Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2023, 08:07 PM   #221
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

First day back in the gym after far too long and I feel great!
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2023, 01:22 PM   #222
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I've been able to jog/run again in the last few months after about 4 years of not being able to due to knee issues. Lots of rehab (physio, yoga, weight training etc).

I went vehicle-less in August and have biked quite a bit but as the weather turns, I've started running more. Last week i ran to work, I ran to the gym, I ran to pickup takeout from a restaurant, I'm starting to feel like Forest Gump. Instead of walking 30 minutes to work and being bored (when I don't bike) why not run and get there in half the time and feel like I got a workout? I'm really enjoying it.

I know some people who know me think I'm becoming even more weird since my breakup in August (my ex of 12 years split and I live alone now) since I dont have a car and bike and run everywhere as a 40 year old lawyer, but I really regret not living this way before. I'm really, really enjoying it.

Does anyone else run to get places?
I'll walk to my local craft brewery (a little over 5K, so maybe 10-11K return), as I won't have one of their IPAs and drive. Not worth the risk.

I'll park and walk anywhere downtown (unless it's freakin' cold or too rainy).

I have a friend that has never owned a car (not sure if he has a drivers license) and bikes/runs everywhere. If he has a marathon across town? Bike there, run the marathon, bike home.

For me, it's way harder to live a car-free lifestyle as I live in a small town. I tend to work in Downtown Sydney most days, my office is in North Sydney, make frequent appearances in Wagmatcook, and Gardner Mines. Throw in dropping kids off at school and daycare. Yeah, it's just not in the CARds if you will.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 01:25 PM   #223
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it weird that gyms don't have on their websites what equipment they have, and how it works?

I've been cataloging what machines my local YMCA has, and putting together a spreadsheet and word document of what's there, what muscles it works, weights, etc.

Then YouTube to learn more about it.

Perhaps once I get this pet project in place I'll post here what I've got. I have no real plan when I go to the gym other than "let's start at this machine and work my way through what I'm familiar with".

Now that I'm getting a greater familiarity of what's there, I'll start to work out a plan for the week.

Old 11-06-2023, 02:07 PM   #224
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I do think that's weird, Maritime. I agree.

I've always thought it would be cool to open up a central (downtown) 'free weight' gym. A singular space dedicated to only free weights, benches, squat racks, deadlift platforms, dip/chin up/pull up bars, and aerobic equipment like medicine balls, jump ropes, steps, weight sleds, and running turf. No machines; a place just dedicated to those who are looking for intermediate / advanced training through free-weighted, compound movements.

The rationale is that this type of equipment is always busy at regular gyms, so provide a centralized place that abundantly caters to only this type of equipment - ie. not three bench press benches, but 15. I think there'd definitely be a market for it.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2023, 02:26 PM   #225
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post

I've always thought it would be cool to open up a central (downtown) 'free weight' gym. A singular space dedicated to only free weights, benches, squat racks, deadlift platforms, dip/chin up/pull up bars, and aerobic equipment like medicine balls, jump ropes, steps, weight sleds, and running turf. No machines; a place just dedicated to those who are looking for intermediate / advanced training through free-weighted, compound movements.

The rationale is that this type of equipment is always busy at regular gyms, so provide a centralized place that abundantly caters to only this type of equipment - ie. not three bench press benches, but 15. I think there'd definitely be a market for it.
Plus, the start up costs would be a lot lower than buying a bunch of machines, cable racks, etc.
Old 11-06-2023, 04:26 PM   #226
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:

You're best bet is probably one of two options:

1. A dedicated powerlifting/strength/olympics lifting gym; or
2. Crossfit gyms. Some crossfit gyms will allow people to rent time with the weights outside of class time.

If you want a gym where fewer people are using the higher end equipment, those definitely exist. They tend to cost more though.

https://www.thestrengthedge.com/Home/TheGym
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 09:01 AM   #227
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
100%. What motivates me consistently is four things:
  • I pay for a gym membership, so I use it to get my money's worth.
  • I like being around like-minded people; the environment and visuals of other people dedicating themselves to fitness motivates me.
  • I had a trainer once, so I have seen that results are absolutely possible if you dedicate yourself.
  • Once you're in that rhythm after a couple weeks, the training 'high', the mental clarity, the increased energy and the physical change to you body becomes addictive.
That last bullet is probably the most important. It's like a car in motion - takes a lot of energy to start and build momentum, but once you're cruising at a high speed, it gets easier and more efficient and the results come quickly.
I was the opposite. Unlimited gym uses for 12 months and I went a total of like 20 times in a year. I had some sort of nagging yips like injury and it was part of the reason why I made an excuse not to go.

Getting into the right zone for another activity and then adding the gym to it, I went 30 times in 45 days. But this one is also a little weird. I also signed up to a gym that conveniently nearby and was open 24 hours. I'd often go if I was having trouble sleeping and it felt really good to go at the dead of night. It definitely helped me to go to sleep.

I don't go to the gym anymore. I'm just more into the calisthenics/yoga type activities and outdoor or sports activities than weights and machines. That's the stuff that interests me and allows me to continue on. It's always funny and stupid to do "kid yoga" on Youtube and use that as a warm up with my kids before putting them to bed.

The day I can no longer lift and carry my kids on my shoulders for 15-20+ minutes at a time, I'll be very sad.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 12:25 PM   #228
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
First day back in the gym after far too long and I feel great!

