Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2014, 04:04 PM   #981
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm looking for recommendations for an inexpensive audio setup for an apartment living room. I am not an audiophile by any means but I like to be enveloped in surround sound. I used to have a 5.1 system but I was annoyed by the rear speaker wires as there are no baseboards to run wire under. It was a mess. I switched to a sound bar and was very unimpressed so I got rid of that.

Essentially I want surround sound for a laptop/Xbox that connects to my plasma. I would like to try wireless rear speakers , but I don't want the crappy blu ray/receiver all in one thing that HTIBs seem to all have. I've done a bit of googling but haven't had much luck yet.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:45 PM   #982
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live in an apartment and have a 5.1 system setup. I got a Pioneer receiver very similar to this:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...c78c360b9cen02

and small speakers by KEF (don't see them on the site anymore), but you could get something like this ($250 off until tomorrow!)

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...abf48f5484en02

Won't be wireless (wired sound is better anyways) but it'll be versatile, you can set up anything with it, and it won't be too overpowering for apartment life. Doesn't have to be expensive either, I got my stuff on boxing day for less than $500 all in.

I agree, stay away from HTIB they are no good, separate components are so much better.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 10-08-2014 at 05:47 PM.
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2014, 11:27 PM   #983
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I didn't realize decent amps were that inexpensive. Good to know. Also, I don't think I'll get a sub. I can't imagine it's too good for the neighbors.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 04:04 PM   #984
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default 4k warning - Potential early adopters beware

Public Service Announcement - be careful about buying a 4K (UHD) television. Some of them are not certified as 2.2 HDCP compliant.

What does this mean? - When new sources come out (eventually) such as 4k Bluray (late 2015), 4K AppleTv/Roku (for 4K netflix, probably late 2015 or 2016), 4K cable/sat (don't hold your breath for this one). They will have to be HDCP 2.2 compliant to pass the 4K to the television.

The key point is everything in the video transmission chain, the TV, the AV receiver etc. has to be 2.2 as well. So if your 2014 4K TV is not certified then you are SOL. This is a hardware solution, not a software solution. So there won't be an software update to fix this problem.

Having 2.0 HDMI by itself doesn't mean the TV will automatically 2.2 HDCP, they are two separate things.

Finally, even the 2014 TV's that are supposedly 2.2 HDCP might not work because current chipsets for 2.2 have lesser bandwidth capacity than the newer chipsets coming in 2015. My fear is that the new 4k Blurays will be built around the newer chips and not work properly for the 2014 tv with the older 2.2 chipset.

Having said all this, I think when the dusts settles, viewing a 4k Bluray on a 4k Television is going to be stunning. Not only the resolution will be better but (more importantly) the potential of increased colour gamut (24 bit) and the higher dynamic range (HDR) with make the picture absolutely stunning.

I have seen proper 4K at one of my distributors via Redray's 4K Ultra HD Media Player and it was jaw-dropping amazing. Really looking forward to this when the standard gets sorted out properly.

Last edited by cupofjoe; 01-17-2015 at 06:20 PM.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2015, 05:22 PM   #985
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

^This is a Good Post.

It's looking like proper 2.2 4K is about 9-18 months away (dependent on content availability) from being within the comfortable purchase zone in the 65" area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:54 PM   #986
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a quality in-home A/V installer? I have a bunch of stuff that needs to be done, and I think I need a bit of a long-term "big picture" solution from someone who knows what they are doing. I seem to remember there are some pros on CP, but Im not sure who they are (perhaps cupofjoe considering his post above, ha).

I have ceiling speakers on the main floor, but nothing hooked up to it (and all the wires come out in the basement and I have no idea what's what). I'd like to hook it up to my some network music solution (that works well with Macs), as well as be able to play music off my NAS. It would probably only be 1 zone, but I'm also looking to potentially do ceiling speakers upstairs in my office. I may also need to mount a couple of tvs, and perhaps add some more ethernet/cable outlets in the office and bedrooms.

Some of this stuff I could do myself, but it's one of those situations where it might make sense to just pay someone to do it right.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:43 PM   #987
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Table 5 - PM Sent
Old 01-17-2015, 11:04 PM   #988
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 4K TVs remind me of when 1080p TVs first came out. Some of them wouldn't accept 1080p. This is happening with 4K TVs as well. At least most of them won't accept 4K @60hz 4.4.4. which is required for full 4K. Many of them will do it at 30hz or 60hz 4.2.0 (Sony) which is crappy if you are using a computer signal but 30hz is okay for movies. Most of the LGs will do a full 4K. The Panasonic's will do it as well with a DP connection but this isn't the HDCP 2.2. Some Samsungs work properly but it looks like it's a gamble on what parts you happen to get. Samsung is also offering an add-on that can be purchased to upgrade their 4K TVs as newer chips come out. Mostly as cupofjoe says it will be a good idea to wait until 2016 or at least do your research.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2015, 08:20 AM   #989
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is another good article on 4k TVs and how this is somewhat different from the SD/HD transition.

Quote:
It’s not like the Betamax/VHS or Blu-Ray/HD-DVD format wars, which were about content delivery systems that worked with any TV. With 4K, the TV is the content delivery system. It’s more like an OS war.
As many have pointed out, this means to wait.

Last edited by DoubleK; 01-19-2015 at 08:23 AM.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleK For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2015, 10:03 AM   #990
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Here is another good article on 4k TVs and how this is somewhat different from the SD/HD transition.

As many have pointed out, this means to wait.
+1 very good article
Old 01-19-2015, 10:39 AM   #991
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Any tips or tricks to mounting a 50" onto a rock wall above a fireplace? Maybe cupofjoe has done this before?
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:16 AM   #992
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Any tips or tricks to mounting a 50" onto a rock wall above a fireplace? Maybe cupofjoe has done this before?

Very carefully...

I am assuming it is a irregular surface, I will refer you to link:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...read.cgi?27317

Quote:
Long lag bolts into whatever is most secure (stone or studs if it's a stone veneer) and then varying amount of washers on each bolt to level the mounting bracket evenly.
It won't be easy. You will have to be extremely careful where you mount the bolts into the wall so they line up properly with your bracket.

I tend to shy away from these as the risk/reward ratio is not good for my business.
The Following User Says Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #993
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Is the screen wider than the rock wall? If so you could build a mount that secures to the wall right beside where the rock wall ends instead of securing right to the rock wall.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2015, 02:23 PM   #994
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No, the wall is roughly 6 or 7 feet wide so no chance of mounting to the adjacent wall. For the layout of the room it makes the most sense to put the TV on the rock wall, otherwise my living room becomes very very long. I guess I will have to play with it a bit.

Any recommendation on wall anchors or just lag bolts into the rock?

I might go with a 37" here instead. Need to play around a bit.
Old 01-19-2015, 07:52 PM   #995
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

You mean that $600 4k TV I saw advertised during boxing day might not be compliant.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 08:24 PM   #996
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We're looking at the Panasonic AX900 right now for UHD.
Old 01-19-2015, 11:55 PM   #997
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
No, the wall is roughly 6 or 7 feet wide so no chance of mounting to the adjacent wall. For the layout of the room it makes the most sense to put the TV on the rock wall, otherwise my living room becomes very very long. I guess I will have to play with it a bit.

Any recommendation on wall anchors or just lag bolts into the rock?

I might go with a 37" here instead. Need to play around a bit.
Depends on how solid the rock is. Typically you would use a masonry anchor bolt for real rock and lag bolt for faux rock.

If you have doubts, consult with someone at home depot.
The Following User Says Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2015, 03:32 AM   #998
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

So Iceland just got a free trade agreement with China, and some of their stuff is just too tempting not to try, so I ordered a $340 USD WIFI android 4.2 projector, the specs are pretty solid for this price, and wireless sounds like a dream. Skeptical of what it will turn out to be but I'll be sure to post some pics and my thoughts.

This idea of going wifi, running plex is such a great idea, wish more high end projectors went this route.

Here's the projector: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-W...942156648.html
Old 01-20-2015, 08:25 AM   #999
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
So Iceland just got a free trade agreement with China, and some of their stuff is just too tempting not to try, so I ordered a $340 USD WIFI android 4.2 projector, the specs are pretty solid for this price, and wireless sounds like a dream. Skeptical of what it will turn out to be but I'll be sure to post some pics and my thoughts.

This idea of going wifi, running plex is such a great idea, wish more high end projectors went this route.

Here's the projector: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-W...942156648.html
That does look interesting especially at that price. The only downside I see is the resolution of 1200X800 which is not a home theater resolution. But I am curious about your review.
Old 01-20-2015, 09:59 AM   #1000
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

The Logitech Harmony Ultimate One is the best remote I have ever used. I had buttons programmed out the ass on my old Shaw remote to switch between PVR, Xbox, PS4, inputs on the TV, and inputs on the receiver, but being able to do all that with a single click is amazing
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote