Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2015, 09:33 AM   #1081
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Yup they do. So in your case the Marantz allows the "surround back" input to be assignable. Meaning you'd lose 7.1 capability, but you could set the surround back to act as Zone 2 front speakers, turn on both Zone 1 and 2 fronts, and it'd basically be a 5.1 setup with the fronts bi-amped. If that makes any sense.

So you'd take the metal strip out of your speakers (that's now connecting both negatives and positives together), plug one set of -/+ into "Front A" like they are now, plug in the other set of +/- into "Surround Back", then assign surround back as "Front A (or 2, depending on what Marantz calls it).
Okay cool. Thanks so much. I can't wait to change this stuff around. I'll report back. I don't mind losing 7.1. I've only been rocking 5.1 anyway.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:07 AM   #1082
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
lol, yeah. I got that stuff from A&B Sound in 1995 when I bought a NAD receiver. He told me it was like $15 a foot or something crazy. Don't worry, he threw it in because 'I seemed like a good guy.' Anyway, I've been carting it around for years, but I think it's time to get rid of it.
There is nothing wrong with the twisted wire (not worth $15/ft, though!). You could clean it up by using heat shrink and some Techflex, though. Using 4 x stranded 16 AWG gives you an equivalent 10AWG.

The theory is that the wires are twisted together in opposite directions in order to help reduce asymmetrical field interactions since the wires are not on either the inside or outside of the cable more than any other wire.

The theory also says it also helps to keep the inductance of the overall speaker cable at a minimum.

I make my own speaker cables this way, but I honestly don't notice any difference in audio quality. But, they do look sharp.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/Lo...peaker-Cables/
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2015, 11:35 AM   #1083
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
plug one set of -/+ into "Front A" like they are now, plug in the other set of +/- into "Surround Back", then assign surround back as "Front B (or 2, depending on what Marantz calls it).
Whoops. Typo. Surround back should be set to B or 2.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #1084
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Full disclosure: I am not a home theatre wiz having never really enjoyed the surround sound. At any rate, here are some of my comments:

For bi-amping: unless you bypass the speakers' internal crossover, you won't gain anything. Well, maybe a little. But not enough to make it worthwhile.

If you want to go the bi-amp route properly, you will need an electronic crossover between pre-amp and amp. You will need more cables (likely XLR). Ideally, your amps should be the exact same to avoid gain issues. More money, in short.

However, if I read you correctly and your main audio source is streaming audio from WWW, then this is way overkill.

I've read that Marantz HTRs sometimes peg their volume to -6dB for iPod/ Apple TV/internet and the like. Dunno if that is true or not or if that is a glitch in a small quantity.

Regardless of the 7007 specs, I'd still get separate amps. I run a tiny Marantz NR1403 but I have two Parasound HCA 1000s driving the fronts and centre (I only use 3.0 in my home theare set-up). Basically, I'm using the NR1403 as a preamp/processor and nothing else. I do not use it for two-channel stereo; I have a separate set-up for that.

If you want loud and thumping bass, get some Crown XLS 1500 amps. You get a lot of power/$$$ with those amps. I don't know what you paid for the 7007, but you could get an NR1403 and a boat load of power amps for the same dollar amount, I reckon.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #1085
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Full disclosure: I am not a home theatre wiz having never really enjoyed the surround sound. At any rate, here are some of my comments:

For bi-amping: unless you bypass the speakers' internal crossover, you won't gain anything. Well, maybe a little. But not enough to make it worthwhile.

If you want to go the bi-amp route properly, you will need an electronic crossover between pre-amp and amp. You will need more cables (likely XLR). Ideally, your amps should be the exact same to avoid gain issues. More money, in short.

However, if I read you correctly and your main audio source is streaming audio from WWW, then this is way overkill.

I've read that Marantz HTRs sometimes peg their volume to -6dB for iPod/ Apple TV/internet and the like. Dunno if that is true or not or if that is a glitch in a small quantity.