Lets see how you feel tomorrow? lol

Congrats on getting back at it.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 01:10 PM   #229
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
Lets see how you feel tomorrow? lol

Congrats on getting back at it.
Yep, not unfamiliar with extended gym breaks, so the expected soreness is a constant reminder to not do that again hahaha

Back this morning, first day of squats. It's shocking how sore you can get off little baby squats, when not having done them for a while, regardless of activity level otherwise... I've been doing about 250-300km per week on the Peloton for the last 6+ months, so it's not like my legs have been completely inactive, yet I know those single plate squats (both sets of 8 ) will be giving me trouble on the stairs tomorrow
Old 11-07-2023, 06:10 PM   #230
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yep, not unfamiliar with extended gym breaks, so the expected soreness is a constant reminder to not do that again hahaha

Back this morning, first day of squats. It's shocking how sore you can get off little baby squats, when not having done them for a while, regardless of activity level otherwise... I've been doing about 250-300km per week on the Peloton for the last 6+ months, so it's not like my legs have been completely inactive, yet I know those single plate squats (both sets of 8 ) will be giving me trouble on the stairs tomorrow
I recall reading a comment on CP that someone said if you do hot or cold exposure after workouts that the recovery would be faster and you'd be less likely to be sore. I haven't found good articles about this... but it does feel like it logically makes sense.
Old 11-07-2023, 06:30 PM   #231
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah if you take an ice bath right after an intense resistance workout, it's terrific for your muscles apparently... agonizing, but effective haha. I follow some fitness Insta accounts that have pro athlete clients, and they preach it. The question is where do you regularly get an ice bath - unless you're brave enough to jump into an Alberta lake or river for a couple mins.
Old 11-07-2023, 07:02 PM   #232
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Let's be clear - the workout was (intentionally) not intense and the soreness I'm experiencing is the result of months of laziness!
Old 11-07-2023, 09:01 PM   #233
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah if you take an ice bath right after an intense resistance workout, it's terrific for your muscles apparently... agonizing, but effective haha. I follow some fitness Insta accounts that have pro athlete clients, and they preach it. The question is where do you regularly get an ice bath - unless you're brave enough to jump into an Alberta lake or river for a couple mins.
Well some people have cold plunge pools for this. One guy I know used a cattle water trough with a heater to keep it just unfrozen last winter (he built some cedar around it, so it looks nicer!). And if you don’t want to do this kind of thing, a cold shower is an option as well.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 09:54 PM   #234
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Let's be clear - the workout was (intentionally) not intense and the soreness I'm experiencing is the result of months of laziness!
The best way to get rid of DOMS is to just workout more regularly. I focus my workout on squats. I took a month off for a vacation. First time back I was walking around for a week like I'd just gotten out of prison. After about two weeks I was back to my typical one day of milder soreness. You just kind of have to fight through it and walk that balance and not overdo it.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2023, 10:08 PM   #235
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Does Nordic spa count? The day I went it was -25C with windchill and snowing. My hair froze. I felt like Sanka from Cool runnings with all the ice on my head from the water and steam. I felt bad for the bald guys. Sauna, -25, cold pool, -25, hot tub etc. It felt really good with the really hot and cold alternating... And then getting a massage. Super cold days are worth going IMO. I walked in thinking spa days are dumb, but walked out having enjoyed myself more than my wife did that day.

What we also did was roll in the snow and jump back into the hot tub. But... If argue that was more alcohol shenanigans than muscle recovery after a day on the hills.

Cold showers work fine. Slightly cooler than room temp is OK too (ie: swimming pools). If I’m not feeling like a cold shock temp shower, I'll go back and forth between slightly cool to steamy hot shower. Even though it feels quite good afterwards, I dread that cold shock response.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2023, 10:43 PM   #236
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

And if you're older, regular cold showers are also really good in elevating the ol' testosterone levels too!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2023, 08:44 AM   #237
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The best way to get rid of DOMS is to just workout more regularly. I focus my workout on squats. I took a month off for a vacation. First time back I was walking around for a week like I'd just gotten out of prison. After about two weeks I was back to my typical one day of milder soreness. You just kind of have to fight through it and walk that balance and not overdo it.
Yeah, I mean, I've probably worked out (weights) an average of of 5-6 days per week for about 25 years now, so I'm no stranger to working out "more regularly". But every once in a while, life gets in the way and after an extended break (seems like anything over a month or so will do it) and the first few sessions back feel like starting from zero. With some travel, and summer holidays and some work stuff, it's been since the end of May for me this time... You're totally right... a little bit of balance and a couple weeks of pain and everything should be right as rain.
Old 11-08-2023, 09:46 AM   #238
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And if you're older, regular cold showers are also really good in elevating the ol' testosterone levels too!

On this note, I just listened to an Andrew Huberman podcast with Dr Michael Eisenberg regarding all things around ol testosterone and male fertility etc.
A little boring of an episode but good substance.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 06:08 PM   #239
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Does anyone log their progress?

I just kinda do my thing, but I wouldn't mind an app that would log my workouts.

Old 11-18-2023, 07:15 PM   #240
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Almost all my stuff goes to Strava automatically. I use my Garmin for swims, runs (outdoor & indoor), and outdoor bikes. Zwift for indoor bike smart trainer is also hooked up to Strava. When I do weight training, I create a manual entry in the Strava app.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote