Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2014, 04:00 PM   #1
93Hound
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Goalie Gear

My daughter plays ringette and is wanting to be a goalie. She is 10 right now and gets gear supplied to her. I would like to get her a set of her own pads but have no idea what ones may me best for her.
Any suggestions would help.
93Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

At her age, you might be able to find her some new leg pads for $300 ish........I have no idea if the gear is the same, but I have a hockey chest protector and goalie pants my son wore for a couple of years, I'd love to get out of my basement...also have some goalie skates as well.....

As for pads there are a couple of types out there (2 break, 3 break etc) but she won't know what she likes yet. Just buy pads that fit her now, not something she will grow into - it is hard to move in gear that is too big.

Last edited by Northendzone; 11-27-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 06:56 PM   #3
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
At her age, you might be able to find her some new leg pads for $300 ish........I have no idea if the gear is the same, but I have a hockey chest protector and goalie pants my son wore for a couple of years, I'd love to get out of my basement...also have some goalie skates as well.....

As for pads there are a couple of types out there (2 break, 3 break etc) but she won't know what she likes yet. Just buy pads that fit her now, not something she will grow into - it is hard to move in gear that is too big.
And potentially quite dangerous on the knees.

Stop in somewhere like Professional Skate or Tuxedo or even Pro Hockey Life and get her fitted properly.

As the Dad of a goalie, I know the price of stuff sucks, but it feels a lot better knowing they have the right stuff and it'll protect them.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
93Hound
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thanks for the help guys.
She is in a 28" pad now. I am thinking next year get her own pads.... not sure if any brand is better than others. I know you mention just get something that fits but the weight is a big thing too. I see some pads are quite heave.... like the ones she is supplied this year.
Just so many to choose form.
Thanks for the advise.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:09 AM   #5
meanmachine13
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Try Play it again sports and Adrenaline. I have always had good success finding good goalie gear at awesome prices at both.

BTW. As a female myself, I switched from ringette to hockey. If she is at all interested in girls hockey, you should go to COP this weekend and have her check out the 'Wickfest'. Its wickenheisers girls hockey festival. Its huge and will show her what girls hockey is like.
meanmachine13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
93Hound
Backup Goalie

Exp:

She has not had an interest in that just yet. My older son is in Bantam and she loves to watch him, but likes the fact that she plays something different and that she is better than him at it...... it's quite funny to watch them.
Old 11-28-2014, 11:21 AM   #7
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

it can be hard to find used goalie gear at the used stores - my son recently started complaining that he was starting to feel shots to his upper body - so i thought i could easily find a used protector at the place in shawnessy - the only one they had in his size looked like it had been used for dirt hockey, and most of the straps were so frayed, i'd have had to replace them - so i jsut bought him a new one.

as for the gear itself, most stuff in the same price range is similar. i'd watch out for goalie pads with plastic buckles, as to me they are more likely to break that the traditional metal buckles.

most newer pads will be much lighter - i bought my sone 31+1 Reebok P4's; but i think he is now jonesing for some of the CCM stuff. Personally I like the look of buaer goalie gear.

sometime source for sports will ahve a deal on if you buy three pieces of equipment then you get soemthign off......

i assume that someone has told you to ensure that you leave the leg straps somewhat loose to allow the pad to move when the goalie drops and to never ever cut a goalie stick as it throw the balance off......
Old 11-29-2014, 03:46 PM   #8
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go to any store get her to try stuff on. See what she likes. Then order off goaliemonkey.com for 1/2 what you would pay in store. I use only the best Reebok leg pads chest protectors.We have a lot of guys that played in division 1 NCAA / Ahl/Echl in the league I play in and they shoot to hurt. I I like to use Vaughn catchers and Koho blockers. I can't really help you with masks you would find in stores as I don't use any you'd find in a shop. If you can find a place that has Eddy masks That's what I would get her. If your lucky you may find a sportmask.

Your daughter won't need the top of the line like us older people but those brands are what I would recommend as they have proven me quite reliable.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 11-29-2014 at 03:55 PM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #9
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope this discussion keeps on growing....I love talking minor hockey (even though the op daughter plays ringette) and even more so, I love talking bout young goalies......
Old 12-01-2014, 09:41 AM   #10
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hope this discussion keeps on growing....I love talking minor hockey (even though the op daughter plays ringette) and even more so, I love talking bout young goalies......

My son went to a camp put on by minor hockey last night.

17 goalies out on the ice, from Novice to Bantam. It was nice to see. I am a believer in the younger players being around the older players.

He came off last night after 90 mins, smiling, sweaty and hungry.

I am not a goalie, in fact, I only leart to skate 7 yrs ago, but love seeing my son's absolute enjoyment of the position.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 09:44 AM   #11
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

An other note, from last night.

I was talking to a friend who's boy plays Bantam, and they bought his gear in Airdrie. She couldn't remember the name of the store, but apparently, the pricing was well below anything we see around central Alberta.

Quote:
Old 12-01-2014, 10:08 AM   #12
93Hound
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My daughter just had a goalie camp put on by her Ringette association. She absolutely loved it.
She also came off Sweaty and Hungry.
I grew up playing hockey and the goalie was always left out of anything the associations would run. Now it seems as though there is more for them to promote the position. Especially for us dads that no absolutely nothing about being a goalie.
She loves the position even though she is a strong forward and can score the goals too. The team really gets behind her and it's so good to see.
The Following User Says Thank You to 93Hound For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2014, 10:34 AM   #13
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ with respect to the above - it never ceases to surprise me at hockey many guys i have met thru minor hockey that are very knowledge about the game - but are lost with respect to goaltending......

my personal pet peeve about most hockey practices are that the drills are set up mostly witht eh player in mind and nobody thinks of game situation drills to benefit the goalie....for example, a breakway drill, where the players are spaced 5 seconds apart - this dill gives the goalie no time to reset - never in a game situation will a goalie face a procession of shooters.

as players get older, some of these quick drills involving hard shoots from the high slot get dangerous for the goalie - as the face a shot, turn and are then blasted with the puck and then turn the other way, and the drill gets repeated - who learns anything from that dumbness......

i beleive that msot hockey associations within calgary, do have goalie comittees (I know that mine does). this position is totally different than the others on the ice.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:58 AM   #14
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
^ with respect to the above - it never ceases to surprise me at hockey many guys i have met thru minor hockey that are very knowledge about the game - but are lost with respect to goaltending......

my personal pet peeve about most hockey practices are that the drills are set up mostly witht eh player in mind and nobody thinks of game situation drills to benefit the goalie....for example, a breakway drill, where the players are spaced 5 seconds apart - this dill gives the goalie no time to reset - never in a game situation will a goalie face a procession of shooters.

as players get older, some of these quick drills involving hard shoots from the high slot get dangerous for the goalie - as the face a shot, turn and are then blasted with the puck and then turn the other way, and the drill gets repeated - who learns anything from that dumbness......

i beleive that msot hockey associations within calgary, do have goalie comittees (I know that mine does). this position is totally different than the others on the ice.
One of my son's coaches played a high level of hockey in goal.

The work he does with him at practice (even for 20-30 mins) makes a huge difference. His skills have increased significantly since he started in goal last Dec.

Sadly, not all teams has coaches that can coach a goalie.

Quote:
Old 12-01-2014, 12:27 PM   #15
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

count your son as lucky - most coaches do not build enough time into a practice plan to allow the goalies to work on their basic skating/movements....and if your goalie coach is just doing it because he is also coaching the D, so he gets the goalies as well then he is not engaged enough to see a practice from the goalies POV.

I also had practices where goalies are standing around, while the coach explains some kind of complciated drill, or stops a drill to ID where players went wrong......a goalie standing around gets disengaged, and that is not a postion to be in.....
Old 12-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #16
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
count your son as lucky - most coaches do not build enough time into a practice plan to allow the goalies to work on their basic skating/movements....and if your goalie coach is just doing it because he is also coaching the D, so he gets the goalies as well then he is not engaged enough to see a practice from the goalies POV.

I also had practices where goalies are standing around, while the coach explains some kind of complciated drill, or stops a drill to ID where players went wrong......a goalie standing around gets disengaged, and that is not a postion to be in.....

Yeah, I know he is lucky.

We run into a similair issue with my daughter's peewee team. The one goalie is very strong and other other is very weak. The strong one is often stuck in the player drills while the weak one get's all the attention. Us coaches need to remind ourselves that the strong goalie needs goalie drill time as well as the weak one.

BTW, do you have any links to goalie flexibility information/stretching routines. My 8 yr old wants to "stretch it out dad".

Quote:
Old 12-01-2014, 02:26 PM   #17
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Some decent deals here today (updated every 30 minutes): http://goal.thehockeyshop.com/dailydeal/index/list/
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2014, 03:41 PM   #18
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was was very lucky growing up. I always had a goalie coach from novice to Junior.

We do the stretch and skating drills for the first hour then we would go off with the goaili coach.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 03:44 PM   #19
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
Some decent deals here today (updated every 30 minutes): http://goal.thehockeyshop.com/dailydeal/index/list/

sizing is the worst part.

my 8 yr old is in junior blocker/trapper b/c youth is too small for him.

He is wearing 26 +1 pads, and I am concerned about them lasting the season.

Quote:
Old 12-01-2014, 04:25 PM   #20
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

you've obviously never seen my men's team play