Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2015, 08:17 PM   #1141
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yes Mahogany has Fibre to the home.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:56 PM   #1142
PsnaP
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Any community in Calgary (and some surrounding areas) that were built in say 2003 and on will have a composite drop. Meaning both copper and fibre. Those areas now will have fibre the rest of the way. Communities that were built in 2011 (or so) will just be strictly fibre. TELUS is not putting anymore copper in the ground for residential services. The map in the link shows existing areas that are being over laid with fibre. These are mostly areas with aerial infrastructure (which is easier to over lay) In some cases, a bonded service on copper can provide up to 50 meg (I think they are trialling 100). A bonded service is 2 VDSL lines brought into the house and a special modem (with 2 jacks) is installed. I hope this clarifies a few things...
PsnaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #1143
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

My Telus wireless has been having problems lately. (new Actiontec router)

It's range/strength has taken a big hit and most importantly it'll randomly just dump the signal and everything connected will lose connection. It'll come back in 10 -15 seconds, but it's a major pain.

I went in and switched it's channel from Auto to 11 just to see if that did anything, but no improvement.

Is my router just on it's last legs?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:23 PM   #1144
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

So with the latest shaw price increase coming up, thinking of switching to Telus. Quick question though:

It's not satellite, correct? Still runs over coax? Noticed something on the first few pages of this thread of coax vs Cat5. I have no Cat5 going to my living room (it fried last year - no idea why). Is it an issue if I don't have Cat5 everywhere I have a TV?
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:41 PM   #1145
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have an issue where the tv audio breaks up and then eventually drops out completely? Changing the channel seems to fix it, but it's hella annoying.
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2015, 01:10 AM   #1146
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
So with the latest shaw price increase coming up, thinking of switching to Telus. Quick question though:

It's not satellite, correct? Still runs over coax? Noticed something on the first few pages of this thread of coax vs Cat5. I have no Cat5 going to my living room (it fried last year - no idea why). Is it an issue if I don't have Cat5 everywhere I have a TV?
Last time I had Telus they put the main terminal in my electrical room which then fed coax to the other cable boxes.

Crappy thing with optic for me was whenever I turned my tv's on my internet would go to hell. I think it's due to them running IP tv. Their picture quality also isn't nearly as nice IMO.

If you can get fiber I'm sure it'll be a lot better, but in my area it was brutal with Telus. Same feedback from my neighbors.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wooohooo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2015, 02:09 PM   #1147
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Anyone have an issue where the tv audio breaks up and then eventually drops out completely? Changing the channel seems to fix it, but it's hella annoying.
Yes I am getting this lately too. I just jump back and then forward to fix it. Happens probably once an hour. Have been meaning to call them about this.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #1148
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post

I have 3 Optik boxes, one PVR (connected via coax) and two wireless client boxes.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2015, 06:05 PM   #1149
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Talking about fibre to the home, well a couple posts ago, has anyone been able to hook up a reseller (Teksavvy and such) using fibre Internet?
Old 06-24-2015, 10:51 PM   #1150
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Has anyone got on Telus Fibre in Calgary who's in their grey mapped zones that are entitled "Partial coverage - contact us to check" here?https://fibre.telus.com/calgary/avai...y/#map-section

I had a Telus tech out to look at some CEC errors, and he said I had fiber to my house, but when I called in to Telus, they said I wasn't eligible as I had copper to my house... Opposite from what the tech saw when he came out...

Is there anything I can do to get on to someone on the Fibre team who can help? Anyone else had luck getting on Telus Fibre in a "Partial coverage - contact us to check" area?

Sick of the 'archaic' copper service I have at 25mbps
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:45 AM   #1151
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNumbers View Post
Has anyone got on Telus Fibre in Calgary who's in their grey mapped zones that are entitled "Partial coverage - contact us to check" here?https://fibre.telus.com/calgary/avai...y/#map-section

I had a Telus tech out to look at some CEC errors, and he said I had fiber to my house, but when I called in to Telus, they said I wasn't eligible as I had copper to my house... Opposite from what the tech saw when he came out...

Is there anything I can do to get on to someone on the Fibre team who can help? Anyone else had luck getting on Telus Fibre in a "Partial coverage - contact us to check" area?

Sick of the 'archaic' copper service I have at 25mbps

If the tech came out you should have fiber. When they come to do your install they won't be able to use your phone line I believe as they need to use the fiber line. Probably a mix up on the phone.

Although I had a buddy that was told by a door to door guy that he would get fiber if he switched to telus. Yeah... When the installer came it was just regular DSL and service was spotty at best.

Check your basement, you should see two things. If it's telus fiber and new install you'll see this black rigid flat cable or you'll see a white box. If it's those then you should have fiber or else you are probably sol
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:21 AM   #1152
Chingyul
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Where there's no direct fiber, what's the maximum speed service available?
Is it still through phone line connection?

I need to upgrade my parent's service. Still on High Speed Extreme (?) I think. 5 mbps.

