Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2017, 02:02 PM   #301
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
Beach is not close. It's far from close. Stockton is terrible. It's a little bit danger.
Inglewood was in a crap neighborhood too. Did anyone think the Kings were in danger or subject to bad influences when they played there?

Ever been to United Centre or White Sox Stadium?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 02:21 PM   #302
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stockton is dangerous? Good.

Eat at home, go to the rink and gym, practice, eat, sleep.

Work your butt off to make it to the NHL.
Old 06-29-2017, 02:25 PM   #303
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Stockton is dangerous? Good.

Eat at home, go to the rink and gym, practice, eat, sleep.

Work your butt off to make it to the NHL.
Drinking alone in your room is regrettably another option.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 01:12 PM   #304
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

@RyanNPike: If #Flames sign Juuso Valimaki before the end of 2017, his ELC can slide twice. (He turns 19 after Sept. 15, so there's a CBA quirk there.)

@RyanNPike: In other words, he could play in the AHL in 2018-19 and his deal wouldn't start to run. Big developmental bonus for #Flames.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:02 AM   #305
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

How does Valimaki compare to liljegren?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:57 AM   #306
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
So then a Välimäki signing must be imminent, given Tri-Cities was apparently tipped off in advance? You'd think the Flames would've advised them.

That's interesting news!
FWIW there is a rule that CHL teams can go over on imports if they are NHL draft picks (may just be for first rounders), so they don't get shafted on imports if a guy goes pro. They can only play two and have to release down to two at a certain point, but they are allowed to draft additional players.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:28 AM   #307
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
@RyanNPike: If #Flames sign Juuso Valimaki before the end of 2017, his ELC can slide twice. (He turns 19 after Sept. 15, so there's a CBA quirk there.)

@RyanNPike: In other words, he could play in the AHL in 2018-19 and his deal wouldn't start to run. Big developmental bonus for #Flames.
Where does waiver eligibility fall into this mix? I mean I'm looking at Poirier/Shinkaruk being waiver-eligible next year, while Klimchuk is waiver-exempt next year, and not really feeling the advantage of the ELC slide...

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #308
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Where does waiver eligibility fall into this mix? I mean I'm looking at Poirier/Shinkaruk being waiver-eligible next year, while Klimchuk is waiver-exempt next year, and not really feeling the advantage of the ELC slide...
Guys like Poirier and Shinkaruk either step up by the time they are eligible for waivers or pass through waivers every year.

Sliding contracts are great, especially when you can have them playing pro in the AHL before their contract even kicks in ala Kylington.
Wastedyouth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #309
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
It's Stockton, not Compton. Have you ever been there? Even Oakland is looking at lot better these days.
Stockton is literally as bad as it's reputation. Compton is actually not what it used to be and is a lot safer believe it or not. Oakland has a lot of baaaaad parts.

Quote:
Beach is not close. It's far from close. Stockton is terrible. It's a little bit danger.
Yes! A Nakladal reference. That interview was so charming haha.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 09:45 AM   #310
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

This article was posted this week. 4 murders last week in Stockton. The mayor is considering a program to pay gun owners not to shoot their guns. More in the article below:

http://www.kcra.com/article/stockton...other/10267025
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 09:48 AM   #311
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

All I know about these California towns is what I learned from 90's gangsta rap.

Inglewood, up to no good.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #312
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
This article was posted this week. 4 murders last week in Stockton. The mayor is considering a program to pay gun owners not to shoot their guns. More in the article below:

http://www.kcra.com/article/stockton...other/10267025

Imagine being an NHL player in Chicago...must be super hard to funct...Oh wait 3 Championships in the past 8 years in the murder capital of the US.
There are always nice communities in ####ty cities, you do know this right?
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 09:55 AM   #313
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

unless they're playing street hockey, who cares. They're there to play hockey and if it's a crappy town then they should focus on playing hockey and training.
Old 07-07-2017, 09:58 AM   #314
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Detroit (1) , St. Louis(2) , Stockton (8) and Buffalo (10) have more violent crime per 100000 than Chicago.

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlj4.../#62326e853f39
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 10:01 AM   #315
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Imagine being an NHL player in Chicago...must be super hard to funct...Oh wait 3 Championships in the past 8 years in the murder capital of the US.
A) Chicago is a far, far larger city than Stockton. I imagine in Stockton you're never far away from the bad parts.

B) NHL players have far more resources to shelter themselves from the bad parts of Chicago. They live in swank, exclusive neighbourhoods. Go to high-end restaurants and bars. Money can insulate you from a lot.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2017, 10:56 AM   #316
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ya but point really is that Chicago has other things to do and redeeming qualities. Stockton has nothing other than lots of new cookie cutter houses all bought with pre crisis loans. It was ground zero for financial crisis. People who couldnt afford a house were able to get loans somehow. Employment is low. Not much to do. Drugs. Guns. So players stay confined...get bored.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:13 AM   #317
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ya but point really is that Chicago has other things to do and redeeming qualities. Stockton has nothing other than lots of new cookie cutter houses all bought with pre crisis loans. It was ground zero for financial crisis. People who couldnt afford a house were able to get loans somehow. Employment is low. Not much to do. Drugs. Guns. So players stay confined...get bored.
San Francisco: 1.5 Hours away
San Jose: 1.5 hours Away
Oakland: 1.25 hours away
Sacremento: <1 hour away
Lake Tahoe: 2.5 hours Away

Seems like if you know where to go there is tons to do when you have a day or two away from the rink.

Also you could literally live next door to the Arena, baseball stadium, Civic Auditorium all while having access to the waterfront and your basic necessities. I do feel there is quite a lot to do when you actually research the area.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:20 AM   #318
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
San Francisco: 1.5 Hours away
San Jose: 1.5 hours Away
Oakland: 1.25 hours away
Sacremento: <1 hour away
Lake Tahoe: 2.5 hours Away

Seems like if you know where to go there is tons to do when you have a day or two away from the rink.

Also you could literally live next door to the Arena, baseball stadium, Civic Auditorium all while having access to the waterfront and your basic necessities. I do feel there is quite a lot to do when you actually research the area.
A three hour round trip makes it inherently unfeasible to do on a regular basis while you're also being a minor pro hockey player.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:22 AM   #319
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

I wouldn't want to live in either - but I would live in Stockton over Bakersfield without question. That is one ####ed up place, unless you're a huge Buck Owens fan
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 11:32 AM   #320
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
A three hour round trip makes it inherently unfeasible to do on a regular basis while you're also being a minor pro hockey player.
I get all your points and they are valid, I am just saying there is quite a lot to do if you have the time. As a minor hockey league player you may not but would this not be the same in say Bakersfield?

I understand there is less crime there but it almost seems like a bunch of posters on a message board think they know better than the actual NHL executives that chose this location in first place. Hell there are a million better places to be, but it may be possibly that none of them were viable for what Calgary wanted to do with its minor league team?

Don't get me wrong, I would love to have an AHL team in say a nice Canadian city but there is only a small few without pre-existing markets that would seriously draw away from the AHL coffers.