Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2014, 02:28 PM   #21
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was really hoping Jones would show something this year because Flames are stuck with him for another season and you just hope that he's not going to be one of those guys impeding progress of younger players that could take up his spot without much or any drop off.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:34 PM   #22
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jones can play well when he's healthy. I just don't think he's ever had a run of games, at least not recently, to show any consistent play.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #23
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburgler View Post
not to jump on the I hate Setoguchi train, but why not waive him? Jooris has obviously outperformed him.
Not that I actually think this is what they should do in this case, the answer would be keeping Setoguchi for now, and sending Jooris back to the minors right now give the team more time to figure out the long term picture or / what slash how to maximise their assets. Waive Seto now, might lose him for nothing (which maybe all he's worth anyways, so who cares).

Regardless, sending Jooris or Gaudreau down now buys the team time if they think they might need it. And to be honest, both those guys would still probably grow in the AHL so it's not like it would be a complete waste for them, but there definitely are other downsides if the Flames go that route.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:47 PM   #24
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe we see a Gaudreau - Monahan - Jooris line tomorrow?
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #25
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Regardless, sending Jooris or Gaudreau down now buys the team time if they think they might need it.
imagine that. CP would explode
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #26
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
imagine that. CP would explode
I know, potentially worth it for the entertainment value, but I'd be shocked if that happened at this point. Seto or Jooris are heading down would be my guess.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:18 PM   #27
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boy, the Montreal game might get ugly.
Old 10-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #28
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Jones will sprain his ankle on the way to the dressing room.

We should waive Seto anyways and call up Ferland. 7 points in 8 games and leading the team with a +6.
Ferland was an absolute standout in the preseason game against Colorado and was deservedly named first star in a 2-1 game, in which he scored both goals for Calgary.

Ferland was so good, he had people sitting in the lower bowl near us asking us questions like, where did he play last year? is he a rookie? when was he drafted? etc...

Ferland's preseason and his start in Addy shows he deserves to be called up, so now it's just a question of how soon.
iamca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:50 PM   #29
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Not that I actually think this is what they should do in this case, the answer would be keeping Setoguchi for now, and sending Jooris back to the minors right now give the team more time to figure out the long term picture or / what slash how to maximise their assets. Waive Seto now, might lose him for nothing (which maybe all he's worth anyways, so who cares).

Regardless, sending Jooris or Gaudreau down now buys the team time if they think they might need it. And to be honest, both those guys would still probably grow in the AHL so it's not like it would be a complete waste for them, but there definitely are other downsides if the Flames go that route.
I actually thought Gaudreau was the best Flame in the Washington game. His confidence seems to be growing by leaps and bounds. Addy would probably be glad to get him.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #30
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flu vaccine has been available since the 6th at least. I hope it's not the flu because that would be incompetence
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:04 PM   #31
Johnny Hockey
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
Flu vaccine has been available since the 6th at least. I hope it's not the flu because that would be incompetence
Let's take it down a notch. It takes up to two weeks for the body to start developing antibodies for the influenza vaccine, and even then you can still contract the flu.
Johnny Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:14 PM   #32
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
I actually thought Gaudreau was the best Flame in the Washington game. His confidence seems to be growing by leaps and bounds. Addy would probably be glad to get him.
He was one of the hardest workers, certainly, but plays went nowhere when he had the puck and four shots in nine games simply is not good enough. Gaudreau needs to simplify his game. He's doing things top down - trying stuff that worked in college and discovering it doesn't in the NHL - rather than just focusing on the basics and expanding out. He'll figure it out though. Kid's too smart not to.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:21 PM   #33
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
He was one of the hardest workers, certainly, but plays went nowhere when he had the puck and four shots in nine games simply is not good enough. Gaudreau needs to simplify his game. He's doing things top down - trying stuff that worked in college and discovering it doesn't in the NHL - rather than just focusing on the basics and expanding out. He'll figure it out though. Kid's too smart not to.
Couldn't disagree more. I've watched very closely the last few games every time he's on the ice the most common theme is his line has next to no possession time. I don't know if it's an abundance of face-off losses or line-mates, but nearly every time the kid is on the ice the Flames are chasing after the puck. And no, I don't think it's because of him. On the rare occasions he does have the puck, he's clearly one of our best players with it, and almost always makes quick smart plays / passes.

I think he's going to need more time and hopefully he'll see some continuity with the same line mates once the right combination is found and some chemistry will develop.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #34
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah ^ I'm getting sick of Gaudreau constantly being on the 'chasing' line. Last couple games literally every time he gets the puck he's dumping it in the opposition's end as his line is about to change. Move him up the damn line up already. We're not doing enough with the puck as is, might as well let the player with the most creativity and skill do his thing on a line that can actually generate chances.

Try him with Stajan and Glencross even. At least they manage to get the puck deep and grind out some chances on most shifts.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #35
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I believe a big help for gaudreau would be if his line had better puck moving defensemen when he is on the ice. He seems to be out there with Smid and engelland a lot. Tough for them to get the puck on his stick and help keep pressure in the offensive zone. It would be perfect if he had gio and Brodie but Hartley is very particular about protecting Johnny's matchups and gio/Brodie are out against the top players.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
FBI
Old 10-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #36
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Gaudreau's biggest problem is the lack of talent around him. He just thinks the game at a different level than anybody else we have offensively.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:59 PM   #37
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I think Gaudreau's biggest problem is the lack of talent around him. He just thinks the game at a different level than anybody else we have offensively.
I don't get this line of thinking? The players he is playing with now are probably the best players he has ever played with. Do you think his college line mates were better than NHL players?

I like Gaudreau as much as the next guy, but some of you make it like he needs to be on a line with Crosby.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2014, 10:33 PM   #38
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll start by saying how much I hate every thread turning into a Gaudreau thread. I love the kid and believe he's going to be a star. Collectively, though, we need to relax and let the process play out.

The right play here is to send Jooris down, and take a look at Setoguchi and Jones after 20-30gp and make a choice.

Remember that Wideman was written off by most people, but is now looking like he might have trade value in a week or 2, when teams are struggling and starting to get desperate. I want to see the kids too, but be patient, and let the process play out. Things ARE MOST DEFINITELY GETTING BETTER!!!
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:43 PM   #39
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
I believe a big help for gaudreau would be if his line had better puck moving defensemen when he is on the ice. He seems to be out there with Smid and engelland a lot. Tough for them to get the puck on his stick and help keep pressure in the offensive zone. It would be perfect if he had gio and Brodie but Hartley is very particular about protecting Johnny's matchups and gio/Brodie are out against the top players.
If Gaudreau regularly had Gio and Brodie on the ice with him, the team would be averaging at least one more goal/game.

I get what Hartley's doing, and with most player's it is the right course of action, but I wish he'd take a leap of faith on this kid and just let him see how far he can run with the opportunity.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 11:54 PM   #40
FusionX
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I don't get this line of thinking? The players he is playing with now are probably the best players he has ever played with. Do you think his college line mates were better than NHL players?

I like Gaudreau as much as the next guy, but some of you make it like he needs to be on a line with Crosby.
I get a similar feeling to dissentowner when I watch Gaudreau play. Often his passes seem to catch his linemates off-guard or they go to a great open-ice spot but there's no one around. But, it does make sense that he's currently playing with the most "skilled" players at the highest level he's ever played so what's the issue?

I think it's simply chemistry. I do think in terms of his college linemates, they were better suited simply because they knew and understood the way Gaudreau plays. With more time and more consistency, I think you see more production from whomever he plays with as they get to know his tendencies and what he can't/can do, a la Wideman driving the net for his goal a few games back.
FusionX is offline   Reply With Quote