Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #281
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
Then, you're lying. Average RoR for Canadian equity in 2016 was 6.4%. How did you beat the market?
Erase the decimal point.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #282
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Then, you're lying. Average RoR for Canadian equity in 2016 was 6.4%. How did you beat the market?
I'd also like to point out that this was in a good year, not a bad one.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:55 PM   #283
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A person who wants to have a family? It's great that you can get a 1 bedroom for $400k, but how then how do you make the next step up?

Once again it can be done...pour all money into savings age 18-25, buy condo age 25, buy house in undesirable neighbourhood age 33, buy actual house age 40.

This was not the experience a generation ago. It was more like buy house age 25.
I have four kids. I had 3 before I was 30.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 04:56 PM   #284
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by V View Post
I have four kids. I had 3 before I was 30.
I am in awe of your fecundity.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 04:57 PM   #285
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well, they suffered from you.
I was the careful one who took pains to never be openly defiant (or to get caught at least). My sister, on the other hand...
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 05:00 PM   #286
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But 6.4% was the right answer, and 7% wasn't.

To be clear, I am not complaining. I invest a lot of my savings, and I do okay, but there is some absolute nonsensical bragging going on this thread with basically circumstantial and anecdotal evidence being offered.
Why was 6.4% the right answer? Because one article presented that number?

Historically, equities have delivered about inflation + 5 to 6% (except during the high inflation years that destroyed returns).

Currently, dividend yields are about 2.5%.

Add historical expected growth to that and you get 2.5 + 1.5 +5 = 9%, which is about what the TSX has earned over its history.

One could argue that growth rates won't be as high as they have been in the past. It would be a bit of a dubious argument, profitability is actually quite high in recent years, but you could certainly make it.

However, to get to that 6.4%, you would have to assume growth rates of less than 2.5%.

And that would be unprecedented.

But sure, your answer was 'right'.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #287
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The TSX returned 21% last year.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #288
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Why was 6.4% the right answer? Because one article presented that number?

Historically, equities have delivered about inflation + 5 to 6% (except during the high inflation years that destroyed returns).

Currently, dividend yields are about 2.5%.

Add historical expected growth to that and you get 2.5 + 1.5 +5 = 9%, which is about what the TSX has earned over its history.

One could argue that growth rates won't be as high as they have been in the past. It would be a bit of a dubious argument, profitability is actually quite high in recent years, but you could certainly make it.

However, to get to that 6.4%, you would have to assume growth rates of less than 2.5%.

And that would be unprecedented.

But sure, your answer was 'right'.
What do you mean? GDP growth? The Canadian economy will be lucky to grow by 1% this year.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #289
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

This house is plenty for anyone to raise a family in. I lived in this neighbourhood for 10 years, by the time I moved I was living in a very similar house with three kids.

https://www.realtor.ca/Residential/S...Y1S7-Whitehorn

A lifetime family home for under $400k.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #290
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever_Iggy View Post
This really is counter to my experience. I don't invest in anything fancy - mutual funds, basic indexes, etc - through SunLife. I just looked back at my previous 6 years and I averaged 15.6% ROR. The past 3 years (the "downturn") has been 13.7 (2014), 9.9 (2015) and 12.26 (2016).

These are not GICs and therefore not guaranteed, but if you're blown away by 7% ROR, I agree, find a new investment advisor.
There was an article here in Australia about housing price growth over the last 20yrs in the City I live, it was 3-4% growth per year. Looking at the ASX200 growth over the same period it was 3-4%. Seemed about right. Difference between the two asset classes was the leverage you get in a home multiplies that 3-4% to 12-16% when levered 4:1.

Warren Buffet also recently won "The Bet" against the hedge funds. The premise was that his S&P index fund could outperform any hedge fund in the US over a 10yr period. In the 9th year his cumulative return has been 85.4% (7.1%/yr) with the closest hedge fund at 62.8% and the other competitors significantly below that.

http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2016ltr.pdf (Pg 20-22 for The Bet)

Clever Iggy you seem to be doing quite well. Over the last 6yrs the S&P fund in Buffet's bet has returned 12.4%/yr. Even subtracting management fees 0.14% for Vanguard and 2-3% for Sun Life.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:04 PM   #291
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The TSX returned 21% last year.
You run a financial company?

http://www.moneysense.ca/save/invest...rns-are-a-lie/

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...article536314/
Old 05-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #292
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

VTI:US has returned over 7% over the last 10 years, and that included the meltdown in '08. It also has a 1.7% dividend that you can re-invest.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:06 PM   #293
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
VTI:US has returned over 7% over the last 10 years, and that included the meltdown in '08. It also has a 1.7% dividend that you can re-invest.
If you are regularly beating bench-marks, then you are either a criminal or incredibly lucky.

For goodness sake, I have a CFA 1 and I work in marketing, and I know this stuff. I barely passed Grade 12 math, and I get that the law of averages applies for a reason.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:08 PM   #294
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey, I'm just arguing the idea that 7% is laughable. Total market index is almost 9% over the last 10 years even when you include the financial meltdown.

There is nothing wrong with setting 7% as a target.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #295
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
There was an article here in Australia about housing price growth over the last 20yrs in the City I live, it was 3-4% growth per year. Looking at the ASX200 growth over the same period it was 3-4%. Seemed about right. Difference between the two asset classes was the leverage you get in a home multiplies that 3-4% to 12-16% when levered 4:1.

Warren Buffet also recently won "The Bet" against the hedge funds. The premise was that his S&P index fund could outperform any hedge fund in the US over a 10yr period. In the 9th year his cumulative return has been 85.4% (7.1%/yr) with the closest hedge fund at 62.8% and the other competitors significantly below that.

http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2016ltr.pdf (Pg 20-22 for The Bet)

Clever Iggy you seem to be doing quite well. Over the last 6yrs the S&P fund in Buffet's bet has returned 12.4%/yr. Even subtracting management fees 0.14% for Vanguard and 2-3% for Sun Life.
Interesting read. As I said in my follow up post, I am an inactive investor for the majority of my investment portfolio. The part that I do play with, my returns are more moderate and I would have been better just lumping it into the bulk of my investments.

My posts weren't meant to brag or take a side. It was more to point out my nativity on the matter and that my experience was different than another posters. Since we are dealing largely with anecdotal examples, I offered mine.
Clever_Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:10 PM   #296
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hey, I'm just arguing the idea that 7% is laughable. Total market index is almost 9% over the last 10 years even when you include the financial meltdown.

There is nothing wrong with setting 7% as a target.
If you are a hobbyist with your own ETF portfolio, then it probably isn't super unreasonable. Most investors are pretty passive - myself absolutely included.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:12 PM   #297
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's one index fund. Total market. Just set it to automatically re-invest your dividends and you're done. You can't possibly get more couch potato than this.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:15 PM   #298
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you are regularly beating bench-marks, then you are either a criminal or incredibly lucky.

For goodness sake, I have a CFA 1 and I work in marketing, and I know this stuff. I barely passed Grade 12 math, and I get that the law of averages applies for a reason.
That's just not true. A CFA is no more a ticket to market beating results than operating a successful car wash guarantees you a permanently clean car. If you want to beat the market, study that. It quite often comes down to risk management. But there are people, lots of people, who can and do beat the market year after year. It's no fluke, luck or gamble.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:17 PM   #299
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
That's just not true. A CFA is no more a ticket to market beating results than operating a successful car wash guarantees you a permanently clean car. If you want to beat the market, study that. It quite often comes down to risk management. But there are people, lots of people, who can and do beat the market year after year. It's no fluke, luck or gamble.
No, I know. I was mocking my paltry lack of financial knowledge. The CFA Level 1 is just a giant grade 10 math test.

Your last sentence is totally false. People do beat the market, but it is a fluke. It has to be a fluke. You increase your risk, you increase your payout. It is luck.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:27 PM   #300
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No, I know. I was mocking my paltry lack of financial knowledge. The CFA Level 1 is just a giant grade 10 math test.

Your last sentence is totally false. People do beat the market, but it is a fluke. It has to be a fluke. You increase your risk, you increase your payout. It is luck.
It's not. You're wrong. Proof abounds. If you're genuinely curious I'll prove it. If not...6.4% ain't all that bad. Better than a kick in the pants.