Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-26-2017, 07:49 PM   #6661
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Man, you guys are too much. Anything to disparage a cyclist, I guess. We are all dicks.
There we go.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 07:50 PM   #6662
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You can't stand in the middle of the road, and it poses significant safety hazards. Is standing on a pedestrian bridge or cycle path the same in terms of legality and person danger?

Why don't you use the road? It's probably the best place to avoid pedestrians.

I'm only playing devil's advocate here. As Calgary grows people are going to have to get used to landmarks being busy and inconvenient.
Yes, that's a fantastic idea. I should ride 6 blocks out of my way and cross the 10th st ridge with traffic. Surly that wouldn't piss anyone off. Or I could use the infrastructure that was built for that purpose.

Look, I get that people take pictures and walk on the pathway. Which is why I ride cautiously. My issue is with the people, who, despite being notified that other users are attempting to get by don't even raise their heads to see if they can make room. Like I said, I wasn't the only one trying to find a way through. It is a very busy bridge, which is why it was smartly designed to separate pedestrians and cyclists.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:58 PM   #6663
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You guys just have to prove something, eh? There were probably 10 different groups, all taking pictures. They gave zero heed to anyone else. I cross this bridge twice a day, and people are always taking pictures. 95% of the time they are respectful, and the ones being photographed stand on one side, and the photographer stands on the other, and they take pictures in between people going down the middle.

Why is it they have a right to prevent people from passing? If I had not escalated to the horn, my alternatives were to stop, get off my bike, and elbow my way through, or plow in to them. Oh, and the person that caused me to use my horn was looking at their phone, not taking a picture.

Man, you guys are too much. Anything to disparage a cyclist, I guess. We are all dicks.
Stopping for 15-20 seconds is too much to ask? You're an important man.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:17 PM   #6664
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

First time posting a gear grinder (I think).

WGMG is how as a society we've grown so impatient and self-centered that even the most insignificant of issues brings out the crazy in any of us.

Not to pick on Fuzz, but in this thread we're going back and forth over a minor, insignificant delay in a commute home.

In the golf thread, there is outrage from some that a golf round should take more than 3.5 or 4 hours. A 4.5 hour round is rage inducing.

There are threads over street parking with some insisting they are entitled to the spot in from or their home and are apoplectic if they can't access that space.

I could go on and on.

To the bike commuters: Why not slow down or stop to allow a tourist or a grad class to take a photo. The tourists will appreciate the friendliness and the grads will get that photo to mark this right of passage.

To the golfers: As I mentioned in that thread. If the pace of play is slow, stop to smell the roses or appreciate the scenery. You're out on a beautiful day with your buddies! By all means educate players that aren't aware of ready golf but accept that some golfers have other reasons they may not move as quickly as you'd like.

To everyone: I don't know if it's city life or what but it wouldn't kill any of us if we were a little more patient, compassionate and empathic to others. Are life's annoyances really something to get so worked up about? I'm just as guilty as anyone about losing my #### over nothing but I recognize that and try to work on it. We all should.

I can't remember who said it I like it and think it's largely true. It goes something like:

1. Don't sweat the small ####.
2. It's all small ####
The Following User Says Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2017, 08:18 PM   #6665
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default You Know What Really Grinds My Gears Part V

It's a legitimate gear grinder, and if it was a bunch of tourists loitering around in the +15, taking pictures of the Bow Building, everybody would in full agreement of what crappy, dregs of humanity those people are.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 08:20 PM   #6666
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

I'm with Fuzz, teenagers should be killed and made into cheap, nutritious pet food. You can disagree, but that's because you're objectively wrong. Miscreants and lollygagging scum!
Old 05-26-2017, 08:21 PM   #6667
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
It's a legitimate gear grinder, and if it was a bunch of tourists loitering around in the +15, taking pictures of the Bow Building, everybody would in full agreement of what crappy, dregs of humanity those people are.
Welcome to Calgary?