Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2017, 07:24 PM   #321
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Well that was a fun game.
The Big Chill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:24 PM   #322
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pathetic.
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #323
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gotta hand it to the front office, when everyone was calling for them to spend big money on the bullpen and additional closers to hold leads, it's like they knew they wouldnt be needing it.

Incredible foresight by the FO. Bravo.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #324
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Jays have not one, but two everyday players with SLG% under .100, and two more under .200. Staggeringly pathetic offense.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #325
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I am very worried about Bautista. He looks to be rapidly declining. A full season of Bautista hitting like this is going to be brutal.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:04 PM   #326
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Gotta hand it to the front office, when everyone was calling for them to spend big money on the bullpen and additional closers to hold leads, it's like they knew they wouldnt be needing it.

Incredible foresight by the FO. Bravo.
Yeah, no.

This is not a good post, and here's why. You're being most critical about the wrong thing.

It's the hitting BY A COUNTRY MILE that's the biggest disappointment.

Last edited by Karl; 04-12-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #327
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
I am very worried about Bautista. He looks to be rapidly declining. A full season of Bautista hitting like this is going to be brutal.
His arm looks a little better than last year but that's all.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:12 PM   #328
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Yeah, no.

This is not a good post, and here's why. You're being most critical about the wrong thing.

It's the hitting BY A COUNTRY MILE that's the biggest disappointment.
I think that post is making fun of the fact that the Jays havent had leads to hold
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 11:08 PM   #329
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

If this is what we are going to see all season, how long until we start seeing pieces shipped out. Wouldn't expect any of the free agents to be kept. I bet they could get a boat load for Estrada and possibly Lirano.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:15 PM   #330
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

8 games does not even = 1 NFL game. Do you guys all teeter on the edge of jumping off a bridge when your NFL team starts 0-1? Relax. You are what the back of your baseball card says you are. The Jays will be fine.

Starting tomorrow because I am going.

I'll be watching the Flames and pounding beers in the limo on the way back to London after the game Gotta love when vendors take you out!
Old 04-13-2017, 07:39 AM   #331
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is early, but it's also true only three teams in the history of baseball have started 1-7 or worse and made the playoffs. The NFL equivalent of only 3 teams making it in league history is closer to starting 1-4 in the NFL. The good news at the very least for the Jays is there's not much pressure on them right now since no one in Toronto really cares with the Leafs and Raptors in the playoffs. So they have time to work this out, albeit not that much if they don't want to be totally buried.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #332
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
8 games does not even = 1 NFL game. Do you guys all teeter on the edge of jumping off a bridge when your NFL team starts 0-1? Relax. You are what the back of your baseball card says you are. The Jays will be fine.

I'll be watching the Flames and pounding beers in the limo on the way back to London after the game Gotta love when vendors take you out!
It really isn't that simple.

This is trend that has been growing for the last year - year and a half with the current roster. The mentality needs to shift in order to have continued success offensively. Many of these guys want to mash the ball and don't seem willing to adjust for the sake of winning games.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #333
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post

Sure... at some point the Jays are going to find themselves in big crap.

They will need a 10 game winning streak to offset this slump.

AL East is to strong to fall behind so early.

http://slam.canoe.com/Slam/Baseball/.../22717423.html

"And with that, a team that made it to the post-season the past two Octobers is now 1-7 and plunging into a hole deep enough to soon have serious consequences."
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:37 AM   #334
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last year in late May they were 26-26.

25-19 is what they'd have to do starting today to get back to that same record at the 52 game mark.

That's not crazy, but of course with the way the team is hitting maybe it is crazy lol
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 09:40 AM   #335
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brutal start.

But I haven't been interested to sit down and watch the full games myself. Strange, as I usually am. I wonder if the Edwin handling has subconsciously soured me a bit?

The team looked ok on paper, but now it's looking terrible. Need to wait out a lot of guys to find their stroke right now, and unfortunately there is no time for that.

Is there anyone down in AAA that might inject some OBP into this lineup? When Pillar is your strongest player, you know you're not going to win much.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #336
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
It is early, but it's also true only three teams in the history of baseball have started 1-7 or worse and made the playoffs. The NFL equivalent of only 3 teams making it in league history is closer to starting 1-4 in the NFL. The good news at the very least for the Jays is there's not much pressure on them right now since no one in Toronto really cares with the Leafs and Raptors in the playoffs. So they have time to work this out, albeit not that much if they don't want to be totally buried.
This is on of the worst comparison I have read! Loosing 1 game in the NFL means you played 1 bad game. Win 1 at your are .500.

Going 1-7 means you played 7/8 bad games. You need to win 7 of the next 8 to get back to .500.

It isn't quiet as easy as winning game #2 in a NFL season.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #337
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDVAN View Post
Brutal start.

Is there anyone down in AAA that might inject some OBP into this lineup? When Pillar is your strongest player, you know you're not going to win much.
I don't believe they have anyone in the minors who are ready.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #338
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who win's tonight: Flames goals or Jays runs?
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:32 AM   #339
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
This is on of the worst comparison I have read! Loosing 1 game in the NFL means you played 1 bad game. Win 1 at your are .500.

Going 1-7 means you played 7/8 bad games. You need to win 7 of the next 8 to get back to .500.

You misinterpreted what I was saying totally. In the entire history of the MLB, only three teams have ever made the playoffs after starting 1-7. Forget the number of bad games that means they played, the point is only three teams from the position the Blue Jays currently find themselves have ever rallied to make the playoffs. NFL teams who start 0-1 make the playoffs constantly, gotta be at least 30% of the time. So I'm saying the NFL equivalent of three teams in the history of the league making the playoffs from a given position, that given position is likely something like a 1-4 start in the NFL. I know the Chiefs are the only team since the NFL went to 12 team playoffs that started 1-5 and made it.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:39 AM   #340
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post

They play 162 games! I know it is not the exact same, but the percentages and what each game means to your chances of making the playoffs is the same.

If this happened in July, while people would notice, it would not be the news that it is and would be easily forgotten. The Jays will still be in the playoffs this year, period. Relax.