Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #841
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the monoprice mounts but DO NOT trust the built in levels.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #842
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm thinking of going with one of the following Polk Audio speaker models for my front left and right (5.1 setup)

From what I can tell, a really good price in Canada for a pair of the above is around $400-$500. Some or all of these models might be discontinued?

Newegg.ca apparently has had really good deals on Polk Audio speakers in the past, but don't seem to have anything available right now.

Visions has a pair of the 75T's for $500, the sale apparently ends tomorrow...
http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/cate...&sku=MONITOR75

Although they're in black, and I kind of like the look of them in cherry.

Just wondering if anyone has seen any of the above models in Calgary or Canada, either online or at a local store, for a decent price? Has anyone seen them in cherry? (seems like the cherry finish is harder to find).

Trying to figure out if there's anywhere else besides Visions or Newegg.ca I can keep an eye out for them.

Thanks!

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:04 PM   #843
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
I'm thinking of going with one of the following Polk Audio speaker models for my front left and right (5.1 setup)

From what I can tell, a really good price in Canada for a pair of the above is around $400-$500. Some or all of these models might be discontinued?

Newegg.ca apparently has had really good deals on Polk Audio speakers in the past, but don't seem to have anything available right now.

Visions has a pair of the 75T's for $500, the sale apparently ends tomorrow...

Although they're in black, and I kind of like the look of them in cherry.

Just wondering if anyone has seen any of the above models in Calgary or Canada, either online or at a local store, for a decent price? Has anyone seen them in cherry? (seems like the cherry finish is harder to find).

Trying to figure out if there's anywhere else besides Visions or Newegg.ca I can keep an eye out for them.

Thanks!
Picked these up last month from Visions...for $398. So once a month it seems they drop to that level or so.

Only unboxed them and haven't hooked them up yet, as we have not yet finished our room. The 65T's should be a $100 cheaper, just have 3 drivers instead of 4.

Don't think you can find them at Visions in Cherry. They (like most speakers) are a few years old (the manufacturer doesn't change models yearly), and thus, as your pic shows, there are similar spec'ed ones with different model numbers.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #844
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just a heads up that the Polk 75's have dropped to $398 for the next 2 days at Visions. Have been monitoring them since early March. They dropped to $498 a couple times, first time I've seen them drop to $398.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:35 AM   #845
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
I have a pretty standard setup, as represented in this crude drawing I whipped up. (green are speakers, red are TV and amp, white is furniture)

Two tower speakers at front of room on either side of the TV. Center channel will either be above or below the TV, haven't decided as of yet.

Sub will likely be to the left of the left tower speaker in the front corner of the room.

Two speakers on either wall, then two more in the rear corners.

I've tried to make sure any audio cables are not touching any electrical wiring. Here's a shot of the wiring right now. Notice the grey sub cable running along the bottom.
Spoiler!
Thought I'd share the finished product with you all.

http://i.imgur.com/eBHnoZT.jpg

7.1 audio goodness and the receiver/TV are fantastic.

StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #846
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Thought I'd share the finished product with you all.

http://i.imgur.com/eBHnoZT.jpg

7.1 audio goodness and the receiver/TV are fantastic.

Good job. Did you aim down the center speaker?
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #847
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Nah, only aimed the mids and rears. Tested the Center in the current position and it worked so well, it wasn't necessary.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 11:47 AM   #848
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ok, if it works it works. Just looked a little higher up on the photo. Enjoy your setup, you'll save a lot of money not going to the cinemas.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #849
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

My Logitech Harmony One remote has bit the dust and I don't feel comfortable paying $300-$500 on eBay or Amazon to buy a new one since they have been discontinued.

The Harmony Ultimate touch remote has some sketchy reviews so I'm not convinced I want to go that route.

Logitech has been a great universal remote builder but maybe it's time for me to go with another brand. Any recommendations? I don't require any super advanced funcionality...just something to control my TV, receiver, PVR, and Xbox One. Thanks guys.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #850
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nope, I sure don't have any. Logitech Harmony is pretty much the way to go. Every time a pretender to the throne comes forward, the Harmony seems to just mop the floor with them.

I still use the Logitech Harmony 720. Love it, and picked it up for a steal on eBay.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2014, 04:17 PM   #851
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

I agree with the above, nothing really compares in terms of function.

I have 3 harmony remotes in my household and recently added this one
http://m.futureshop.ca/?lang=en#/cat...486&lang=en-CA
To my basement home theater. I am a huge fan, the fact that all my Bluetooth, IR and network controlled devices work is spectacular. Down side? Buttons don't glow so for a bedroom or projector based home theater you might have to use your phone as a remote instead so that could fill in the gap (I personally don't like using my phone as the remote because I like to use it as a phone).

I used to love the old Harmonys it's upsetting that the only options are the 650 or ONE when it comes to IR only devices.
Old 05-05-2014, 05:14 PM   #852
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks guys. The 720 looks pretty good but eBay users seem to want a premium unless it is a used one.

Diemenz, how do you find the functionality of the Smart Control without the ability to add buttons via a touch screen? I could probably overlook that the buttons don't glow but not sure how it would work if I wanted to add an additional activity...What if for example I wanted to add an additional activity such as "Watch Netflix?" What are the options?

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 05:27 PM   #853
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

^
With your phone as a remote the options for extra activities are great, with the standard remote only 6 and you don't have the screen visual to help you. I have a Roku, PS3, PS4, Xbox360, shaw gateway and a emulator hooked up to my system. The remote allows me to have 6 activities (3 regular button presses 3 long button presses) so it covers what I need I just have to remember how I set everything up. After about a week the wife and I had it down.
Old 05-10-2014, 07:45 PM   #854
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Here's my situation... The layout of my wall is as follows. I sit 10" away from the wall. It's a concrete building so I'm probably not going to be able to find anything resembling a stud to drill into, unless I find something metal. Hence, lighter TV is better.

What I'm thinking I'll do is fill that wall with some shelving I'll build out of plumbing pipe and stained treated lumber. I've done it before and it works. After that, here's the layout I'm looking at. TV mounted above the fireplace - other blue square is a mirror.

So... Wondering what TV to buy, here.

Thinking a 60" is the right size, as it would be about 55" wide and the fireplace surround is 57". The one I want is the Samsung F8000 in 60", which is currently $2500 at Future Shop / Best Buy. But that's about $1000 more than I had budgeted. If anyone has another suggestion as to what to buy and where I'd be grateful for the input.
19Yzerman19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #855
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yzerman, the thing is to make sure your mantel is not too high for TV viewing.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:11 PM   #856
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There is no mantel, just a surround. If you mean the spot where I'm mounting the TV, the bottom will be about 54" off the ground. It's a little higher than ideal but that's where it has to go, so that's where it's going, and it's not THAT high. No higher than where my TV was in my last place. I can get the wall mount to tilt down as well.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #857
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

OK if you get a bracket with height adjustment, you can try out a several height for taste.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:14 AM   #858
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
There is no mantel, just a surround. If you mean the spot where I'm mounting the TV, the bottom will be about 54" off the ground. It's a little higher than ideal but that's where it has to go, so that's where it's going, and it's not THAT high. No higher than where my TV was in my last place. I can get the wall mount to tilt down as well.
How are you going to attach your wall mount?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:20 AM   #859
19Yzerman19
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Good question. I was going to ask whoever sold it to me what I should do on that front.
Old 05-11-2014, 08:36 AM   #860
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Yzerman19 View Post
Good question. I was going to ask whoever sold it to me what I should do on that front.
I'd maybe ask a building supply store staff rather than some TV retailer but both could be helpful. Here's a how to but be sure it's okay to drill into the concrete.

http://www.gardenfork.tv/hang-a-tv-o...-concrete-wall
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote