Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-25-2013, 12:45 PM   #41
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Small skilled guys usually have to overcome significant obstacles to find a way to play their own game in the NHL. Much easier for a big two-way guy because you don't need to do anything special to get your time and space.
Henry Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #42
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
Small skilled guys usually have to overcome significant obstacles to find a way to play their own game in the NHL. Much easier for a big two-way guy because you don't need to do anything special to get your time and space.
It's a big man's game just ask Sven who's hasn't exactly looked great in his 3rd camp with the Flames.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:01 PM   #43
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
According to the boxscore, Lindholm was 8/12 in the faceoff dot which is pretty impressive for a young guy. I'd still think there's some significant upside with him!
I would take Tilleys analysis of a viewed Carolina game over anything a box score in preseason says. They can't even credit goals properly.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #44
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's a big man's game just ask Sven who's hasn't exactly looked great in his 3rd camp with the Flames.
He hasn't even been a factor so far. I havn't even noticed him out there on most shifts. I hope the regular season he doesn't slump like this.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:48 PM   #45
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
I would take Tilleys analysis of a viewed Carolina game over anything a box score in preseason says. They can't even credit goals properly.
Fair enough...pre-season boxscores are probably about as reliable as someone posting to a message board saying a player lost every draw they saw.
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:57 PM   #46
Walter Reed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zevo View Post
Except that Perry is 6'2" and 210+ and Shinkaruk is what 5'10" and maybe 180. With that size he is a total perimeter player compared to Perry.
Not withstanding the size difference, Shinkaruk does remind me of Perry, perhaps mix in some Theo Fleury. He didn't seem intimidated by larger more experienced players and played a pesky agitating roll but also displayed some offensive skills. IMO his play was much better than highly ranked Horvat.

IKTHUS
Walter Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Walter Reed For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #47
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Just watched a Kevin Dineen interview (Florida), and he says that they've kept Barkov out of a lot of things because he just came off a long shoulder injury and I guess had felt something there again, but should play onThursday again. Not being with NHL squad doesn't sound like an option at all.
Iīve followed Florida somewhat closely since they drafted Barkov and he is definately on the squad and playing on first or second line (not sure if Florida has a legit first line). The only real question is whether itīs Gomez or Matthias who plays center on the other top line.

Barkov had immediate chemistry with Fleischman and Iīd expect when Huberdeau gets back they would line up together, which could be a really good line. I think Barkov will get every chance to fight for Calder this season if he just stays healthy.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #48
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stay Golden View Post
He hasn't even been a factor so far. I havn't even noticed him out there on most shifts. I hope the regular season he doesn't slump like this.
I wouldn't be as negative as that, but it has felt like he has been cruising a bit, which is disappointing. It's sad that he doesn't have to try his best, but it's a bad team and a very advantageous situation for someone like him.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:06 PM   #49
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Florida's got some fantastic prospects, no question.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #50
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Iīve followed Florida somewhat closely since they drafted Barkov and he is definately on the squad and playing on first or second line (not sure if Florida has a legit first line). The only real question is whether itīs Gomez or Matthias who plays center on the other top line.

Barkov had immediate chemistry with Fleischman and Iīd expect when Huberdeau gets back they would line up together, which could be a really good line. I think Barkov will get every chance to fight for Calder this season if he just stays healthy.
Yeah, Florida has terrible center depth as well. It's telling that Barkov has been out for a lot of the preseason, is coming from a long injury, just turned 18, and still it's not even debated whether or not he'll be with the Panthers. They talk about getting him ready for the real games, not about evaluating him.

It'll be rough to start the season like that and if it was anyone less mature than Barkov, I wouldn't give good odds. But I agree that he'll do fine. Never seen a readier guy at his age. Lack of quickness might still hinder him at this point but I don't see him struggling with the puck.
Old 09-25-2013, 02:37 PM   #51
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

How has Mackinnon looked? I'm tempted to take him early in my keeper draft.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 02:49 PM   #52
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Florida's got some fantastic prospects, no question.
Agreed. They have to have one of the top prospect pools in the whole league.

Quote:

It'll be rough to start the season like that and if it was anyone less mature than Barkov, I wouldn't give good odds. But I agree that he'll do fine. Never seen a readier guy at his age. Lack of quickness might still hinder him at this point but I don't see him struggling with the puck.
Lack of speed is pretty evident when you watch him but if he plays with faster guys like Hub and Fleischman, I donīt think it will be that big of an issue. His passing ability is pretty sick, he is one of those who can constantly make cross-ice passes tape to tape
Old 09-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #53
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
How has Mackinnon looked? I'm tempted to take him early in my keeper draft.
Hasnīt played a game I think. Some kind of groin injury I believe.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #54
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hip Flexor, he's back tomorrow:

http://www.denverpost.com/avalanche/...stefan-elliott

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #55
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Agreed. They have to have one of the top prospect pools in the whole league.

Lack of speed is pretty evident when you watch him but if he plays with faster guys like Hub and Fleischman, I donīt think it will be that big of an issue. His passing ability is pretty sick, he is one of those who can constantly make cross-ice passes tape to tape
Eventually it'll be like Joe Thornton; he'll control the pace. At least that's the idea. But he likes the Datsyuk game with heavy backcheck and takeaways too, and it remains to be seen if he's quick enough for that or the PK. Maybe in the future.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #56
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is Fucale looking? I assume he's going back to juniors, but I'm always interested in hearing about up and coming Canadian goalies.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #57
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
How is Fucale looking? I assume he's going back to juniors, but I'm always interested in hearing about up and coming Canadian goalies.
He was sent back to junior last week.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=682848

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:32 PM   #58
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
Fair enough...pre-season boxscores are probably about as reliable as someone posting to a message board saying a player lost every draw they saw.
It was pre-season, the stat guys may have been a little rusty . I'll be watching Lindholm closely on Friday vs Buffalo and will be able to give a better report.
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:28 PM   #59
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post
He was sent back to junior last week.

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=682848
I figured he would go back. How did he look in camp though? Did he stand out at all, or did he just look the way you would expect a goalie coming right out of juniors to look?
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #60
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilley View Post
It was pre-season, the stat guys may have been a little rusty . I'll be watching Lindholm closely on Friday vs Buffalo and will be able to give a better report.
You should watch Buffalo's defense. Don't know how their numbers work out, but apparently both Ristolainen and Zadorov could be good enough for the NHL. With Myers, that'll be such a huge top-4 in the near future.