Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-08-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Batteries online

What's a good option for buying batteries online? My security cameras use unusual batteries that are $25 at The Source and $12 for two at Home Depot.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 05-08-2017 at 11:35 AM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I usually use Amazon, but that's for their regular stuff. What's the model of the battery?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
What's a good option for buying batteries online? My security cameras use unusual batteries that are $25 each at The Source and about half that price at Home Depot but that's still horribly expensive.
Amazon? I'm not sure what battery you're looking for, but Amazon has quite a few odd shaped batteries.

For instance, I buy CR2032 batteries for my car key and often times can get between 3-6 of them for the price I'd pay for 1 at some stores for a name brand I recognize (not some complete generic brand).
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't have one with me now but I think it's a 3V lithium 123. I just checked and it's $12 for two at Home Depot so not as expensive as I thought. I don't mind that price.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 05-08-2017 at 11:36 AM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

https://www.amazon.ca/Energizer-EL12...er+Lithium+123

If you are in a rush:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/...10483172.aspx?

$3-4 each seems much better.

(I was able to reply quickly as I had made a guess as to the batteries- a friend switched from what you are using to something hard wired due to the pain of always changing the batteries.)
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Just a warning about Amazon, I have considered buying those type of batteries before via Amazon but some of the reviews scared me off.

Issues like:

No retail packaging. Could not tell if they were brand new or used as they were not in a sealed package.
Batteries close to their expiration date.
Batteries dying after some light usage.

You might luck out and get a good seller, but the problem with Amazon and these type of batteries is they are actually sold by a 3rd party and just distributed by Amazon.

The ones ken0042 linked appear to actually be sold by Amazon though, so they should be a safe buy.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Just a warning about Amazon, I have considered buying those type of batteries before via Amazon but some of the reviews scared me off.

Issues like:

No retail packaging. Could not tell if they were brand new or used as they were not in a sealed package.

You might luck out and get a good seller, but the problem with Amazon and these type of batteries is they are actually sold by a 3rd party and just distributed by Amazon.

The ones ken0042 linked appear to actually be sold by Amazon though, so they should be a safe buy.
Yup, when you search just filter the results by Amazon Prime. Even if you don't have a Prime membership, it'll only show you stuff sold directly by Amazon
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:25 PM   #8
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Yup, when you search just filter the results by Amazon Prime. Even if you don't have a Prime membership, it'll only show you stuff sold directly by Amazon
Does it though? I have seen items marked with prime that come from 3rd party retailers like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:27 PM   #9
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Does it though? I have seen items marked with prime that come from 3rd party retailers like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new
Those are still orders that are fulfilled by Amazon though, you'd get the same warranty and customer support as you would from Amazon
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #10
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Issues like:

Usually, I view it as being able to get bonus batteries for the price I'd normally pay for them at a Walmart, Bestbuy etc. Amazon will listen to complaints within about a 30 day window (especially if you're a Prime member). By then you'd have an idea whether you got a set of lemons or a good value and can either choose to return or complain to Amazon/retailer to see if you can receive a discount on the batteries. Amazon will listen to concerns even if it was through a 3rd party. They consider 3rd party very much a part of their entire experience. It boggles my mind how many individuals just suck it up as a lost cause. I complain to Amazon every single time if it's for a value $5 or greater. 10-30% discount, keep the item and get full refund etc. are common results within the 30 day window.

I think I've received batteries that say something like, "Use by X date" and the date is about a year and half away at worst. I've never received expired or near expired batteries. That being said, batteries past the expiry date aren't automatically duds. I've used expired batteries before and I didn't notice much issues other than having to replace a little earlier than a normal battery. I have never received batteries without retail packaging. That's super weird especially since those coin batteries are sold in strips and you just use the corrugated sections to tear away the necessary amounts of batteries you need.

Looking into my purchase history, eCarmel and Premier Sales (Canada) were the retailers on Amazon that I acquired from and I haven't had any issues with any of those batteries. I also specifically chose the Sony options which IMO have much less issues than some other brands including Energizer, Panasonic etc. Each time, the batteries were mailed in an envelope with cardboard. I believe eCarmel went as far as to include hand written notes thanking me for the patronage to contact them if there were issues with the batteries. But you can also look at the ratings on Amazon in the same way you do your due diligence on Ebay.

I am not trying to convert anyone to going out of their comfort zone though. I'm 3/3 for good batches of batteries on Amazon and I realized I need to order another set right now to keep as back up. I've gotten way worse sets from other retail sites, but not so bad that I wouldn't call it worse value than paying extra for less batteries from other brick and mortar retailers.

Last edited by DoubleF; 05-08-2017 at 02:00 PM.
DoubleF is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries , online retailers