Regardless of the 7007 specs, I'd still get separate amps. I run a tiny Marantz NR1403 but I have two Parasound HCA 1000s driving the fronts and centre (I only use 3.0 in my home theare set-up). Basically, I'm using the NR1403 as a preamp/processor and nothing else. I do not use it for two-channel stereo; I have a separate set-up for that.

If you want loud and thumping bass, get some Crown XLS 1500 amps. You get a lot of power/$$$ with those amps. I don't know what you paid for the 7007, but you could get an NR1403 and a boat load of power amps for the same dollar amount, I reckon.
+1 to this whole post, well stated.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:24 PM   #1086
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Thought I'd share the finished product with you all.

http://i.imgur.com/eBHnoZT.jpg

7.1 audio goodness and the receiver/TV are fantastic.

My wife and her Dad surprised me for my birthday this week by putting the finishing touches on the room, including adding some shelving for my movie collection and building a cabinet for the electrical panel that was on the wall.

Tonight, once the kids are in bed, we play Until Dawn!
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2015, 01:00 PM   #1087
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have any experience with Kanto speakers? Was looking at the PSB Alpha 1 (powered speaker) for the computer, but LD has a similar pair of Kantos on sale right now. Curious about sound quality.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:11 PM   #1088
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey guys

I want to get my feet wet with this home theater stuff finally. I think I want a plug 'n play system out of the box, with all the components in one box. I don't think I have the expertise (nor the inclination to spend that much) on a system where I need to buy the receiver, woofer, speakers, cables all separately.

Inevitably, the question is what's my budget? Well, I don't know. What should my budget be for an all in one system?

The system will be used for movies and TV, and I suppose some PS4 gaming. I'm not uber competitive on console gaming, so I don't need some next gen stuff or anything. Since the PS4 (and PS3) play blurays, the system doesn't need a bluray player.

So basically if you were starting out, how would you start out? Stay away from the soundbar+woofer systems? Stay away from the Bose 1 speaker + woofer systems?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 03:42 PM   #1089
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
So basically if you were starting out, how would you start out? Stay away from the soundbar+woofer systems? Stay away from the Bose 1 speaker + woofer systems?
A) the nitpickey part. It's a sub-woofer. Not a woofer. The woofers are generally included in the tower or bookshelf speaker.

B) IMO stay away from the Home Theatre in a Box if you actually want sound quality or to be able to upgrade anything down the road. They're cheaper for a reason.

The better way (IMO) to get into it is buy a nice matched system, in which lots of places will have. You can go to Costco or London Drugs and get a receiver speaker combo that will be a step above a HTIB without the hassle because everything is picked for you.

Or, since I hammer these brands all the time, I'd take a look at the Deftech Pro-Cinema. One nice little package, mate it up with a cheap Denon, even a Yamaha or the like, and you've got an infinitely better system than a soundbar or an HTIB.

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/procinema-1000
Old 12-15-2015, 03:50 PM   #1090
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm just starting out.

Would this be considered a "matched" system instead of a HTiB?

http://www.onkyousa.com/Products/mod...urce=prodClass

Although it all comes in one package, it's got a receiver.
Old 12-15-2015, 04:01 PM   #1091
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Would this be considered a "matched"
system instead of a HTiB?

Although it all comes in one package, it's got a receiver.
Hey it's all good! That's more like what I was talking about (matched set isn't correct terminology I just wanted to decipher the difference between that and the basic HTIB).

Basically I would avoid anything that comes with speaker wires that are integrated to the unit, or a bluray/receiver combo.

Another example of what I meant (just picked a random one from Costco)
http://www.costco.ca/Yamaha%c2%ae-RX...100213468.html
Old 12-15-2015, 04:09 PM   #1092
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh ok cool. I think I'm on the right track now.

What's a good starting point budget wise? I live in the USA so we are talking US dollars.

I'm no sound snob, so what are some key, must have features that I should look for ?
Old 12-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #1093
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh ok cool. I think I'm on the right track now.

What's a good starting point budget wise? I live in the USA so we are talking US dollars.

I'm no sound snob, so what are some key, must have features that I should look for ?
I'm in the process of setting up my home theatre right now and after doing tons of research I settled on the Pioneer Andrew Jones bookshelf, floorstanding, and center channel speakers for my 7.1 setup (2 pairs of bookshelf speakers for side and rear, 2 floorstanding for the front speakers, and the center channel), which I will pair with a Klipsch 10" subwoofer that I already own.

Here's a review for the Pioneer speakers that pretty much says it's the best you can get at the $500 price point (these things are literally twice as expensive in Canada).

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/bes...peaker-system/

I'm not sure if you have a Fry's Electronics near you, but I've seen reports of a pair of these bookshelf speakers going on sales for as cheap as $50, and they generally retail for $139 in Canada.
Komskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 02:05 PM   #1094
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah there is a Fry's relatively close by to me. I love that store and there are certainly deals to be had there. The City of Industry Fry's is closest to me in case you see some random deal
Old 12-18-2015, 02:11 PM   #1095
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

The BenQ HT 1075 projector is on for $899 today on Amazon.ca. It's a highly regarded projector and I've been watching the price for a while, this is the lowest it's been in a year. With the weak Canadian dollar right now I'm not sure I'd expect it to go any lower any time soon.

http://www.amazon.ca/BenQ-HT1075-108...ords=benq+1075
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Komskies For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2015, 03:02 PM   #1096
verda13
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
The BenQ HT 1075 projector is on for $899 today on Amazon.ca. It's a highly regarded projector and I've been watching the price for a while, this is the lowest it's been in a year. With the weak Canadian dollar right now I'm not sure I'd expect it to go any lower any time soon.

http://www.amazon.ca/BenQ-HT1075-108...ords=benq+1075
I purchased that projector last Christmas, amazing investment. If anyone has any questions, let me know.
verda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to verda13 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2015, 09:33 AM   #1097
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by verda13 View Post
I purchased that projector last Christmas, amazing investment. If anyone has any questions, let me know.
How is yours mounted? I bought the projector last Friday and I need to go with a wall mount. I have a 106" screen so I figure I need about a 12' throw distance.
Old 12-22-2015, 09:52 AM   #1098
verda13
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
How is yours mounted? I bought the projector last Friday and I need to go with a wall mount. I have a 106" screen so I figure I need about a 12' throw distance.
I used the Benq ceiling mount. I was developing my basement and installed it (and ran wires) before finishing the ceiling.

The throw distance is adjustable to an extent using the zoom on the lens (which does not affect quality). Mine is 10' away from the screen and I can adjust from 92" - 120"

According to this tool, you can mount from 8'-10" to 11'-7"

Last edited by verda13; 12-22-2015 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-22-2015, 10:17 AM   #1099
Komskies
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by verda13 View Post
I used the Benq ceiling mount. I was developing my basement and installed it (and ran wires) before finishing the ceiling.

The throw distance is adjustable to an extent using the zoom on the lens (which does not affect quality). Mine is 10' away from the screen and I can adjust from 92" - 120"

According to this tool, you can mount from 8'-10" to 11'-7"
I'm setting it up in a 10' wide x 15' long room, and due to a bulkhead have to mount the screen about 13" from the end wall. That means with a max throw of 11'7" I'll need to find a wall mount that can get the lens 28" away from the wall.

I THINK this particular mount would work, but not 100% on that.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005...f_rd_i=desktop
Old 12-22-2015, 10:38 AM   #1100
verda13
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I'm setting it up in a 10' wide x 15' long room, and due to a bulkhead have to mount the screen about 13" from the end wall. That means with a max throw of 11'7" I'll need to find a wall mount that can get the lens 28" away from the wall.

I THINK this particular mount would work, but not 100% on that.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B005...f_rd_i=desktop
That's a tough one, I assume its too late to get a bigger screen? You could install a (deep) shelf to give yourself a way to adjust the location of the projector.