Oh, and any luck with retentions? My 6 month promo rate expired. No contract, just curious what is typically available from them.
Chingyul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:21 AM   #1153
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Telus is installing Fibre in my area, and the sceevy salesman have been making the rounds. I was kind of tempted to see what it was about, even though I have a seething hatred for Telus. So I listened and nodded at the lies:

-Telus Fibre at 25mbps is 8x faster than Shaw at 25mbps
-Fibre is light, and it doesn't matter if the signal goes to copper, it's still light pulses so its better
-Shaw has service outages 3 times a year in your neighbourhood because their on copper(haven't had internet drop out in years)
-its no contract, cancel any time(read it when he emailed it to me, it's a contract)
-picture quality will be way better, because we send you the 1080p files(even after I told him my projector was 720P). It doesn't matter, it'll still be waay better
-they have moved all their call centres out of India(no idea on this one, just know that Telus customer service is the WORST)

Anyway, he said the price would be way cheaper, but I looked over the contract, and after 6 months, it's basically the same. So I don't see any reason to change. Have people found Telus to be cheaper than Shaw? It's tough to tell with all their packaging.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #1154
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huge bump, I know.

Looking for some advice to try to get on a Telus promo plan despite being a long term customer.

I have been a customer with Telus for 14 years. My last contract with them expired almost 7 years ago and I'm on month to month. At that time they didn't offer me the option to renew the contract and said they could only offer me a discount to buy the equipment to go month to month, no other discounts could be applied. Both the modem and PVR's are on their last legs now.

I went into a Telus store earlier today to talk to them about the fact I was a long time customer, had been off a contract for a number of years now and wanted to know what offers they had for existing customers that might let me upgrade the equipment as well. I thought the Sales Rep was going to burst out laughing.

Currently, I'm paying $57 a month for Telus Internet 15 and $74 for the Medium Choice Combo (I'm grandfathered in on an old plan) which is Essentials and 6 of the old style of packages. Total bill for both is $131 (minus a 10% discount as I work for a company they offer a discount to and $15 bundle discount for having Internet/TV/Mobilicity).

Any suggestions (including if I'm already paying a decent price and STFU) how to approach getting the promo pricing and some new equipment (even on a rental)?. Last time I would have spoken to Retention's was about 4 years ago when I moved and was trying to get them to match Shaw and was set up to leave them. Unfortunately due to the age of the house, Shaw didn't work out (wiring issue) so I'm stuck with Telus.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:47 PM   #1155
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

My advice is don't let 6 month promo pricing entice you to lock in for 3 years. Buy used equipment and continue month to month.
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2015, 09:51 PM   #1156
Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A bit off topic but anyone else notice Optik loading has been much slower since the new update/format? For ex when pressing "prev" or browsing pre recorded shows it seems to take much longer to load
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2015, 07:51 AM   #1157
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I switched from Shaw to Telus. Telus offered me $75/month for a year for essentials and Internet 25, $135 after that. I upgraded to Internet 50 so it was $10 more.

I have 6 TVs, I know excessive, they offered free rental for 1 PVR and 2 boxes. Wanted $10/month or $150 for purchase for ea of the three more. I went to London Drugs and bought 3 refurbished boxes for $150 total, warranted by Telus.

Anyway, my total savings, after subtracting the hardware purchase over the three year contract is about $750. It's working good, the TV boxes are slower than the gateway system, the Internet is solid (I have fibre).

And yeah after this update the boxes are even slower.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:03 PM   #1158
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
Huge bump, I know.

Looking for some advice to try to get on a Telus promo plan despite being a long term customer.

I have been a customer with Telus for 14 years. My last contract with them expired almost 7 years ago and I'm on month to month. At that time they didn't offer me the option to renew the contract and said they could only offer me a discount to buy the equipment to go month to month, no other discounts could be applied. Both the modem and PVR's are on their last legs now.

I went into a Telus store earlier today to talk to them about the fact I was a long time customer, had been off a contract for a number of years now and wanted to know what offers they had for existing customers that might let me upgrade the equipment as well. I thought the Sales Rep was going to burst out laughing.

Currently, I'm paying $57 a month for Telus Internet 15 and $74 for the Medium Choice Combo (I'm grandfathered in on an old plan) which is Essentials and 6 of the old style of packages. Total bill for both is $131 (minus a 10% discount as I work for a company they offer a discount to and $15 bundle discount for having Internet/TV/Mobilicity).

Any suggestions (including if I'm already paying a decent price and STFU) how to approach getting the promo pricing and some new equipment (even on a rental)?. Last time I would have spoken to Retention's was about 4 years ago when I moved and was trying to get them to match Shaw and was set up to leave them. Unfortunately due to the age of the house, Shaw didn't work out (wiring issue) so I'm stuck with Telus.
With how long you've been a customer I'd forget promos and work towards a retention plan. I say "work" because you have to be prepared to put in a bit of time on the phone but it's worth it.

I've got the 25mbit internet (+unlimited data) and 3-room Optik, with essentials and 3 channel packages for $74/mo all-in. (And I'm still off contract.)

Only downside is that it's all just for 6 months, so I have to call back and renegotiate twice a year.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2016, 03:05 PM   #1159
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleury’sOTGoalCelebration View Post
A bit off topic but anyone else notice Optik loading has been much slower since the new update/format? For ex when pressing "prev" or browsing pre recorded shows it seems to take much longer to load
Jeez, it's brutal now. My recorded shows just sits there and loads for 30 seconds. There is a 2-3 second lag when pressing a button. Even when I use the app on my phone now to browse channels and record, it sometimes doesn't record. Horrible. I used the Shaw box at my parents place yesterday and it was lightning fast.
Will Telus give you a new box for free if you purchased one before? Mine's about 5 years old and I'm still using the old remote. Will a new box fix things?
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #1160
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah what a brutal update. I did a hard reset on my box to attempt to fix something, but it is super laggy still
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote