Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2014, 09:24 PM   #1
Jayems
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default New TVs (Black Friday?)

Had an accident at home and broke my tv. Still works but there's a big black bar across it now.

Regardless, looking to possibly get a new one and see on RedFlag there's some good TV deals with this Black Friday stuff.

Was hoping to solicit the advice of CP to recommend a good tv for ~$2,000 around this time of year and where the best places to go might be?

Last one was 55" LED, loved it. Was hoping to go up north of that, maybe a 65+ if the price was decent.

Also of note I am not even remotely interested in lining up or battling crowds. Don't care that much.
Jayems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 02:48 AM   #2
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't recommend a TV for you but the 4K TVs seem to be dropping in price. Lots of good reviews on them but if you're a gamer and want to game at 4K, only a couple of TV brands will do 4k @ 6oHz 4.4.4. Namely most of the LGs and some of the Samsungs. Most will do 4K at 30Hz which I hear is fine for movies. Another problem is you need a GTX 980 or GTX 970 video card with the HDMI 2 ports to achieve 4K @ 60 Hz 4.4.4. Lesser cards such as the GTX 700 series will only do 4K@ 60hz 4.2.0 or 4.4.4 30hz. These TVs are being given good grades for upconverting 1080p or 720p to 4K even though there isn't much 4K source material yet. Netflix has some if you subscribe to that.

Anyways sorry for taking this a little of topic, but I've been looking into them lately and just ordered a 40" Samsung HU7000FXC which is going for $800, for my computer room. It's not guaranteed to do 4K @ 60hz 4.4.4 but I most likely won't be gaming with it anyways.

here's a link showing some threads on the GTX 9xx cards situation with 4K TVs.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/board/155/

Last edited by Vulcan; 11-23-2014 at 02:54 AM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't really care for Visions, but I have to say, it seems like the sales staff have quite a bit of haggle room on big ticket items.

I went in a few years ago on Black Friday, no intention of buying a TV, but ended up walking out with a 52" Samsung for $750 all in. I was pretty apprehensive in the first place, but the sales representative ended up giving me ~50% off the ticket price in exchange for their extended warranty. Obviously that's where they make their best commission.

Normally I don't get the extended warranty, but that seemed like a good deal. That was definitely the best price on that particular model that I saw that year and the year after.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
Hugh Jahrmes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Vulcan how close are you sitting to that? 40"@4K can't really provide a discernible difference from 1080p at a standard viewing distance of say 12-15'?
Old 11-23-2014, 10:06 PM   #5
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jahrmes View Post
Vulcan how close are you sitting to that? 40"@4K can't really provide a discernible difference from 1080p at a standard viewing distance of say 12-15'?
About 40" away or a metre which is just about right. It will replace a 1080p TV of the same size. But yeah you need to consider your viewing distance or it isn't worth it.

In my living room I have a 1080p 55" TV which I sit about 8' away from so it wouldn't be worth replacing it for the same size 4K TV.

http://www.rtings.com/info/televisio...e-relationship

Last edited by Vulcan; 11-23-2014 at 10:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #6
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Futureshop and Best Buy now carry Vizio TV's. They aren't high end or anything but great bang for the buck TV's as they have very good picture quality and blacks for the price.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Futureshop and Best Buy now carry Vizio TV's. They aren't high end or anything but great bang for the buck TV's as they have very good picture quality and blacks for the price.
They have a 70" Vizio for the same price as the 42" sharp I bought a pile of years ago.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #8
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jahrmes View Post
I thought there was no (zero) 1080p content on cable or satellite TV so the whole 720p vs 1080p comparison is only applicable to blue rays? I could be wrong though.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #9
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

The TV deals I've seen aren't even that good. The sale price is pretty much the same as what Costco has year round.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 02:24 AM   #10
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
I thought there was no (zero) 1080p content on cable or satellite TV so the whole 720p vs 1080p comparison is only applicable to blue rays? I could be wrong though.
Bell TV has some PPV movies at 1080p. Netflix also has 1080p and 4K shows. Youtube has lots of videos in 1080p and some in 4K. Smart TVs also have shows in 1080p and 4K if it's a 4K TV. The TVs themselves also up-convert lower signals to 1080p or 4K with varying results. One of the American providers (Direct TV) also has some shows in 4K.

Here's a youtube example. Of course you won't get the effect without a 4K monitor or TV.

Gamers are also interested in gaming on a big screen at 4K.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2014, 06:03 AM   #11
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
The TV deals I've seen aren't even that good.
It's ridiculous. I"m also in the market for a TV and haven't seen a deal worth jumping on yet
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:00 AM   #12
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If I was buying a new TV, I'd be looking at the Vizios at Future Shop. That's about it.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 09:06 AM   #13
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
If I was buying a new TV, I'd be looking at the Vizios at Future Shop. That's about it.
Not sure about Future Shop but Best buy has the Vizio 70" 4K for $500 off right now. Fantastic deal for 70" 4K TV.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2014, 10:44 AM   #14
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I bought this last night: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...521ace9b3een02

Yes, last night. They had a special "VIP" sale, before the Black Friday sales.

I picked it up for $1,099.99. As you can see, is lower than the Black Friday price.

They also threw in:
- delivery of the TV stand, next week, for free.
- $20 off the TV stand: http://www.futureshop.ca/en-ca/produ...a09d2a426fen02
- $20 off the 4 year extended warranty.

And this thing is awesome! Can't wait to watch a game on it!
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #15
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
It's ridiculous. I"m also in the market for a TV and haven't seen a deal worth jumping on yet
Retailers have gotten wise and do the whole mark-up + sale strategy. You need to look at price trends from multiple retailers to see if it's actually a good price at the moment. Various sites do this for specific areas (PC components, amazon, etc.), but I've yet to see one covering all products - probably a bit too messy to try and track.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote