender, help the Flames with prospects/picks, perhaps win a Cup and then come back and sign again with the Flames. No way the Flames turn him away if he comes back after this season.
Maybe he doesn't think the team he's going to is a contender? Alot can change in the season post trade deadline, and outside of a few teams in each conference, no one is coasting into the playoffs by April 3.
Maybe he doesn't want to leave?
Maybe he doesn't want to leave...and then come back? For various reasons.
Maybe he can't leave?
He doesn't really have to provide any reasoning to anyone.

Maybe the offer is so good because the pick is a conditional one that goes away if he doesn't sign there after the season?

All sorts of factors...this board seems resigned to the fact that he's gone, just beacuse there is interest and it should (could) provide a decent return for the future, and assume its all on ownership to trade him away.

I don't doubt there is reluctance from those in charge to let the franchise icon go (he is, like it or not) and I think only very specific circumstances/locations, and the timing etc being right, is Iginla open to going somewhere at all, 3 months or more.
IMO.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:21 PM   #23
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
As an owner, GM, president of this team:
Even if the Flames look out of it for this year,
Even if you get an offer that works or multiple decent offers,
Even if you resign and prepare yourself to the public, casual fan fallout of losing the most recognizeable Flame over the past decade and a half and first ballot HOF'er,
Even if you know what all this means going forward for the future of the franchise on and off the ice and the holes it creates in both,
Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Maybe he doesn't think the team he's going to is a contender? Alot can change in the season post trade deadline, and outside of a few teams in each conference, no one is coasting into the playoffs by April 3.
Maybe he doesn't want to leave?
Maybe he doesn't want to leave...and then come back? For various reasons.
Maybe he can't leave?
He doesn't really have to provide any reasoning to anyone.

Maybe the offer is so good because the pick is a conditional one that goes away if he doesn't sign there after the season?
Are you trying to write poetry? ;-)

Last edited by Clever_Iggy; 03-19-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #24
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever_Iggy View Post
Are you trying to write poetry? ;-)
Haiku

Trade Deadline is here
Will he waive or will he not
Tragic circumstance
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #25
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTech780 View Post
The schedule isn't all that weak as there is two back to backs in there. The first is on the road Nashville and then Columbs and the way Bobrovsky has played lately is going to make that game difficult.

The second back to back is first in Chicago and then go back home to play Colorado.

The last few years it seems like Calgary hasn't been all that great in the second games of back to backs.

Not counting the Flames there are 9 teams in the NHL that are not over .500..

The Flames have 5 of these games against these fellow weak sister teams..... other than getting a special game with Florida this is the easiest schedule that could be imagined. If any of the current playoff teams looked ahead for 7 games and played 2 contenders.... wow they would expect to harvest 10-12 points.

I am worried that the Flames go 4-2-1 and get 9 points out of 14 and consider this a huge accomplishment..... finally winning a 7 game segment.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #26
Lentulus Batiatus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I thought I signed up on CALGARYpuck? Apparently losing is now not only acceptable but encouraged by Flames fans? Pathetic.
Lentulus Batiatus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lentulus Batiatus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #27
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Going 4-3 in the seven games would leave the Flames needing 19-20 points in 14 games after the break. That would require going 10-4, or 9-3-2, or something like that, and that's just to get to 7th or 8th, maybe.

Going 5-2 would mean that the Flames would need to gain 17-18 points after the deadline, so 9-5, or 8-4-2

Going 6-1 would mean that the Flames would need 15-16 points after the deadline, so 8-6, or 7-5-2.

A good long winning streak at any point would put the Flames in pretty good shape, but for a team that has yet to win even three in a row.
You Need a Thneed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #28
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentulus Batiatus View Post
I thought I signed up on CALGARYpuck? Apparently losing is now not only acceptable but encouraged by Flames fans? Pathetic.
God I'm sick of this rhetoric. The losing is already happening. It should be plainly evident to everybody that this team is nowhere near good enough. It's also saddled with depreciating assets, some of whom are UFA or near-UFA. There's a logical course to take in such a situation and there's an emotional course to take. Choose your side.

It has nothing to do with wanting to lose. Some people can see beyond the next game on the ice and hope to bolster the organization's chances of winning in the future. There's a worthwhile debate about whether or not trading assets for futures achieves that.

But there shouldn't be any debate about what situation this team is in.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #29
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, this kind of poster.

I've been cheering for every Flames game this season. When the Flames were down a goal last night I wanted them to tie it up late in the third to force OT and even win.

But I am still capable of sitting back after the fact and examine what's best for them overall.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 01:43 PM   #30
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

As much as we talk about two weeks til the deadline and x amount of games, this road trip is going to decide if the Flames are selling or not.

Making deals for expensive players isn't going to take a few hours, it going to take a week if its done right.

I would expect that if the Flames lose in Columbus that the finger hovers inches over the trade button, and if they lose to Nashville it gets firmly pushed through the table.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 01:44 PM   #31
EddyBeers
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Give your upwards of 19 days experience on CALGARYpuck, please pontificate more on how pathetic these fans are.

If one has watched the Flames management for more than 19 days they would realize that there is little reason to think the Flames will do the right thing short of more and more losing. Most fans do not even want to lose for the draft pick, they want to lose so the morons who run this team do not let another year pass without doing what virtually every other franchise in the NHL would do, try to maximize assets.
EddyBeers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EddyBeers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 01:58 PM   #32
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

How noble you are
Saqe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 02:07 PM   #33
Lentulus Batiatus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyBeers View Post
Give your upwards of 19 days experience on CALGARYpuck, please pontificate more on how pathetic these fans are.

If one has watched the Flames management for more than 19 days they would realize that there is little reason to think the Flames will do the right thing short of more and more losing. Most fans do not even want to lose for the draft pick, they want to lose so the morons who run this team do not let another year pass without doing what virtually every other franchise in the NHL would do, try to maximize assets.
Aren't you the poster who still laments about how great a coach Brent was for this team and it's all the players fault he was never able to make the post season? Though so. That's anyone needs to know about you, never mind how pro-player idiotic you were through the entire lockout.

19 days a member here is all that matters to you though. Not all my experience around here prior to actually signing up. Not all my years watching hockey, cheering for my team and never, EVER, hoping they will suck. That's what's pathetic, those posting that this team should just lose on purpose game in and game out. If you want to reason that cheering for loses is so the "morons" in the upper offices get the message that's fine. You are still cheering for the team to lose. That is pathetic.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:09 PM   #34
Lentulus Batiatus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Oh, this kind of poster.

I've been cheering for every Flames game this season. When the Flames were down a goal last night I wanted them to tie it up late in the third to force OT and even win.

But I am still capable of sitting back after the fact and examine what's best for them overall.
So you agree cheering for the team to lose is pathetic then? I'm not sure what else you are trying to argue here other than to stick your nose in with a fly-by as you so often do.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #35
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Oh, this kind of poster.

Yup, I'm cheering for the Flames every game as well. However, to remain with even a fighting chance to make the playoffs, the Flames need to win 5 out of 7 before the deadline. I hope they do it, but it doesn't look likely.

If the Flames won out at this point they would get to 68 points. The playoff cutoff projects to be around 52-54 points. That means that Flames can only lose a maximum of 15 points or so from now until the end of the season. The Flames have to go roughly 14-7 or better to finish the season to make the playoffs, perhaps even better, and a record less than that almost certainly wouldn't get them in.
You Need a Thneed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #36
Gunkle
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I guess I must be missing the point....but what is the big 'goal' of making the playoffs? Whatever happened to winning the Cup as the goal?
We haven't made the playoffs in four seasons, our assets are deteriorating over time, and soon we will find that we haven't made the playoffs, and our assets are worth nothing.
We tried the quick re-build, we play musical chairs with coaches...do the responsible thing and trade Jarome.
The playoffs allow 16 teams out of the 30 in the league to continue on. We are a routinely worse than half the teams in the NHL.

Good medicine always tastes bad.
Gunkle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gunkle For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #37
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah, I'm pretty torn when watching Flames games these days. My mind, rationally, thinks its best for Flames to lose, but my heart won't allow it. I can't help but cheer for them to win, but after loses, it doesn't really sting that much since I know it's probably for the best.
The Yen Man is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #38
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Yah, I'm pretty torn when watching Flames games these days. My mind, rationally, thinks its best for Flames to lose, but my heart won't allow it. I can't help but cheer for them to win, but after loses, it doesn't really sting that much since I know it's probably for the best.
Exactly how I feel. Normally I would be upset for a little bit, depending on the team playing, circumstances etc.. but even last nights loss.. on the edge of my seat for that last minute in their zone. No goal, loud obscenity, TV shut off then went upstairs and grabbed my book, was over it in about 30 seconds.

It's actually kind of refreshing..
Old 03-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #39
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So you agree cheering for the team to lose is pathetic then? I'm not sure what else you are trying to argue here other than to stick your nose in with a fly-by as you so often do.
I think it's you that has target fixation. While you're making your one little point you're neglecting the fact that everyone here is hoping for the flames to become a contender. And that's only going to happen by getting maximum value for the assets they have right now.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:43 PM   #40
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Yah, I'm pretty torn when watching Flames games these days.
Same. I've even thought to myself, well it's probably better they lose this game and next few in a row as well. So I go to watch the game and when the Flames score, I'm like yes!!!! oh wait....
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote