Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:
Default Someone left poison out...probably for dogs

I'm walking my dog on the path behind our house and see 9-10 chlorine pucks deliberately left on a rock. I can think of no other reason but that they were left by a psycho to poison animals...probably dogs (although I doubt any dog would ever try to eat anything like a chlorine puck)

So I'm curious what you would all would do, I doubt that the cops would care. And I plan to put up notices in the community...but what else can you do?

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #2
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whats DESS been up to these days?
Old 04-27-2010, 12:59 AM   #3
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Are you sure they aren't large breathmints?
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to algernon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2010, 06:12 AM   #4
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are a lot more effective ways to poison an animal than a chlorine puck.

If you come across a bowl of antifreeze or a big chunk of raw meat, then I would be concerned. Until then, consider this a perfect excuse to ignore the laws against urinating in public.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
Byrns
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That's one dumb psycho if he was trying to poison a dog using chlorine pucks stacked on a rock.
Byrns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
Poison
First Line Centre

Exp:

No im here.......What i miss????
Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #7
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

What area was this in?
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #8
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

How did you get from seeing piss pucks to thinking they were left there intentionally in order to poison dogs?
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2010, 09:10 AM   #9
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was a story on the news this morning that there was poison being scattered for gopher/squirrel control and people were upset that dogs and cats may end up eating them. Perhaps that is what you tripped across.

Edit - a quick search finds this in the Sun
Quote:
It’s a poison designed to kill prairie dogs — but the planting of a deadly toxin at Calgary off-leash parks has triggered public fears over the potential impact on real dogs.
http://www.calgarysun.com/news/colum.../13728406.html
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #10
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
There was a story on the news this morning that there was poison being scattered for gopher/squirrel control and people were upset that dogs and cats may end up eating them. Perhaps that is what you tripped across.

If it's like other rodent poison wouldn't the animal have to eat 10x's it's own body weight in poison? I remember we had a mouse problem (or a mouse disaster, depending on your view of the little greasy demons), and that was one thing the pest control guy mentioned.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post

On the edge of a small town in central Alberta, my dog Blackie - a black lab - came home sick one night, foaming at the mouth. I was just a boy. My dad took the dog to the vet and I never saw Blackie again . . . . strychnine poisoning.

The neighbour with the field across the street denied it but apparently he'd been putting out poison to kill gophers.

So . . . . . lots of things wrong with my story . . . . don't let your dog wander around town or fields by itself and, the flip side, don't be out leaving poison around that's going to get into the food chain. But that was also a long, long time ago in a different era.

It's a terrible thing for a small boy to see his best friend dying. It was many decades before I wanted a dog around again.

People need to be more careful.

Cowperson
Old 04-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #12
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Yes...it probably was a very dumb person who left these out since I can't imagine any animal finding them tasty. The one thing better than a psycho is an incompetent psycho.

I know I am assuming that these were left out maliciously, but I can't think of any other reason for these to be right by a place that has dozens of dogs and other critters go by every day (its in Redwood Meadows)

Here is a picture of them from the path...I took most of them away before taking the pictures.

Here is a closeup of a few of them...

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT

Last edited by Fozzie_DeBear; 04-27-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #13
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowperson View Post
On the edge of a small town in central Alberta, my dog Blackie - a black lab - came home sick one night, foaming at the mouth. I was just a boy. My dad took the dog to the vet and I never saw Blackie again . . . . strychnine poisoning.

The neighbour with the field across the street denied it but apparently he'd been putting out poison to kill gophers.

So . . . . . lots of things wrong with my story . . . . don't let your dog wander around town or fields by itself and, the flip side, don't be out leaving poison around that's going to get into the food chain. But that was also a long, long time ago in a different era.

It's a terrible thing for a small boy to see his best friend dying. It was many decades before I wanted a dog around again.

People need to be more careful.

Cowperson
Did the dog eat a gopher that had been poisoned by the strychnine? Usually strychnine is mixed with oats when it is being used for gopher poisoning. The oats are spooned down into the gopher hole.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #14
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Sun
It’s a poison designed to kill prairie dogs — but the planting of a deadly toxin at Calgary off-leash parks has triggered public fears over the potential impact on real dogs.
That's hilarious. Thank god it only affects those fake prairie dogs.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote