Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2017, 11:27 AM   #461
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Bingo.
Where??

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
V
Old 05-24-2017, 11:29 AM   #462
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Where??
I walked into that one.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:06 PM   #463
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Another reason to buy:

The ever increasing cost of rent. Over time, your mortgage principle will decrease. Rents will always increase. You need to factor the rent you'll be paying in 30 years into your decision to buy/rent.
I wish. I look back at how my parents mortgage payments got inflated away, and I don't see that happening to much of a degree at all on mine so far.

The biggest reason I own is I hate moving, and I like dumping thousands upon thousands of dollars and hundreds of hours into stupid aesthetic projects.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 12:10 PM   #464
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Another reason to buy:

The ever increasing cost of rent. Over time, your mortgage principle will decrease. Rents will always increase. You need to factor the rent you'll be paying in 30 years into your decision to buy/rent.
Rent has decreased so much in Calgary over the last ten years but in particular the last two...

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/c...site-1.3394638
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #465
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Rent has decreased so much in Calgary over the last ten years but in particular the last two...

Anecdotally speaking (granted my sample is hundreds of local people) rent has been dropping regularly.

And I think renting is going to be an interesting situation in the future because I'm thinking a lot of people are coming to realize that retiring in Canada in a lost cause.

So instead of buying the house in the hopes of selling it for more than it cost in 30 years or so and leaving, why not pocket the difference in the meantime, pay the rent and then leave whenever you want?

Its an interesting scenario.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-24-2017, 12:22 PM   #466
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its funny how people tend to gloss over this.

I've got a number of clients that are struggling to adapt their businesses right now.

People who fancied themselves as top-notch business people all of a sudden coming to the realization that what they built for themselves has more to do with the enormous energy boom and less to do with their skills. Especially in construction.

"Why dont people just hand me money anymore?"
I have the same problem in a lodge I'm in, a whole group of doofus's who are supposed to be looking after the 'less fortunate' have developed the attitude that because their houses have made them rich then obviously they are genius's at money and its the poors own feckless fault that they are poor and so they don't deserve help.

Amazing how quickly money turns people into d'bags
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 12:30 PM   #467
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I have the same problem in a lodge I'm in, a whole group of doofus's who are supposed to be looking after the 'less fortunate' have developed the attitude that because their houses have made them rich then obviously they are genius's at money and its the poors own feckless fault that they are poor and so they don't deserve help.

Amazing how quickly money turns people into d'bags
Its interesting the difference between people who earn their money and people who think that because they bought a house and its now worth more than they paid that they are geniuses.

Is it worth more than you paid? How much interest did you pay?

Even then though, the value of a house at any given moment has very little to do with who bought it. How much does its value have to do with you?

Are you willing to take the same amount of credit when you have to sell it for less than you paid?

Old 05-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #468
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anecdotally speaking (granted my sample is hundreds of local people) rent has been dropping regularly.

And I think renting is going to be an interesting situation in the future because I'm thinking a lot of people are coming to realize that retiring in Canada in a lost cause.

So instead of buying the house in the hopes of selling it for more than it cost in 30 years or so and leaving, why not pocket the difference in the meantime, pay the rent and then leave whenever you want?

Its an interesting scenario.
That's pretty much what we are looking at... monthly cost of living on a beach in a place like Hoi-An Vietnam is like $1100... my wife and I could retire right now to there and not worry.

We are planning on doing 6 months here (during summer) and 6 months... elsewhere (SE Asia most likely) and should be financially independent to do that (or hell, live here all year) in the next few years.

It's amazing how much you're willing to save and choose to not spend money on frivolous things when you can see the light at the end of the tunnel
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #469
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
They also made massive investments at the best possible time, during the crash, which subsequently blew up

They saved well, obviously, but were also incredibly fortunate.
I'm not sure I'd characterize buying at the bottom of the crash as "incredibly fortunate." You need to have the cash on hand, as well as the courage to buy.

I had some cash on hand after the crash (not much), which I invested against the strenuous - verging on hysterical - objections of my family. Made 170 per cent return. But it was a calculated risk, not incredible good fortune.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 02:38 PM   #470
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I'm not sure I'd characterize buying at the bottom of the crash as "incredibly fortunate." You need to have the cash on hand, as well as the courage to buy.

I had some cash on hand after the crash (not much), which I invested against the strenuous - verging on hysterical - objections of my family. Made 170 per cent return. But it was a calculated risk, not incredible good fortune.
Bit of this bit of that? Even a calculated risk can net you a loss.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:44 PM   #471
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

Calgary also has no jobs and had a rental market that was previously characterized by horrible gauging. So yes, I'd agree it's probably a bad idea to buy a house in a city with unlimited land at the peak, just prior to a major recession.

Longterm though, rents always do go up. In Calgary, in particular, a random 10 year sample isn't representative. You're better off looking at 30+ years.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #472
HockeyIlliterate
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
MMM is much more BS though. He sells early retirement but pulls the wool over people's eyes by ignoring the fact he has a major money making website. He tries to claim all of his success is purely due to his frugality while working and frugality in general.
I think that most reasonable people can see through that part of MMM's persona and claims.

What MMM (tries to) obscure more regularly though is that his $25K a year living budget (or whatever the number is) does not count or include the value of his work or barters.

For example, he will take his family to Hawaii and not claim it as an expense, rationalizing that it was paid for by doing home improvement for someone on the island. Thus, he's living a much more expensive lifestyle than he is claiming to live, and hoping that his readers don't notice.
HockeyIlliterate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HockeyIlliterate For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 03:14 PM   #473
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just had someone turn down a really good job offer because they have only been in their house for a few years and are currently underwater. It was a solid career move for someone getting started. In his situation, renting would have been a far better financial move.
That said, I was pretty overextended when I bought my first house but that was at the start of a boom in Grande Prairie so my salary grew quickly as did the house value which jumped 50% between breaking ground and my possession date. Ten years later it is worth less than I could have got the day I moved in.
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #474
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary also has no jobs and had a rental market that was previously characterized by horrible gauging. So yes, I'd agree it's probably a bad idea to buy a house in a city with unlimited land at the peak, just prior to a major recession.

Longterm though, rents always do go up. In Calgary, in particular, a random 10 year sample isn't representative. You're better off looking at 30+ years.
Property tax always goes up too. So do utilities. So do renovation costs and maintenance expenses. Your insurance might go down though. If you don't use it. Anything on a thirty year time line will be effected by inflation too.
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 04:39 PM   #475
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Property tax always goes up too. So do utilities. So do renovation costs and maintenance expenses. Your insurance might go down though. If you don't use it.Anything on a thirty year time line will be effected by inflation too.
HA! ha ha! HAHAHAHAHA!
nope.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:45 PM   #476
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
HA! ha ha! HAHAHAHAHA!
nope.
Mine dropped .90 cents this year! .90 sweet sweet cents. So yeah...joke's on you man!
Old 05-24-2017, 04:46 PM   #477
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Please tell me who you are with, mine went up about $250, never had a claim.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:48 PM   #478
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Property tax always goes up too. So do utilities. So do renovation costs and maintenance expenses. Your insurance might go down though. If you don't use it. Anything on a thirty year time line will be effected by inflation too.
Home Insurance? I dont think my home insurance has ever gone down and I've never made a claim.

Its not like over time they've presumed that I've become a more responsible home-owner and am thus less likely to experience the kinds of things that static buildings tend to experience.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:58 PM   #479
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mine dropped .90 cents this year! .90 sweet sweet cents. So yeah...joke's on you man!
How can it drop nine-tenths of a cent?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2017, 06:19 PM   #480
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
How can it drop nine-tenths of a cent?
Cause I don't have a cent symbol on my phone. It mucked up my whole thing.

Wawanesa is the broker I think. But the difference is very minimal flood insurance. It's an acreage with super minimal coverage all around.

Or I live in a car and just got the good driver discount.

The urge to own proper is pretty strong. A friend just sold in auburn bay, lost 110k and is going to do it all over again. We had the rent vs own discussion and he gets it. But he's just not into other people's houses. I hope this one works out.