Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #1
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Uber Petition

I am sure most of you know what Uber is, but of those that don't:

Uber is a car driving service that you can book and arrange from your smartphone. Drivers are screened, have a drivers abstract and must have a certain standard of automobile. The rates are quoted at the outset and billed to your credit card.

I am a recent user of this service and it's beyond excellent. In my mind the push to block this is by the taxi and limousines service. Industries change and from my recent usage of the service it's high time the taxi industry is due.

Sign the petition here and let City Council know that Calgary citizens deserve choice and an alternative transportation choices that meet our needs.

https://action.uber.org/calgary/
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to calgarywinning For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Already signed this morning and tweeted my councillor.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't used Uber yet, but #### Calgary's taxi commission. Going to sign this out of spite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 11:24 AM   #4
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Definitely signing this. Calgary needs to get with the modern times, and the Taxi Commission should adapt, not bully.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 11:31 AM   #5
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

signed and shared on fb.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:31 AM   #6
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Signed and shared. Calgary definitely needs it.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 11:35 AM   #7
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happily signed. Would love to see this get approved.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 11:49 AM   #8
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Signed it

I've probably only used a cab ~12 times in Calgary, over the past 10 years.

I think 4 times I booked them in advance.

I once was stranded for 3 hours waiting for one of 3 different cab companies I called to pick me up and give me a ride back to my truck, after a football game. I got a ride to the game from a friends house and did not know how to get to his house by bus, we went our different ways after the game. (This was ~8 or 9 years ago before we all had internet on our phones, today I would probably look up the bus route and skip the cab).

I once walked home in the far NE form a bar on 17th Ave at 2 in the morning, it was about a 5 hour walk, seems like a bad idea in retrospect, but young people are stupid and I couldn't get a cab.

Once time I actually managed to flag one down while walking home from a downtown bar. Didn't learn from the first time.

And the other 7 times I actually managed to call cab out to the bar to pick me up.

I'm not much of a cab user, I generally drive everywhere and I don't go out drinking that often. But people being left out in the cold 25% of the time, just doesn't seem acceptable. This city should be near the top of the entire world for standard of living, things like that need to be addressed.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #9
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't count how many times I've called for a cab and not had one show up. I've pretty much vowed to never go out unless I'm a) driving myself, b) have a guaranteed DD, or c) can walk home. Cabs are useless in this city unless you need a ride home from the airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 12:08 PM   #10
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is actually my most important election issue when it comes to civic politics. Even though there are much bigger issues, I have no confidence that my elected officials can manage those other issues without being polluted by corruption and special interest if they cannot successfully do away with the current cab system and allow for market based improvements such as Uber. The will of the people for massive reform here has to be over 90% and yet we can never seem to do away with the status quo.

I will vote and work against any politician who works/votes to either maintain this status quo, or soften the blow of change for the existing taxi industry in this city.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #11
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I recently used Uber in Seattle and I have nothing but praise for the service.

The app is well designed and gives you an ETA and current positioning of your assigned driver. It also clearly states the current rates and fees.

I have heard but have not experienced yet, that Uber will check to ensure that the driver took the most efficient route and will refund the customer if that is not the case.

Icing on the cake, you do not have to deal with paying the driver. The driver ends the trip, Uber charges your CC the amount due.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #12
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Signed it. F the Taxi commission.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #13
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is definitely one of those issues where having more competition offers nothing but benefit for the general public. Any politician who is against this type of reform has to be on the take, or facing some sort of serious political consequence. But for the citizens of Calgary, it's a total no brainer.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #14
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
This is definitely one of those issues where having more competition offers nothing but benefit for the general public. Any politician who is against this type of reform has to be on the take, or facing some sort of serious political consequence...but for the citizens of Calgary, it's a total no brainer.
BTW, that includes Nenshi. On twitter a while back he tried to explain how opening up the number of licenses somehow was going to lead to less cab service long term. His argument went around how initially there would be more competition and then the profits would suffer and then many of the new entrants would go out of business and eventually there would be less cabs servicing the city than in the current taxi commission world.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:29 PM   #15
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
BTW, that includes Nenshi. On twitter a while back he tried to explain how opening up the number of licenses somehow was going to lead to less cab service long term. His argument went around how initially there would be more competition and then the profits would suffer and then many of the new entrants would go out of business and eventually there would be less cabs servicing the city than in the current taxi commission world.
If Nenshi is against Uber or better market competition, he better GTF onboard quick or risk losing much popular support. The taxi issue is beginning to take center stage in this town and the general public appears to be almost in unison (if not fully) on this issue of improving the market conditions for taxi service.

Maybe it's just the necessary resistance to get rid of the established order of things; either way, we will have Uber (or a service like it) in Calgary. It's just a matter of if, not when.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:35 PM   #16
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
BTW, that includes Nenshi.
Agreed, that includes Nenshi. I have a feeling stepping further into this "debate" is a political landmine for him, but I'm hoping he can keep being the pragmatic, facts-over-rhetoric mayor on this issue too.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #17
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the record - the Mayor's take:

Calgary ‘going in the wrong direction’ with limo bylaw that snubs Uber: Nenshi

Quote:
But Nenshi expressed fears that city regulations were heading in the “wrong direction.”

“I have concerns about our entire suite of limousine regulations,” he said. “In my mind, there’s a really good argument to be made, especially in a world of Uber and apps, that we should actually be loosening our limousine regulations and what we see here is a tightening of it.”
http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/110...s-uber-nenshi/
Old 08-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #18
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
If Nenshi is against Uber or better market competition, he better GTF onboard quick or risk losing much popular support. The taxi issue is beginning to take center stage in this town and the general public appears to be almost in unison (if not fully) on this issue of improving the market conditions for taxi service.

Maybe it's just the necessary resistance to get rid of the established order of things; either way, we will have Uber (or a service like it) in Calgary. It's just a matter of if, not when.
In a recent bylaw amendment vote in July regarding regulations only two members of council voted against (Nenshi and Faerell.) The amendments that were voted in essentially place restrictions on a service like Uber by requiring all limo and sedan services be arranged at least 30 minutes ahead of time.

It seems like most of the council members are in support of the current system and commission.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:53 PM   #19
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
For the record - the Mayor's take:

Calgary ‘going in the wrong direction’ with limo bylaw that snubs Uber: Nenshi

http://metronews.ca/news/calgary/110...s-uber-nenshi/
Letting Uber and other apps in isn't the final answer to reform on this file. It's removing the fixed number of licenses and adding flexibility to the pricing mechanisms as well.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #20
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Whoa, slow down there. Maybe we should study this issue further.
I know, clearly if Calgary is oversupplied by even one cab ever, then the repercussions will be that everyone immediately dies the worst death imaginable, so we have to be careful with these 'reforms.'