Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2014, 12:54 AM   #1
DOOM
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Real Christmas Trees

The past few years my family has gone out of the country for Christmas, we have been putting up a plastic Christmas tree.

We are going to get a real tree this year.

Where is the best place to grab one?

Last edited by DOOM; 11-30-2014 at 12:09 AM.
DOOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:01 AM   #2
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get a permit and go cut your own. It will be a Charlie Brown kind of tree, most likely, but such a great time! It's just a fun day. It's also like $5 for a permit as compared to whatever the lots are charging.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2014, 07:04 AM   #3
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've picked mine up from Ikea the past couple of years. The trees are pretty decent. Price is $20 but you get a $20 off a $75 purchase coupon in January.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Get a permit and go cut your own. It will be a Charlie Brown kind of tree, most likely, but such a great time! It's just a fun day. It's also like $5 for a permit as compared to whatever the lots are charging.
Agreed that this is the way to go. Super fun too, especially if you have young ones.

You can buy your permit online, here: http://esrd.alberta.ca/forms-maps-se...e-cutting.aspx
Then you can print the permit, and maps, too.

We've gone to the Southern Rockies Region the past two years. NW of Ghost Lake, up the Forestry Trunk Road near Waiparous, last year and near Bragg Creek the year before. Both times, we found pretty decent trees.

For $5, ya just can't go wrong.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:49 AM   #5
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Posting here strictly to make sure people see it

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...16#post5025816

Carry on.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 01:26 PM   #6
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

There is a tree lot at Richmond Road and Sarcee
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:00 PM   #7
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Are you in the North or south, there are at least 3 Boy Scout lots in the North I can think of.

Last edited by #-3; 11-28-2014 at 06:03 PM.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 06:55 AM   #8
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lowe's, of course!!
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:13 PM   #9
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does cutting down a tree and bringing it inside the house to decorate it seem like the actions of a drunk man to anyone else?
Old 11-29-2014, 04:14 PM   #10
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me, getting a live tree seems like the a waste of a perfectly good tree that is better left in nature.

Anyone have a counterpoint to this?
Old 11-29-2014, 04:15 PM   #11
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Leave the real tree where it belongs, in the wild providing oxygen for us. Killing a tree to decorate it for a few weeks is just wasteful to me.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #12
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
To me, getting a live tree seems like the a waste of a perfectly good tree that is better left in nature.

I recall seeing a news story or documentary a year or two ago about the main tree farms in Canada that provide Christmas trees. It is the economic livelihood for certain regions in Nova Scotia. They do replant each and every tree and I believe they harvest the trees every six years. Without the Christmas tree industry those people would have no industry in their region.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2014, 04:54 PM   #13
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I remember reading a really good article about this topic (real vs fake) and can't find it, but his will do.
From here: http://greatist.com/health/real-chri...tree-healthier
Quote:
Christmas trees are a billion-dollar market, according to the National Christmas Tree Association (yup, a real thing). In 2011, a poll found that people in the U.S. purchased more than 30 million real trees and 9.5 million fake ones. Short of not buying a tree at all (unlikely), evidence is mounting that the best way to minimize environmental impact (and potential health risks) is to purchase a real live tree.

It’s easy to assume fake trees are the more eco-friendly choice, because (let’s face it) cutting down a live tree hardly seems like an act of environmental preservation. But according to the NCTA, artificial trees are made up of plastics that don’t biodegrade (meaning any fake tree that ends up in a landfill will stay there for, well, ever.) In addition, the process of making fake trees is pretty energy-intensive, meaning that a fake tree would have to be used for two decades before it could match the carbon footprint of a farmed tree (that’s the amount of carbon emitted by burning fossil fuels). Though one study did find that artificial trees are a better choice environmentally (on the grounds that they have a smaller transportation footprint than real trees because real-tree purchasers have to drive to pick one up each year), the conclusions have been accused of being misleading.

Not only are fake trees fairly damaging to the environment, but they might also pose a risk to human health. Fake trees may contain metal toxins like lead, the exposure to which may cause damage to the central nervous system, kidneys, and other organs, even in small doses . In short, fake trees generally aren’t a great choice for planetary and human health.

In contrast, spending a little cash-money on a real tree can be good for human health, local communities, and the planet. Real trees contribute to local state economies (Christmas tree farms are in business in all 50 states), and choosing a locally grown tree can actually conserve energy (no transporting a tree over state lines or overseas). Another bonus: Real trees are biodegradable, which means they can be recycled or composted and used to fertilize new generations of trees.

Real trees can also benefit human health. Trees help clean the air while they’re grown (remember all that photosynthesis stuff we learned in grade school?). And one acre of the Christmas staple can produce the daily oxygen requirements for 18 people. Exposure to real greenery can also be pretty therapeutic, as it’s been linked to reduced stress and improvements in overall wellbeing. And if all this isn’t enough reason to buy the authentic version, consider this: Real trees smell waaay better.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:27 AM   #14
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Superstore. $29 for an 9' Balsam Fir. Its almost a joke how cheap they sell them.
Ducay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 08:51 AM   #15
Suzles
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Our trees (at Lowe's) come from Canadian Christmas tree farms and are shipped fresh - ours were only cut about 10 days ago. This is their purpose - they have a Christmas destiny! These trees provide jobs for Canadians. Some box stores, however, have their trees sourced from the States, they are cut in September and then frozen in containers and stored before being shipped great distances - so these are not as environmentally friendly.
Suzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 01:52 PM   #16
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Posting here strictly to make sure people see it

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...16#post5025816

Carry on.

New developments! - Now looking for a tree to help another family. Check out the link and lets see if we can find one.

Carry on

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #17
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixon45 View Post
There is a tree lot at Richmond Road and Sarcee
I was there at 6:00 last night and it was CLOSED! Wouldn't that be nearly prime time? Sunday night aka family night?

RGMG
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:12 PM   #18
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

There have to be a couple of lots in the NE looking to have their tree removed, no permit needed. It's in the way of their paving plans.

chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:16 PM   #19
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plastic tree that is made in a factory and ends up in a landfill is far worse for the environment than harvesting a tree
Old 12-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #20
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was watching the Shaw channel for some reason and saw this story about the Cochrane Ecological Institue offering up Christmas trees for a donation to assist their animal reserve (both in maintaining their land for grazing, and the funds from the trees to help their programs).

Link to an article if anyone is interested in learning more.

http://www.oldsalbertan.ca/article/2...ate=JQMArticle